Possible Writers Strike - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #46
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:49 AM
Good news?

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...s-been-struck/

If this is true, it could be in time to save the seasons of many shows.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:18 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

I hope that's true, and that the writers get everything they deserve

Old 11-26-2007, 05:21 PM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I hope that's true, and that the writers get everything they deserve
Definitely.

In one of the comments below that article, someone states that a survey taken shows that only 4% of people are on the side of the networks.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #49
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:49 AM
We can only hope.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:58 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
In one of the comments below that article, someone states that a survey taken shows that only 4% of people are on the side of the networks.
Wow. Ouch. But hey, maybe this will be a wake-up call to the networks. Thanks for that link, that does sound promising-here's hoping it's true and everyone comes out happy in the end .

Angela
Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 AM   #51
Refugee

Not amazing, but some of the stuff had me laughing really hard, especially by the head-writer Eric Stangel and the stuff by Justin Stangel, especially his cartoons and the written piece "Picketing Ergonomics." by Bill Sheft.

http://www.lateshowwritersonstrike.com/

There's also the stuff from November:
http://www.lateshowwritersonstrike.c...1.01_arch.html
Old 12-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Doesn't look too promising

ew.com

Talks between the striking Writers Guild of America and the Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers resume today (Dec. 4) after breaking last Thursday. Since then, each side has circulated statements indicating that there remain considerable differences between them. After talks broke off Thursday, the WGA distributed a memo to its members that argued that a new AMPTP proposal amounted to a ''massive rollback.'' ''Among the rumors [circulating about the talks] was the assertion that the AMPTP had a groundbreaking proposal that would make this negotiation a 'done deal,''' the statement read. ''In fact, for the first three days of this week, the companies presented in essence their November 4 package with not an iota of movement on any of the issues that matter to writers.''

The AMPTP responded in a letter on Friday that stated that an offer to increase writers compensation was ''in fact a very big 'roll' forward.'' ''With these improvements, writers remain among the highest paid employees in America,'' the letter said. However, the Alliance softened its stance in an ''Open Letter to the Entertainment Industry'' released today, which stated that the producers' proposal last week was ''not a 'take it or leave it' offer. It is designed to allow both sides to engage in the kind of substantive, give-and-take negotiation that can lead to common ground.''

Meanwhile, the networks are preparing for the strike to continue on into next year. Yesterday, CBS announced a new lineup for January and February, which includes the return of The New Adventures of Old Christine on Jan. 28 and a first-ever winter edition of Big Brother on Feb. 12.

The AP reports that the strike could cost CBS, ABC, and Fox a combined $300 million, according to a report from Alan Gould, senior analyst with New York-based Natixis Bleichroeder. The report did not include General Electric Co.-owned NBC.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:49 AM

I want new late night comedy!!!!!!! I miss Jon...Stephen...Conan...
Old 12-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #54
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

I want new late night comedy!!!!!!! I miss Jon...Stephen...Conan...
How about these from the above links?

I keep finding little gems. I had no idea how funny these guys were. Must be David Letterman's lousy delivery.

Why Writers Matter:
Old 12-06-2007, 05:46 AM   #55
Refugee

I love this cartoon strip they wrote:
http://www.lateshowwritersonstrike.com/sit...rikeyissue1.jpg
Old 12-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #56
Refugee

Local Time: 07:49 AM
I wrote an essay about the writers' strike at my blog.

http://popcorninmybra.blogspot.com/2...rs-strike.html
Old 12-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Golightly Grrl
I wrote an essay about the writers' strike at my blog.

http://popcorninmybra.blogspot.com/2...rs-strike.html
I read it, well done. I like the name of your blog, very clever
Old 12-18-2007, 09:28 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Two of Hollywood's most glamorous events are now caught up in the entertainment industry's ugliest labor dispute in two decades.

The Writers Guild of America, West, will not allow its members to write for the Golden Globes on January 13 nor the Academy Awards on February 24.

