Post All Oscar Discussion Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good movie, Chicago, didn't deserve all the hype and praise, but then again most Oscar-hyped movies never do ('A Beautiful Mind anyone?). I'm glad Catherine Zeta Jones won, though. Go, Catherine, do it for Britain!

Actually, I believe that CHICAGO is getting all the hype and all the credit for something MOULIN ROUGE did, which was the revival of the musicals. Everyone goes on about how Chicago has revived the musical, how its restored the confidence of the executives in investing money into new musicals, when it was Moulin Rouge, and Baz Luhrmann's amazing vision which did all that.

Viva Daniel Day Lewis, the true winner of the Oscar!
Viva Mr. Scorsese, the true winner of the Oscar!

Razzle dazzle my foot. :mad:

Ant.

I love Danny Day!

Anthony loves Danny Day too!

Hey Ant, no doubt u saw him win at the Golden Globes........he seemed so nervous!

AND after seeing his face as he applauded U2's performance, u could tell he was at home, and a bit emotional.

I just wanted to..........smoooooooch him badly!

:faint:

While I wasn't overcome with a feeling to smooch him (lol), I have always admired and liked Danny Day; not only is he an AMAZING actor, he is incredibly down to Earth. Oh, and he lives in Italy as a cobbler and is married to the daughter of the playwright Arthur Miller - how cool is that?

I was a bit disappointed with his decision to 'boycott Hollywood' and thus stop doing movies for a while as he once called them 'sad tossers' or something - but glad to see he's back. He single-handedly stole the movie from everyone else (including Mr. Scorsese's direction) and was the most unique performance from all the Actor nominees. No, 'Gangs' may not have been labelled as important as 'The Pianist', but Mr. Day Lewis deserved it far more than Adrien Brody (not do discredit him, but if you watch Day Lewis in 'Gangs', the man is on fire).

Yup, I saw him at the GOlden Globes and at the Baftas (where he won), in all of them he looked overcome with emotion and intensely shy. Very cool guy indeed.

Mr Day Lewis rocks. He should have won.
Oh, and Mr. Scorsese too. :mad:

Ant.

u know what, I adore him too Ant...........I loved him in In The Name....but I STILL have to see the one he has been praised about the most - My Left Foot.

I never got to see Gangs man........I still want to but pple I wanna go with arent ***************** interested!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:angry:

I like to savour these things. What a way to hear The Hands That Built America for the first time. Live....I'm glad it worked out that way for me, to see them perform it at the Academy Awards...it was very cool indeed. It brings a tear now to think of Bono almost keening there. I didn't get to see Gangs of New York either maddie. It will be another ocassion to look forward to.I haven't even seen the movie and I know Daniel Day Lewis would have earned the Academy Award...next time.

I must admit the song that did win was a ripper too. That lady's voice was amazing, exciting. I look forward to seeing Frida one day too.

Frida ROCKED. But it didn't win Best song, it won 'Best Score'. But I know what you mean, gorgeous music.

And I couldn't help notice that someone in this thread at the beginning mentioned that they cut the lesbian kisses in 'The Hours'; is this true? That would be... ridiculous! They allowed it in Britain, and I know that if they did cut out the lesbian kisses it would be a very different movie!

Surely not. Anyone else seen 'The Hours' in America?

Ant.

daniel day-lewis kicked SERIOUS ass as bill the butcher. no question about it. i'm so fucking sick of reading critics saying that he was annoying and over the top. he was perfect as bill the butcher. the most insane character and seemed...more real? beleivable? than some kind of psychopathic killer normally seems in a movie...

*wonering how many times i've posted saying he's the best actor ever*

(see my sig? hehehe)

he was fucking amazing in 'my left foot' as well. 'in the name of the father' has got to be one of the best movies i've ever seen; i hardly ever watch movies multiple times but when i rented it i watched it one night and then again the next day. i liked 'the boxer' too.

scorsese does rock. he rocks very much indeed. he's made so many movies that are far more amazing than tons of others who have won best director. it's quite pathetic on the acaedmy's part that he's never won. i like watching movies for the entertainment of watching a movie, not cos i like to examine aspects of filmmaking. i took a class in high school on films, and had to write more papers analyzing movies than i'd wish to remember. guh..i hated that class...and the teacher. he'd interupt you when you were trying to participate in a discussion and talk over you when you tried to finish your point. and he was too dense to notice when i was trying to pick a fight...and insulted 'arsenic and old lace' (with cary grant, based on a play, i think), which is one of the funniest movies i've ever seen...uh...sorry...[/tangent] but come to think of it, he only thought scorsese was OK :mad:

cass said:
I like to savour these things. What a way to hear The Hands That Built America for the first time. Live....I'm glad it worked out that way for me, to see them perform it at the Academy Awards...it was very cool indeed. It brings a tear now to think of Bono almost keening there. I didn't get to see Gangs of New York either maddie. It will be another ocassion to look forward to.I haven't even seen the movie and I know Daniel Day Lewis would have earned the Academy Award...next time.

I must admit the song that did win was a ripper too. That lady's voice was amazing, exciting. I look forward to seeing Frida one day too.

next time? how do we know day-lewis will be in another movie? as much as i'd love to see him be in more movies, i respect the reasons he gives in interviews and articles for not being in tons of movies. :up: he's cool

Back
Top Bottom