Post All Oscar Discussion Here - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2003, 06:31 PM   #196
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
i'm too lazy to read the whole thread, i don't know if someone answered this, a bunch of people were wearing the same pin brody has on his lapel. was there some significance to it?

I believe it was an anti-war pin... but I'm not certain.

Old 03-24-2003, 06:37 PM   #197
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:58 PM
He looks semi-normal in that pic but he sure didnt look like that when he was making his speech

Old 03-24-2003, 08:50 PM   #198
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
1) I thought Michael Moore's outburst was distasteful. It is true, you are free to say whatever you want and Lord knows I don't support the war, but there were plenty of other speakers last night who spoke their mind subtly, eloquently and rather movingly, I thought. Michael Moore's outburst was unintelligible, boorish, loud, arrogant and frenzied.
Couldn't agree with you more on this one, Anthony. He acted like a pure ass, regardless of what his stance is.

And sis, Adrien is not as hot as Larry, but those eyes....

and did I mention Daniel Day-Lewis?
Old 03-24-2003, 09:32 PM   #199
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

I believe it was an anti-war pin... but I'm not certain.

that's what my mom thought it was. she kept pointing out people wearing a pin on their lapel...

my mom: what's on daniel day-lewis' lapel? brody has one too...(after brody's speech) i bet it's an anti-war pin, for peace or something

anyone know for sure?
Old 03-24-2003, 09:33 PM   #200
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

and did I mention Daniel Day-Lewis?

Old 03-24-2003, 10:16 PM   #201
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

I think that Adrian Brody is pretty cute! I had never really noticed him before last night but my eyes were glued to the TV screen! I must rush out to the Piano right away! He has that sort of angular, Edgeiness that appeals to me...... (sorry Sicy!)

I have not yet seen the Piano or the Hours (I am very behind on my movies this year) but I LOVED Chicago. I also loved LOTR, but I think it will sweep everything next year. Gangs was of course a very well made movie, but there was just something about the characters...none of them did it for me, and when I can't relate to anyone, I enjoy the movie less.

As for Cameron Diaz, that woman has the most enormous mouth I have ever seen! I swear she could stuff an entire apple in there no problem! It annoyed me that her hair was dripping over her eyes and that she was chewing gum too.....sometimes she looks beautiful, but most of the time she just bugs me.

Selma looked gorgeous. Considering how she carried that entire movie on her own, I think it's kind of sad that she didn't win.

Oh, also, I believe that was a dove (peace) pin they were all wearing.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:25 PM   #202
Blue Crack Supplier

i wouldn't go and say that i identified with bill the butcher..but i still thought it was an amazing character
Old 03-24-2003, 10:41 PM   #203
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Oh...that didn't come out quite right...I didn't mean relate/identify, I meant more "become involved with" or absorbed with the character in some way.

I also wish DDL would grow his hair back....
Old 03-24-2003, 10:46 PM   #204
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Edge
Oh...that didn't come out quite right...I didn't mean relate/identify, I meant more "become involved with" or absorbed with the character in some way.

I also wish DDL would grow his hair back....

heh, i see what you mean now...

don't know, kinda like the shaved head look i don't really find day-lewis all that attractive, to tell you the truth...i just really like him as an actor...
Old 03-24-2003, 10:51 PM   #205
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

Maybe I'm on crack rock, but wooo I think he's
Hummmmmm-a-nahhhhhhhh.

Join Amnesty.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:17 PM   #206
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:58 PM
Okay...I personally don't think Adrian Brody is cute.

But that's just me. .

And while I agree with a lot of what he was saying, he went on awfully long, and eventually I was like, "Uh...okay...we'd like to continue the show now..."

Michael Moore-I hadn't heard much about him until last night-I agree with his little rant on Bush, but maybe this wasn't the best place to do it, after all that had happened yesterday.

Eh. Oh, well. He said it, it's done, we should just move on.

Anywho, on to the big surprise of the night (at least for me):

I am seriously shocked that Eminem won the Oscar. I honestly did not think the people would give it to him. While I do like Eminem's music, and while I do like that song, I wish U2 had won-in my opinion, I thought their song was the best, and it would've been cool to see them win an Oscar.

Their performance was awesome-the lyric change was interesting.

Paul Simon's song made me teary-eyed last night-that song's really sweet.

I figured "Chicago" would win a good deal of awards. I have not seen that movie yet, so I can't say how it is, but my mom said, "You know, sometimes there's a lot of hype about a movie, and that movie gets awards based solely on that-and sometimes the movie really isn't as great as people make it out to be."

Maybe I'll check it out sometime when it comes to video or something. I dunno.

So, yeah...there's my commentary.

Angela
Old 03-24-2003, 11:25 PM   #207
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing

Academy loves glitzy, glamourous? Look at the past winners:
A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator, American Beauty, Shakespeare in Love, Titanic, The English Patient, Braveheart, Schindler's List. Granted, Gladiator, Shakespeare, Titanic, and maybe Braveheart are BIG movies, large casts, special effects, but glitz and glamour and razzle dazzle? I don't see it.