The group's board of directors decided not to give the academy an interim agreement for writing services, a person close to the guild said Monday, speaking on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to comment. The person declined to say when the decision had been made.

The guild's decision raised the temperature in the already heated contract dispute between writers and studios. Talks aimed at ending the costly strike, now in its seventh week, broke down December 7 in a flurry of insults that has yet to cease.

After talks ended, the alliance claimed guild leaders were trying to increase their power at the expense of members. Union leaders accused the alliance of "lies" aimed at sowing doubt and dissension in union ranks.

Now the guild is casting the strike shadow over the Oscars, the industry's key showcase for its finest films and hottest actors. The Golden Globes represent another important promotional vehicle.

The guild made a similar move before the 1988 Oscars when writers last walked out on studios. That strike lasted five months.

With the strike drawing support from the Screen Actors Guild, which faces its own contract negotiations next year, actors' participation as Oscar guests and presenters might be affected -- diminishing the star power that drives TV viewership.

Jon Stewart, a writers guild member, was announced as host of this year's Academy Awards, but he has honored the strike: His "The Daily Show" on Comedy Central has been in reruns since the walkout began.

An e-mail sent to Stewart's publicist seeking comment was not immediately returned Monday night.

Several Golden Globe nominees said last week that they hoped to attend the ceremony but might not if the strike remains unresolved.

The guild released a letter on Monday rejecting the request from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which awards the Golden Globes. The letter said that granting a waiver "would not advance" the guild's ongoing battle with studios to negotiate a new contract.

In a separate letter to Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences also released Monday, the guild denied the use of clips from movies and past awards programs that could be shown during the award show in February.

The academy had made its standard, annual request for clip use to the writers guild and other relevant industry guilds that must grant approval, spokeswoman Leslie Unger said.

"The academy has not requested any strike-related waiver from the writers guild related to the awards show," she said.

In a statement, the Globe organization expressed measured unhappiness.

"The Golden Globe Awards, which has a long and friendly relationship with the Writers Guild of America, is obviously disappointed that the WGA denied its request for a waiver," the statement.

The strike has shut down production on many TV series, had a growing effect on movie production and idled many industry workers. Networks have seen ratings slip as shows fall into reruns, jeopardizing advertising revenues.

The guild and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers are wrangling over compensation for burgeoning digital media.

NBC was able to crow about the end of late-night reruns Monday, announcing that "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" and "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" would return in January with new shows, although without writers.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Letterman Reaches Deal With WGA
'Late Show' to Return With Writers

Reuters/AOL
Posted: 2007-12-28 18:55:22
Filed Under: TV News
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 28) - Late-night TV comedian David Letterman has reached a deal with the Writers Guild of America, the union representing striking screenwriters, that will let his show return to the air next week with his writing staff, the union said Friday.

Under the pact reached by Letterman's WorldWide Pants production company and the WGA, the "Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson" will also begin air fresh episodes next week, with full support of its writers.

full story: http://news.aol.com/entertainment/te...28173509990001
Old 12-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
Letterman Reaches Deal With WGA
'Late Show' to Return With Writers

Reuters/AOL
Posted: 2007-12-28 18:55:22
Filed Under: TV News
LOS ANGELES (Dec. 28) - Late-night TV comedian David Letterman has reached a deal with the Writers Guild of America, the union representing striking screenwriters, that will let his show return to the air next week with his writing staff, the union said Friday.

Under the pact reached by Letterman's WorldWide Pants production company and the WGA, the "Late, Late Show With Craig Ferguson" will also begin air fresh episodes next week, with full support of its writers.

full story: http://news.aol.com/entertainment/te...28173509990001
Well, that's something. I was on the verge of downgrading my cable until the strike was over. TV has been dreadful these past weeks. You'd think HBO would at least be running good movies (and I guess some of them are good, I've just seen everything already, it seems).