Portland or LA? Help me decide.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2002, 09:16 AM   #1
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 03:18 PM
Portland or LA? Help me decide....

I want to move to my 4th and final state in 3 years. I've got it down to Portland, OR or LA, CA. I'm hoping everyone out there will be willing to help me out and give the the pros and cons of the city that they are familiar with. I'm looking for suggestions about nice parts of town/suburbs to live, cost of living etc (all that important stuff ) as well as suggestions for good local uni's so I can continue my degree there. Give me all the details you can (or point me to some informative sites) and your opinion is most definitely wanted too! Thanks!

Old 08-04-2002, 12:51 PM   #2
She's the One

Local Time: 12:18 PM
I've lived in Orange County, CA for 31 years. I love it here. It's crowded, noisy, overdeveloped, and home prices are out of control.

It's also full of interesting, diverse people who really care about each other. The Southern California area is the location of dozens of world-class colleges and universities. (I'm partial to Long beach State Univ.) Coastal OC has a beautiful climate. I live 5 miles from the beach, two hours from the mountains, and 1/2 a day's drive from the Mojave Desert. In SoCal, you can hear any language spoken from anywhere in the world, and you can have food from anywhere in the world, cooked by people from that particular place.

We don't have tornadoes, unless you live near the Peninsula in Long Beach, and we never have snowstorms. We do have the occasional catastrophic earthquake, and we burn up periodcally, but if you live on cement, like I do, that's not a problem except when you breathe.

There you go.

Old 08-04-2002, 05:06 PM   #3
Banned

Normal

Eek.
When you said LA, I almost wanted to blurt out "Cool! Move here!!" cuz itd be fun to have yet another U2 fan here.
But then i got to thinking what sheer utter total hell it is here,lol, and for your sake,uh, maybe Portland would be better.
I dunno though, i dont know anything about Portland, but if you do choose LA, avoid the san fernando valley like the plague. Although if you live near Ventura blvd it might not be so bad. My rels live in Studio city( which is in the valley) and its nice there.
Beware though: Many LA suburbs have beautiful sounding names but are really total s*itholes, basically just chop shops with a palmtree here and there. I'm not kidding!
Hawaiian gardens is NOT what it sounds like. Neither is Sun Valley or Sunland!!! Avoid them!!!
It is, as you know, incredibly expensive here. But the cities I'd like to recommend to you are all up there in price. Westwood, West Hollywood, Burbank, etc.
Well, if you need any other info about So Cal, feel free to ask. I'll try to give you an unbiased view,lol.
If possible, do try to visit before you move. I hate it here, but maybe thats mostly just cuz i live in the valley. I'm not sure...*sigh*

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

^^ Life's a bitch, so i became one ^^
Old 08-04-2002, 05:20 PM   #4
I Serve Larry's Stick

Yeah I'll definitely visit both places before I decide one way or another. I'm just looking for opinions from the people who live there already, so I can research the areas before I get there.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:35 PM   #5
Banned

no bad things about portland , but L.A . is much more interesting , exciting , sexy to me
Old 08-04-2002, 05:40 PM   #6
Banned

Yeah, parts of Long Beach and the area that Martha mentioned, can be very nice.
Um, do not EVER under ANY circumstances, go into the area known as the "east valley". The east valley encompases cities like north hollywood(it is NOT Hollywood!), van nuys, north hills, panorama city, pacoima, arleta, etc.
AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!
Most of the rest of the valley sucks, too, as i said. However, some valley cities that might be ok are: Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Tarzana, Encino, Woodland Hills(ehh).

Are you looking for your own apt., or would you be renting a room?
I can give you some prices, name some colleges,etc. Also dont forget to check out online local newspapers. I think you could find the links easier than I could,lol, but one is http://www.latimes.com/classified/rentals/
Theres also the LA Daily news, which serves the valley. And the Orange County register, i think?

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Old 08-04-2002, 07:34 PM   #7
I Serve Larry's Stick

There's so many farkin' suburbs! LA is the size of a small country...eesh.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:37 PM   #8
Banned

LMAO
Yeah. Thats one of its downsides. Makes things difficult. Plus the government totally sucks.
If you want though, i could just give you a "yes" "no" or "unsure" answer to all of them!

Old 08-04-2002, 07:52 PM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I've lived in Orange County, CA for 31 years. I love it here.
Cool ! I went to California 6 years ago and I stayed at my mom's friend's place in Orange County. Lovely place. I also went to Big Sur, Yosemite Park, Carmel and Death Valley. I wish I could go back, it was one of the best travel experiences of my life !
Old 08-04-2002, 07:56 PM   #10
Banned

Naya - did you visit Joshua Tree?!

Hey, thats an idea Clarity - move to Joshua Tree!

Old 08-04-2002, 08:04 PM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss MacPhisto

I didn't Miss Mac...That was a couple of months before I became a U2 fan.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:13 PM   #12
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss MacPhisto

Jezebel lives there, but she hasn't posted since the change-over. Joshua Tree is lovely and hot.

Naya, you did hit the highlights of our lovely state. Death Valley is closer to the "real" Joshua Tree.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:51 PM   #13
Refugee

The South Bay in LA county is really nice. It goes from Manhattan Beach to Palos Verdes.

It is expensive to buy, and about 45 minutes from LA ( the city) in traffic, but rents are about the same as in the city.

you're free from the smog and a lot of the "LA types", unless you're into that sort of thing , of course!!

I've lived here for 4 years, and I'm from the midwest- I can't afford a house here, but I would never move back.

The people I've met are great, and the weather is the best anywhere in the country- unless you like 100% humidity in the summer and tornodoes in the summer, and snowstorms in the winter of course!!

good luck!
Old 08-05-2002, 12:09 AM   #14
I Serve Larry's Stick

This is pretty helpful! Thanks everyone. Probably my big thing right now is finding a nice bunch of suburbs or parts of LA itself (is that possible? lol) to look into as far as jobs and housing. I doubt I'd ever buy so I'd be looking at renting by myself or getting a roommate(s). Like I said, I'm not planning on moving for 3 more years. So I'll be researching LA and Portland off and on til I get myself ready to go.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:24 AM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 05:18 AM
I am pro Portland. Granted, I am a North West girl, so my view is stilted, but still. It is a very different vibe from LA, basically it's like a big little town. There are some cute little resturants, it is very relaxed, you can go snowboarding thirty minutes away, the woods are right there, the people are friendly, the weather is that perfect inbetween all the time. And well, it just rocks. I like P town alot, and I would encourage you to move where the real world lives. Or you can always get a tan and move to LA LA land, but the North West be chillin the most. Just so you know...