Post All Oscar Discussion Here - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2003, 09:07 AM   #31
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Local Time: 05:51 PM
Sorry yertle

Old 03-20-2003, 10:05 AM   #32
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:51 PM

i haven't seen any of those movies yet

Old 03-20-2003, 10:35 AM   #33
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:51 PM
I've seen Lotr, Chicago and Gangs... I loved them all! Gangs was a bit boring sometimes, but on the other hand it had some amazing scenes too. Chicago was really cool too... but my heart belongs to LOTR!
Old 03-20-2003, 10:45 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:51 PM
The only one I haven't seen is The Pianist.

My vote goes to The Hours. That movie stayed w/ me..I saw it months ago, and I still think about it. Maybe it just touched me for personal reasons, but it was the kind of movie I love, and the kind I wish Hollywood would make far more often.

I loved Chicago, and I'm 99% sure it will win Best Picture. After Renee's win at the SAG awards, she might win the Oscar too. Nicole was the early frontrunner, but there is talk about Julianne too.

Has anyone seen Far From Heaven? I haven't
Old 03-20-2003, 11:09 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

I thought Nicole was fabu in The Hours - but it was such a small part. A very affecting part - but small nonetheless... She had as much or smaller screen time then Catherine Z-J in Chicago and she's up for Best Supporting. Odd.

I have no idea who should win Best Actress. I didn't think Renee was all tooo impressive. But loved Chicago nonetheless.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:36 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
I thought Nicole was fabu in The Hours - but it was such a small part. A very affecting part - but small nonetheless... She had as much or smaller screen time then Catherine Z-J in Chicago and she's up for Best Supporting. Odd.
It all has to do with the filmakers wanting to get as many awards as possible for their film. Because, when it comes down to it, more Oscars = more money. Catherine was not in a supporting role, but if she and Renee were in the same category, only one of them could win. Now they both could win, increasing the total award count for the movie. Same with The Hours. All three actresses were in the film for roughly the same amount of time, yet Julianne is up for best supporting actress and Nicole is up for lead actress. On one hand it's nice that both could win for such fine performances, but it also means that people in *actual* supporting roles (like Queen Latifah, who was superb) get overlooked. It really is interesting how this ends up working.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:54 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:51 PM
I've seen all of them. The Hours was my personal favorite and I'd like to see it win, but Hollywood seems to be ga ga over Chicago. I hate musicals but even I sorta liked it and even though Renee bugs the shit out of me, she really rose to the occasion and was perfect in a hugely challenging role. I dread seeing her emotional annoying acceptance speech.

I think Chicago will get best film while Scorcese gets best director (which is always weird when that happens since those two awards theoretically should go hand in hand).
Old 03-20-2003, 12:11 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:51 AM
Reflections on the Hours (more complete, spoilers):

In short, excellent film. The acting was top-notch, and I absolutely loved the score. What bugged me was the complete abruptness of the ending. I felt it was missing a huge chunk in between somehow. I haven't read either the original novel or Mrs Dalloway, so perhaps I'm missing something, but I completely lost the plot somewhere in between. Maybe it was too engaging. I'm actually going to try and download this (goodness knows how you people do it, I get crap speeds on Kazaa everytime I try) and go to bed soon, and watch Mrs Dalloway on Sunday (which my arts channel is so conveniently screening). Cheers. This is the movie I'll be rooting for, by the way, although in all probability Chicago will win.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:18 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:51 PM
The only movie out of those choices that I have seen is the LOTR so therefore I vote for that movie bc all of the others I havent seen
Old 03-20-2003, 01:25 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yertle-the-turtle
Reflections on the Hours (more complete, spoilers):

In short, excellent film. The acting was top-notch, and I absolutely loved the score. What bugged me was the complete abruptness of the ending. I felt it was missing a huge chunk in between somehow. I haven't read either the original novel or Mrs Dalloway, so perhaps I'm missing something, but I completely lost the plot somewhere in between. Maybe it was too engaging. I'm actually going to try and download this (goodness knows how you people do it, I get crap speeds on Kazaa everytime I try) and go to bed soon, and watch Mrs Dalloway on Sunday (which my arts channel is so conveniently screening). Cheers. This is the movie I'll be rooting for, by the way, although in all probability Chicago will win.
I read the book and the film was pretty loyal. There was more going on in the characters' subjective dialogue that you had to get nonverbally in the film, but there was nothing missing in terms of outer events. But I know what you mean...the ending is a bit abrupt and I was particularly disatisfied with Meryl Streep's character's response...the film makes it seems almost like it's all resolved for her but I think she's just in shock.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:28 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

The Hours haunted me for weeks. Really really really heavy, intense film. WOW.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:12 PM   #42
Refugee

I would obstain from voting, because I think "Adaptation" was the best film of the year.

Chicago was okay, and I never saw 'The Hours", "LOTR: Part 2" , "Gangs of New York", or "The Pianist". I consider them all to be too dramatically depressing for the times we're living in, so I'm more interested and entralled in comedies and touching, uplifting stories.

I hope U2 wins, but that's about it.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:19 PM   #43
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel
The Hours haunted me for weeks. Really really really heavy, intense film. WOW.
Indeed. I found Julianne Moore's character just tormenting. I wanted to jump into the movie and hug her little boy.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:44 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel

Indeed. I found Julianne Moore's character just tormenting. I wanted to jump into the movie and hug her little boy.
OMG, that little boy! His eyes!

Julieanne Moore was amazing. She really made that character incredibly sympathetic.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:55 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
I think Chicago will win. This is the first year in a long time that I have really liked the majority of the films nominated. I loved both Chicago and The Hours. The acting in The Hours was amazing and the movie actually had me choking up which rarely happens.

I think Catherine could stand a chance for supporting actress. The SAG could help Renee but I would lean more toward Nicole or Julienne. I would pick Daniel Day-Lewis for best actor and I think it's a good possibilty that they could give Marty best director...not necessarily for Gangs but for his body of work.

And U2 will win...they just have to. The song from Chicago could win but it didnt really stand out from the others in the movie.