For the record, just because I enjoyed Chicago and didn't think ALL the nominees were better films (maybe some, not all) doesn't mean that 'm not a 'real' film fan. We can have varied tastes and opinions, but still be educated, intelligent, informed, critical, 'real' movie fans.
Thank you. I actually think Chicago's win went against the Academy's general tendencies. The Academy tends to go for sort of grand, dramatic, "important" films, and not those that are seen as "entertaining" (ie musicals and comedies). Musicals have won in the past, so it's not unprecedented, but if the Academy loves musicals so much, why didn't Moulin Rouge win last year? (I actually think Moulin paved the way for Chicago's win). Chicago's win was only predictable in the sense that everyone predicted it would win and it ended up winning.

Also, while I truly do not think Chicago was the best film of the year, I still thought it was a better film than both Gangs and The Hours. I liked both of those movies and appreciated what they were trying to do, but Chicago was far-better realized. And, sorry, but nobody here has the right to say what opinions "real" film fans should have.

Note that I'm not disagreeing that the Academy needs to broaden it's horizons, but I would say this more in the sense that they need to not just vote for whatever has the most buzz surrounding it.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:32 AM   #208
Refugee

--Steve Martin is becoming the best part of the Oscars. Anyone who has heard his stand-up routine from the late-1970's knows that he's a brilliant comedian, and the Oscars proved that he's still capable of winning an audience.

--I don't agree with the winners in the main categories, nor do I care enough about the Oscars to hold any grudges against the choices. It's all about politics, and as soon as we realize this the sooner we'll turn the channel to "The Man Show" on Comedy Central How else can ANYONE explain why Peter O'Toole had to wait over 40 years to receive ONE, and why Martin Scorcese, Robert Altman, and Glenn Close haven't won a single statuette?

--U2's "Hands That Built America" is one of their weakest songs. That's just my opinion, so I have no qualms in saying it didn't deserved Best Song. Eminem's 'Lose Yourself" was a huge hit, one of his best offerings, and touched more people than the chamberistic, drone of U2's "...America". The Oscar usually goes to slow, promenading, ballad (Streets of Philadelphia) or a Disney pop song, so hearing a rap song win was a breath of fresh air.

--Michael Moore's speech was uplifting for anyone prone to disagree with Governor Bush. For a country so divided over the war it was odd that his remarks were met with so much hatred. Just two weeks ago the entire nation....heck....the entire WORLD was bitterly divided over whether killing Iraqis was a viable solution to the problem, and then suddenly everyone appeared to change sides just because "our boys....ie troops" were risking their lives. Are we all too stupid to realize that dissent from war is different than dissent from supporting the troops? Are we?

His speech was blunt and direct, which is exactly what it needed to be. We are at war. This isn't a skip thru the park....this is people's deaths, people's lives. This is something that SHOULD give birth to passion and directness. Michael's points were all truthful.....non-fiction to use his term, and those points cannot be denied. They CAN be booed, they CAN be silenced by sheepish conformists, but that CANNOT be denied.

Adrien Brody and several other individuals made elloquent statements, pussy-footed their way around, and appealed to the middle of the road. They're comments were vague and usually resulted in a one word summarization, "Peace". Let's have peace, bring us peace, no war is peace....blah blah blah. We all know that peace is preferable, so does it matter if we hear someone say that theory is a calm, monotose manner? NO. So why are we surprised that most people applauded that delivering?

Moore was the slap in the face that Americans needed. He was confident, he was brash, he was sure of himself. His stature, his delivery will encourage more dissent and empower people like you and me to question our leadership. Something that people today appear to have forgetten about.

Viva Moore, Viva Taco Bell, viva U2, viva Claritan (it really does work!), and viva "viva", because without Spanish words that illicit rage, what else do we have?

Old 03-25-2003, 04:40 AM   #209
New Yorker

I'd be less disappointed about Chicago winning if it hadn't come along so rapidly on the heels of Moulin Rouge. Its almost as if a couple of execs saw Baz Luhrmann's film and said "Hey thats a good idea, but lets take a well respected stage musical, throw millions of bucks at it and make it as Hollywood as possible...it'll win Oscars and we'll be hailed for returning the musical to prominence."
Old 03-25-2003, 06:09 AM   #210
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 10:58 PM
Hmm I dunno Betty I see it that Baz did a wonderful arty piece of work, very individually........something I enjoyed as equally as I did with Chicago, but in a whole different traffic lane.

So yes, to me they run head to head, but one leads to Hollywood success, and the other leads to Hollywood buckcess.

get me?

I dont even get myself now.........
though one is in a completely diff league to the other......Moulin was a story based on a place......Chicago was a story based on a musical