Post A Pic Of Your NHL Team's City Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to live in Vancouver or Montreal. :drool:

Here's Denver. I had a hard time finding any photos! I guess they don't want anyone to know how ugly the city really is! but to be kind, I'm posting the most glamorous ones I found. At least you can see the mountains in this first one...it's a funky shot, they look much closer then that every day:

33742%3A9923232%7Ffp65%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3B%3B7%3D%3A64%3Dxroqdf%3E232338%3A75523%3Bot1lsi

The Pepsi Center is on the far right on this one, practically unrecognizable. My college is right across the street! I can practically touch the arena.

33742%3A9923232%7Ffp6%3A%3Dot%3E2328%3D%3B%3B7%3D%3A64%3Dxroqdf%3E232338%3A7545%3C9ot1lsi

Here's the Pepsi Center, if it works. I saw U2 here--lousy sound except for hockey games!
PCOutside.gif

Last edited:
I :heart: Saint Paul, too. It's just not as photogenic as Minneapolis.

Didn't you like my pictures? :(

I'm feeling bored, so just to tick Angel off and persuade her to stay on the West coast, here are some more pics of Vancouver...

Overhead shot of downtown taken a long time ago before many of the buildings that exist now were built:
vancouver.jpg

Looking towards Granville Island harbour:
gisland2.jpg

Looking towards English Bay and Stanley Park:
sunbeach.jpg

Looking towards downtown from Kitsilano, where I used to live:
1000-17.jpg

Looking towards downtown from Gerico Beach:
west10.jpg

Last edited:
Finally, found a couple pics of our library that was blown up in the Shwarzenegger movie. It's so big, that these shots can't duplicate what it really looks like, but here you go...

The first half of it:
DSC00036.jpg

vpl1.jpg

Last edited:
I miss my Saint Paul - and will really miss it for the playoff games. :(

Target Center SUCKS! Especially when you compare it to Excel! But - as long as U2 is promoted by SFX (which owns the Target Center) - they will play across the river.

Tommy Hilfiger Amp @ Jones Beach is a lousy name. And I will always call it Jones Beach. What a great venue.

Wait AvsGirl...you go to school right across from the arena!? Maybe one day Skoula will get lost on the way to work and end up in the office where you work, asking for directions.

SKOULA: I--wait, where am I??
AVSGIRL: Oh my god! You must have post-concussion syndrome or something! I'll take care of you!
SKOULA: Wha--

okay that made no sense...

This is fun! I MSG is awesome. I've always wanted to watch the Rangers play there, though they suck now.

Here's a foggy day in February, viewed from West Vancouver looking into downtown. Imagine being on the top floors of those buildings looking down across that bed of cloud! You can see the top parts of Lion's Gate Bridge peaking through near the middle and the right of the photo:
fogfeb77.GIF

And here a couple not so foggy days taken at Kits beach (a block from my old place *sigh*):
4330_09c_t.JPG

4330_03c_t.JPG

Last edited:
Bbug said:
Wait AvsGirl...you go to school right across from the arena!? Maybe one day Skoula will get lost on the way to work and end up in the office where you work, asking for directions.

SKOULA: I--wait, where am I??
AVSGIRL: Oh my god! You must have post-concussion syndrome or something! I'll take care of you!
SKOULA: Wha--

okay that made no sense...

:laugh:

I have spent many hours hoping that he'd get hungry for a McDonalds or Taco Bell and that someone would point out that "there's one in the campus."

Or maybe someone would tell him about the delicious patty melts at The Merc and he'd get lost and come in for directions. He'd probably wander into Advising first, but since they refer any and all questions to our office.... :mac: :p

Lemon Meringue said:
I :heart: Saint Paul, too. It's just not as photogenic as Minneapolis.

Didn't you like my pictures? :(

of course i did :hug:

i'm just biased cos though i can see both skylines from my bedroom window, st. paul is closer ;)

here is Detroit! the grey flat building on the left is The Joe.

Attachments

• detroit.jpg
    detroit.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 35
my native toronto
toronto.jpg

Toronto-Canada.jpg

the air canada center
acc.jpg

my present home, ottawa. a very proud city with a regional population of 3 quarters of a million, only 17 000 of whom can find the time to go to a second round playoff game. sad.

ottawa.jpg

i am presently sitting on the second to top floor of the large white building on the right side of the pic below
ottawa.jpg

and the corel center, where the sens play. fyi, it is about a half hour away. a half hour that is multiplied by 3 before and after games.
033corel.jpg

Hey thanks guys! This is asesome. This is a good opportunity to see what these various places look like. Alright, we need some pics of Edmonton, Calgary (any Flames fans here?), and the other teams that people cheer for from down South!

smoke this Angel. ;)

[q]The Atlanta Flames (NHL) 1972-1980

They all laughed the day hockey came to Atlanta. It was
a sick kind of a laugh for it was not a very funny joke
to most hockey people. They saw this as the last rotten
board in an already dilapidated house.

Atlanta - a city where football was king - a city where
basketball and baseball were themselves barely hanging on
(with only minor league baseball seven years earlier) - a city
where hockey was foreign and the only ice rink little used.

"The NHL is greedy," they wrote in the fall of 1971. "It's only
expanding for the the six million dollar entry fee. And it's
foolish, since Atlanta is bound to make the league a
laughingstock."

"The National Hockey League." wrote one Montreal columnist,
"has become senile."

Oh, how wrong they all were.

Above is the introduction to The Babes of Winter, an inside
history of the Atlanta Flames early years, written by Jim Huber and Tom Saladino.

A short history of the Atlanta Flames.

Nov. 9,1971 - NHL franchise awarded to Atlanta.
March 2,1972 - Coliseum named the OMNI.
May 22,1972 - "Boom Boom" Geoffrion named coach
June 7,1972 - first and second expansion draft choices - Phil Myre and Dan Bouchard,both goaltenders
June 9,1972 - first amateur draft choice - Jacques Richard.
June 10,1972 - first signed contract - Bob Leiter.
June 11,1972 - Ken (Jiggs) McDonald announced as play-by-play broadcaster.
Sept.17,1972 - first exhibition game (Atlanta 4, N.Y. Islanders 1).
Oct. 14,1972 - first home game (Altanta 1, Buffalo 1)
April 4,1980 - last home game - versus N.Y. Islanders

Although the Flames ranked 15th in the league in attendance,
it was not enough to save them from being sold to Calgary.
It was not a lack of fan support that caused the sale of the
team. More so, it was due to a lack of major television
contract and a crumbling real estate empire that caused
the sale of the Flames.
In a late bid, actor Glenn Ford offered a reported eight
million dollars for the team, but it did not come close to
matching the reported sixteen million dollars offered by
Calgary interests.
atlflame.gif
[/q]

i grew up with the coach's grandson. and his grandson is now a professional baseball player.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom