Possibly my lamest thread ever...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
But I really am curious:

What do/did you call your grandparents to keep them straight?

My dad's dad died before I was born, so that wasn't really an issue; we just called my mom's dad "Grandpa".

My mom's mom is "Nonnie" (not sure how that came about), and my mom's grandma we called Netta (probably derived from her name Annette). My dad's mom is just Grandma.

It seems to have been decided already that my future kids will call my mom 'Nana' - my mom likes that and so my nephew has a Nana and a Grandma.

What other variations have you called your grandparents?

Both my grandfathers died before I was born, but I always called my Grandmothers "grandmother".

Grandma and Grandpa...and attach their last name. Though my sister and I liked to call our one grandma "Graham Cracker". I started calling her that one day when I was little. It kind of stuck.

I call my mom's mom - Cosininas - she used to call us that when we were younger (it means little cutie)

and I call my dad's mom - Abuelita (spanish for grandmother)

All of my grandparents passed away while I was still very young, but my sisters and I have always called them simply "grandma" and "grandpa."

My nephew, however, has some pretty silly names for my mom and his other grandmother. My mom is called "Graham Cracker" :p and the other grandmother goes by "Gobble Gobble." :coocoo: I have no idea where Gobble Gobble comes from, but apparently that's what she likes to be called. My sister and I gave my mother the nickname Graham Cracker as a joke and it stuck. The grandfathers again simply go by "grandpa."

Bonochick said:
Grandma and Grandpa...and attach their last name. Though my sister and I liked to call our one grandma "Graham Cracker". I started calling her that one day when I was little. It kind of stuck.

Graham Cracker! :lol: Wow, BC! So it's not just my family! :D

My mom called her parents Mother and Father so that's what we grandkids called them. My dad's parents are Dutch, so they are Oma and Opa.

I called my dad's parents Grandma and Grandpa. I've always been closest with them. My mom's mother is called by a lame nickname b/c she has never accepted the fact that she become a Grandmother. And since she has had 3 husbands since I've been born, I haven't had a grandfather to name. I just refer to them all as my "new stepgrandfathers." :lol:

No a lame thread

I didn't have nicknames for my grandparents. For our kids, their grandparents are identified as follows:

My parents - grandpa & grandma

My wife's parents - pop & nano

The Chinese have specific names for each specific relative....

We call our Paternal granfather: "ye ye"
We call our Maternal grandfather: "gonggong"
We call our Paternal grandmother: "nai nai"
We call our Maternal grandmother: "po po"

There are also a whole bunch of other specific names, each for your father's sibilings and mother's sibilings, and second cousin relatives, etc. etc. In other words, there's no one generic word for uncles, aunts, and cousins.

Anh... why am I saying this?... It probably doesn't interest most people.

Last edited:
We've always called them Grandma and Grandpa, but follow that by putting in their last names to distinguish when it's necessary.

Not a lame thread at all.............

Unfortunately, I never knew either set of grandparents;

however, the grandkids in the family refer to grandpa

as Pa; my mom was and always will be Nana, rest her soul. :heart:

Last edited:
On my mom's side they are just grandma and grandpa.

On Dad's side, it's grandma and pappy. My great-grandpa (grandma's father), was pappy as well. I think it's a Pennsylvania thing. My friends always laugh when I talk about my pappy though!

bls, I like this thread :cute:

My mom's parents - Grandma & Grandpa (followed by their first names). Unfortunately, Grandpa passed away about 4 years ago.

My Dad's parents - Mema & Poppi (I think my older cousins started this and by the time my sister and I came along it had already stuck). Poppi turned 91 last December :)

BTW - I don't think grandparents are lame - honestly I'm surprised by how many people have stopped in to see a 'lame' thread (with no other hints in the title) :eyebrow:

Soulful - I had no idea that the Chinese had that name thing specific for each relative, seems like it would be hard to learn...

