Post All Oscar Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
BEST PICTURE @ the Oscars

The Oscars take place Sunday night in Los Angeles. One of the most hotly contested races is for BEST PICTURE.

Who should win? Who will win?

Your choices are:
'Chicago'
'Gangs of New York'
'The Hours'
'The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers'
'The Pianist'

There's no wrong answer here! :wave:

I've only seen the Pianist. Good film.

Chicago - not my type
LOTR - not my type either
Gangs Of New York - No Children Under 16, I hate my government :angry:
The Hours - Will see this weekend when it opens, sounds good. They cut three so-called lesbian kisses in the film so people like me can watch it with a PG-rating, so I don't know whether to uphold my anti-censorship stance or be thankful.
The Pianist - Excellent, but meandering

Hmm...

Last edited:
I think LOTR should win, but it won't. Chicago will, which is alright. I did enjoy it quite a bit.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't think Gangs was a great film? It was good...I just don't think it's Best Picture material. But maybe that's just me... :shrug:

Btw, I've seen all the nominees except The Pianist.

My vote is for Chicago for who I want to win. I also think it will most likely win. The Hours was fabulous, though. Sad, but fabulous.

I've only seen LOTR and want it to win. I have The Hours and Gangs of NY downloaded, but haven't watched them yet.

:angry: Gangs left my city before I could see it.

I have seen 4 of the 5 and say this:

Gangs - It will win
Chicago - good flick, but not a chance
The Pianist - good, but too long and nothing too new ( I feel bad saying that too, considering the concept of the movie, but :shrug: )
The Hours - Amazing movie, but I also don't believe it has a chance (Will pick up many acting awards).
LOTR - This is my choice of SHOULD win, but it won't. There is always next year Peter Jackson. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Angel said:

Gangs - It will win
Chicago - good flick, but not a chance

Really? Most say Chicago is the shoo-in bc Gangs was too flawed - but that Marty has a good chance of winning Best Director.

Possibly. I haven't seen the film, but I just have a feeling Scorsese will clean house. As for Chicago, I :heart:'d it very much, but I find it very very very unlikely that the Academy will recognise a musical as the best picture of the year. :shrug:

Angel said:
Possibly. I haven't seen the film, but I just have a feeling Scorsese will clean house. As for Chicago, I :heart:'d it very much, but I find it very very very unlikely that the Academy will recognise a musical as the best picture of the year. :shrug:

Well, West Side Story, Oliver, and Gigi all won Best Picture their years. Granted those were all some time ago, but it doesn't seem like the Academy has something against musicals.

Scorsese will definitely win Best Director, though.

i actually heard what carrie did. that scorcese will nab director but chicago is tipped to win picture. i loved them both so who knows. all i know is i really want daniel day lewis to win. if he does i don't care how the rest of it goes. i would love to see latifah win but i know that's a total long shot.

Screaming Flower said:
all i know is i really want daniel day lewis to win. if he does i don't care how the rest of it goes. i would love to see latifah win but i know that's a total long shot.

ditto.

although I know I'll be disappointed when LOTR doesn't win, even though I know it won't.

I agree. I wish it would win this year. :sigh: There is still hope. I think I would be upset if Chicago won over LOTR, but not if Gangs did. :crack: There is no method to my thinking.

I see your point Hallelujah, re. Musicals. I still personally don't see it happening... I could be very wrong though.

U2 better win. :angry:

AND... as much as I loved Latifah's performance and how cool it would be for her to win, she is up against my darling Julianne Moore's performance in the Hours, and her performance was so bone chillingly good... I'll cry if she doesn't win. :scream:

i haven't seen that movie. :silent: i LOVE julianne moore. she is amazing.

and if u2 doesn't win i will break things. :angry:

my predictions

Chicago will probably win.

or the Pianist.

I did see all five films, I don't even think they were the best films of the year. I did like them.

Yertle, the lez kissing sceens in Hours were so low key. I barely remember them.

Re: my predictions

deep said:
Yertle, the lez kissing sceens in Hours were so low key. I barely remember them.
I agree! When she posted that I had to think about it, lol.

Didn't LOTR win Best Pictures last year? I doubt it would win two years in a row. :scratch: :shrug:

By all media reports, and all bet makers, Chicago is the film to beat. Gangs has gotten mucho criticism for not being an all-together terrific film - but that Marty will nail Best Director for all of the great films he's ever done.

Who knows. It's definitely a close one! Exciting too!

LOTR will not win this year or next, sorry guys it is not the type they vote for.

WARNING ------------HOURS SPOILER ----------DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW PLOT DEVICES FOR ---HOURS------OK

Hi Angel,

I think I like this film the best of the five.

I agree J. Moore should win the award.

Back to lezbo kisses. Were there two or three?. I remember when Moore kissed Toni Collette
(not good casting,imo). I remember when Kidman kissed M. Richardson, her sister? Did M. Streep kiss her SO?. I don?t remember. None of these scenes had any sparks, passion. imo.

Ed Harris was great, only 2 scenes. It is a part that stands out. I always like him and don?t care if he wins or not.
I did not recognize Jeff Daniels, he has put on the weight.

P Glass score was great, too

I've seen everything but the Pianist. I won't go into detail or anything on the other four, but here's my ratings.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (10/10)
Gangs of New York (9/10)
Chicago (8/10)
The Hours (7.5/10)

HelloAngel said:

Yes, Meryl did kiss Alyson Janney. And why do we have to refer to it as "lezbo?" :eyebrow:

Yes. I think I remember, it was inconsequential

I am not aware if ?lezbo? in politically incorrect.

Next time I will just write lesbian.

I told you, I hate my censors!

BTW, Angel, I'm a guy :). I watched the Hours today, and to be honest, I didn't get it. I liked it, yes, but it seemed to end way too early. I felt it hadn't got into gear yet.

As for acting...well, I'm going to say I hope Michael Caine wins. He was excellent in The Quiet American.

Back
Top Bottom