Possibly my lamest thread ever...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i never knew my dad's mother since she died when he was a teenager.

I have always called my grandparents: Grandma and Grandpa.

My Dad's parents- Grandma and Grandad, quite sad as my Grandma died last year, she was only quite young (70) and I was very, very close to her...

and my Mum's dad died before I was born and we used to call her Mum 'Nonnie'. I dont know why, one of my older cousins started this, but I thought that it was unique to us, but then I guess not, as I saw the starter of this thread used the same name:huh:

My grandparents weren't really part of my life. They died when I was only a little girl. I have vague memories of them. The women were both called Nanna followed by their surname. I did meet my mother's father a couple of times and he scared me. His initials were JAB and I'm just now noticing how much that suited him. He did help me overcome my fear of the dark though. I do still have the book I bought when he gave me some money, May Gibbs "Snugglepot and Cuddlepie". I hope they are all resting in peace.

TheBrazilianFly said:
Hey bonosloveslave, I always wanted to know something: Who is that on that picture kissing Bono you got on your avatar? Is that really Bono? What can you tell me about it? I have never seen that one anywhere.

Someone had posted the pic in PLEBA, it's from the Elevation tour, I believe a California show? Not me, I just pretend it's me ;)

theSoulfulMofo said:
The Chinese have specific names for each specific relative....

We call our Paternal granfather: "ye ye"
We call our Maternal grandfather: "gonggong"
We call our Paternal grandmother: "nai nai"
We call our Maternal grandmother: "po po"

There are also a whole bunch of other specific names, each for your father's sibilings and mother's sibilings, and second cousin relatives, etc. etc. In other words, there's no one generic word for uncles, aunts, and cousins.

There are also specific names for your brothers and sisters as well.

I had to come back...I felt bad for having such a shonky memory and getting my family history wrong. My mother's mother died when mum was 2 years old. The woman she called "mum" was her grandmother. So the woman I knew as Grandma Byrne( not Nanna) was my great -grandmother.
one of these days I'll write that book :sad:

Back
Top Bottom