Most of these are really cute/fun! :)

Grandma Millie & Grandpa Sid, replaced by Grandpa Ken

Grandma Mickie & Grandma Don

The only great-relative alive when I was little was my great-grandma Renette, but we called her Grandma-great since she was the only one.

Last edited:
My grandparents are:

Nana (last name) and Pop (last name).

My daughter calls her two grandmothers - Big Nana and Little Nana cause one has a 4WD and the other has a Ford :huh:

(It took us AGES to work out why she was calling them that as both Nanas are physically both about the same size )

I mostly only see my paternal ones, but I call both gramma and grampa and add on the last name when necessary for clarification.

Last edited:
theSoulfulMofo said:
The Chinese have specific names for each specific relative....

We call our Paternal granfather: "ye ye"
We call our Maternal grandfather: "gonggong"
We call our Paternal grandmother: "nai nai"
We call our Maternal grandmother: "po po"

There are also a whole bunch of other specific names, each for your father's sibilings and mother's sibilings, and second cousin relatives, etc. etc. In other words, there's no one generic word for uncles, aunts, and cousins.

Anh... why am I saying this?... It probably doesn't interest most people.

I think it's interesting! :) I just read The Joy Luck Club and it makes such sense now that one of the girls called her grandma Popo... I thought it was just an affectionate term. Thanks for the info! :up:

My mom's mom I call Mooma (a name my older brother came up with when he was little and it stuck)

My mom's dad was Papa, who passed away 10 years ago. Her new husband we just call by his first name.

My dad's dad I call Bop (again, thanks to my bro)

My dad's mom was Nana, who passed away just before Papa. :(

my mouse clicks on things itself...so it decided to post this before i was done :mad:

grammy [first name] (mom's mom)
pop-pop [first name] (both grandpas)
grandma [first name] (dad's mom)

although i haven't heard from my paternal grandmother in years, and my maternal grandfather died when i was 7. my paternal grandfather died a 2 or 3 years ago, but like my my dad's other parent, he wasn't too fond of grandkids either, and i was a lot sadder when my cat died.

Last edited:
My brother is the oldest of all of the grandchildren. He couldn't say grandma or grandpa. It came out sounding like he was saying Mana and Papa. So that's what my grandparents are called. I never knew one of my grandpa's so there was never a confusion for that but for my grandma's it was always either just Mana for my mom's mom and for my dad's mom we always attached her name. I don't know why it was like that. But if I were to say I talked to Mana today everyone knew it was my mom's mom because I didn't include her name. My dad's mom always said she'd rather be called grandma instead of Mana. She always felt it was my other grandma's name. When we got older we just called her Flo. She kind of got a kick out of us calling her by her name :shrug:

On my mom's side: Nonna (which sounded more like "Nah-nah") and Nonno (the Italian words for grandmother and grandfather).

Dad's side: Grandma and Nonno (why we didn't call them the Slovenian words, :shrug: ) Which got confusing as we had two Nonnos. So we had "Nonna's Nonno" and "Grandma's Nonno."

Hey bonosloveslave, I always wanted to know something: Who is that on that picture kissing Bono you got on your avatar? Is that really Bono? What can you tell me about it? I have never seen that one anywhere.

Maternal grandfather: Papa or Pa, Grandpa Ed
Maternal grandmother: Gram, Grammy, Grams, Grandma Pat

Paternal grandmother: Nana or Grandma Carlson

I never knew my paternal grandfather.

My kids call my mom and stepfather Grandma Sandy and Grandpa Vince and my father was Grandpa Charlie.

I like this thread :)

This is a sweet thread!

My father's mother we called Grandma Helen. His dad died when he was 11.

My mother's mother we called Grandma Vita, and we called her dad Grandpa.

None of them are alive anymore. My Grandma Vita was just about my favorite person ever and I miss her so much. I also am very much like her.

My mom & dad aren't grandparents yet. But my mom wants to be called Nana.

Back
Top Bottom