Porcupine Tree - Nil Recurring EP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
I know there's a few Porcupine Tree fans around these parts, so let's discuss the upcoming EP, Nil Recurring. It's due for release in about a week and contains four tracks that weren't included on Fear Of A Blank Planet. They weren't included due to not fitting with FOABP's theme and sound, not due to any lack of quality.

Tracklist:
1. Nil Recurring
2. Normal
3. Cheating The Polygraph
4. What Happens Now?

The title track features Robert Fripp. What Happens Now? features electric violin by Ben Coleman, who has worked with Steven Wilson in No-Man. Cheating The Polygraph was meant to be on Fear Of A Blank Planet between My Ashes and Anesthetize and does in fact appear there on the vinyl LP edition that's also coming out. On the pre-album tour in 2006, Cheating The Polygraph was played in the spot occupied by Way Out Of Here on the album.

Now, the EP has leaked, so prepare for SPOILERS BELOW.

Fuck, this EP is sweet. It's hit me faster than FOABP, though that may be because it's from the same sessions and I'm already engrossed in FOABP's goodness. This EP feels like a continuation of various strands of FOABP, heading in potential different directions or more fully exploring some facets of the album. If you felt FOABP was incomplete, this EP should solve the problem.

Until today, Orchidia from the Futile EP was my favourite heavy instrumental by PT, but now I think Nil Recurring is. It's bloody insane; Fripp and PT combine perfectly.

Normal is something of an alternate version of Sentimental, in that it shares the chorus but the two songs otherwise go in wildly different directions. There's a great but brief monster riff around 4:40, followed by some nice vocals.

What Happens Now? is one of the most musically interesting songs PT has done and, to me at least, takes the FOABP sound into space. It wouldn't have fit on the album but it sounds so good. Gavin Harrison shows his immense talent and does a lot to create an exciting foundation.

The production is absolutely fantastic, as you would expect from Steven Wilson, and the metal qualities are certainly still present in abundance. If I were to compare it to the Futile EP, Futile is heavier in general (come on, Strip The Soul, Orchidia, the title track?) but everything here is heavier than Drown With Me. Fuck this is good. Yet again, Steven Wilson can do no wrong.

I've heard alot of good things about this EP. I guess if you listen to it with FoaBP it really makes FoaBP make more sense. My only question is - where do you get this EP? Do you have to order it from the PT store? Because I read they only made 2000 copies of it and that a general release would be later in the year or is the 2000 copies a special limited edition? That is my only complaint with them, I can't keep up with the limited editions etc. :crack:

The EP leaked online. I haven't downloaded it myself - I will later tonight when I'm home.

If you want to buy the CD, you can pre-order it from the PT store, as it won't be available anywhere else until 2008, and the first version will be a limited digipak edition, instead of the standard jewel case. I ordered it myself - $11.99 plus shipping.

The first edition is a limited release, 5,000 copies: originally 3,000 available from the online store and 2,000 from gigs, but due to demand, more are now available online. But SW wants as many people as possible to hear this, so as phanan said, there will be a general release early next year.

But I got the bit torrent edition if you know what I mean. :wink:

I downloaded last night and listened today. It is very good, but I'm a bit disappointed that the songs consist of themes and passages already on FOABP. I guess I was hoping for completely different songs like the Futile EP. Perhaps I was spoiled when I heard Drown With Me for the first time and thinking it ranked as high as the best songs on In Absentia.

That's not to say these songs suck - they are very cool to listen to. But you kind of get the feeling that these were earlier songs that evolved into what we got on FOABP. I guess they can be looked at as an alternate FOABP.

That aside, the music is still fantastic, and the production is top notch, as always. I'll never complain that much when new PT product is offered.

You know, the connections to FOABP are part of what I really like about it, especially Normal. It's interesting to hear completely different directions pursued from a familiar base. I like knowing where else the music could have gone.

They said that they want their fans to view Nil Recurring as the second album from PT this year and not as leftovers from FoaBP. I can't remember where I read this though. It may have been their site, the rush forums or progarchives:huh:

Speaking of EP's does anyone remember "wide awake in America"? That rarely gets mentioned around here. I really like the songs on that U2 EP/album.

My copy of Nil Recurring came in the mail on Saturday. Nice digipak. They use the same photographer for most of their albums, and I think it goes great with the music.

Interestingly, while Nil Recurring and Cheating The Polygraph were recorded at the end of 2006 (at the same time as FOABP), the other two songs (Normal and What Happens Now?) were just done this past July. I didn't realize that until now.

I haven't picked up NR yet, but I'm seeing PT this Friday! :hyper: Should be a treat, as my brother-in-law is coming and he rivals Axver in PT fandom...:wink:

The show was pretty good. I'm still a fan of the older stuff a little more so than some of the newer songs.......the metal bit just doesn't jive with PT to me for some reason. But some great performances to a sold-out crowd of easily 600 or so.

I haven't picked it up yet, but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Any new PT has to be good. :)

Utoo said:
The show was pretty good. I'm still a fan of the older stuff a little more so than some of the newer songs.......the metal bit just doesn't jive with PT to me for some reason. But some great performances to a sold-out crowd of easily 600 or so.

I've been listening to their older stuff more frequently myself. I think he's just kind of on a metal kick for some reason right now. I like the metal type stuff as long as they don't overdue it. I just hope and pray that they don't start going "industrial" on the next album.

Back
Top Bottom