Porcupine Tree (Australian Tour Edition!!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You already know I'm going to all three gigs.

I thought about making a thread about this but I figured only you would reply. :wink:

But if anybody cares, tickets are $70.70 and the dates are:

25/04, The Metro, Melbourne (trading as The Palace, but it's not the one that got burnt down in St Kilda; it's on Bourke Street)
26/04, The Enmore, Sydney
27/04, The Tivoli, Brisbane

:combust:

I really know I'm starting to fall for PT, since I just wrote a song that sounds awfully similar to Prodigal at times. :ohmy:

Great band. I hope those who get tickets have an awesome time. :rockon:

Rain keeps crawling down the glass
The good times never seem to last
Close your eyes and let the dawn pass

:drool:

liamcool said:
Haha. Are there even any other Aussie PT fans?

No. SW's only coming down here because I used 300 alters to sign a petition.

I better get eating so that I look like 300 people in April.

I like the two of their albums I have a whole lot. I don't listen to them too often, but I really like them.

liamcool said:
Haha. Are there even any other Aussie PT fans?

I know of a British guy who's a huge PT fan who will be in Australia (most likely Sydney) at the time. So there should be at least two other people there. :wink:

Oh, good, so I only have to eat for 298 people then.

^^:wink:

oh, I just found out they're selling through Ticketek... I was all hyped up to buy a ticket and then find out they don't actually go on sale 'til February 15 :mad:

That would be awesome if you do go, since I don't know anybody attending the Melbourne gig! Liam's going to Sydney, and my mother of all people wants to go to the Brisbane show with me. Well, if she wants to, rock on.

I should also get back to the Melbourne Meet-up thread. I'll explain my absence in a post there.

I've just been reading up about PT on the net .. sounds very interesting :D I hope I can manage to get a ticket now .. I'll be at work when they go on sale :(

This is an exciting time for me with this band. I'm just getting into them and bought the first cd, Deadwing yesterday. Such a tight band, musically and Wilson has got a nice hypnotic voice too! Was looking thru their official site the other day and realized I missed them live by only a few months! Oh well, next time.

TranceEnding said:
I've just been reading up about PT on the net .. sounds very interesting :D I hope I can manage to get a ticket now .. I'll be at work when they go on sale :(

I don't expect the show to sell out in any tremendous hurry. I just hope it sells out by the time PT take the stage, for the sake of future tour prospects! At least you don't have to worry about getting a good seat - Melbourne is standing only. (Anybody going elsewhere: Sydney is a mix of both seating and standing, and I don't know about Brisbane but I think it'll be standing.)

Let me know if I can help out somehow - no way will I not be at my computer come 9am 15/02.

Zootlesque said:
This is an exciting time for me with this band. I'm just getting into them and bought the first cd, Deadwing yesterday. Such a tight band, musically and Wilson has got a nice hypnotic voice too! Was looking thru their official site the other day and realized I missed them live by only a few months! Oh well, next time.

SW has one of the most addictive voices I've ever heard. And Gavin Harrison is the absolute man when it comes to drums - he not only has technique, but taste and restraint as well. I keep trying not to sound like a fanlad but I don't think I'm really succeeding.

On their major tours, PT tend to do two legs of both North America and Europe, so you should have a good chance to see them on the next album cycle. There's also some hints they might do a brief tour of the US and Europe later this year to promote the live album they recorded last year - but that's grain of salt material at this stage.

I just posted this in a thread bono_man2002 and I somewhat derailed over on EYKIW, and, well, it's much more on topic here. So here's what PT have played on the four legs of the FOABP tour thus far. I've expanded my EYKIW post to include details on frequency - some of which is rough. I've followed the sets, but there's no PT equivalent of U2VT.

SETLIST SPOILERS BELOW.

The Sky Moves Sideways: The Sky Moves Sideways (Phase One)
Appeared late in the 3rd leg. Has been done at about every 3rd-4th show.

Signify: Waiting (Phase One), Sever, Dark Matter
Waiting appeared near the end of the 3rd leg and has become a bit more regular but hardly guaranteed every show. Sever and Dark Matter have been a bit more frequent, having also turned up on the third leg.

Stupid Dream: Even Less, A Smart Kid
Even Less is done at a good majority of gigs. A Smart Kid crops up at about half.

Lightbulb Sun: Lightbulb Sun, Shesmovedon, Hatesong
Lightbulb Sun was at pretty much every show early in the tour but has become much more infrequent. Shesmovedon's last strong showing was early in the third leg. Hatesong's been a bit rare.

In Absentia: Blackest Eyes, Trains, The Sound Of Muzak, .3
Blackest Eyes and Trains are done at essentially every gig. The Sound Of Muzak is done at about a third to a half of shows. .3 (that's "DOT three") is a rarity.

Futile EP: Drown With Me
Was done at the majority of shows earlier in the tour but is now something of a rarity.

Deadwing: Lazarus, Halo, Mellotron Scratch, Open Car
Barring unforeseen circumstances, Halo closes every gig. Open Car is done at pretty much every show too. Lazarus and Mellotron Scratch are less common.

Deadwing DVD-A: Mother And Child Divided
Strong showing early on tour, but I don't think it's made an appearance since the end of the second leg.

Lazarus single: Half Light
About half of the shows. Has rotated with A Smart Kid.

Fear Of A Blank Planet: Fear Of A Blank Planet, My Ashes, Anesthetize, Sentimental, Way Out Of Here, Sleep Together
Until Nil Recurring's release, all six were done every gig, sometimes in order. FOABP opens gigs and Sleep Together closes the main set (or first half of the main set when the album is done in order). After Nil Recurring was released, My Ashes has largely disappeared and I think Sentimental has missed some gigs too.

Nil Recurring: Nil Recurring, Cheating The Polygraph, What Happens Now?
Since its release, Cheating The Polygraph and What Happens Now? have been done at essentially every gig. WHN has even opened some shows rather than FOABP. Nil Recurring is done at most shows; I guess it's taken Mother And Child Divided's place as the instrumental of the set. Normal has only been done once, at an acoustic in-store appearance.

This has probably been PT's best tour for setlist variation. I'm really hoping for some Aussie surprises - looking at you, Fadeaway and Piano Lessons.

SETLIST SPOILERS OVER.

Last edited:
TranceEnding said:
:hmm:

I'm thinkin' about it .. so maybe make that 3 :wink:

Your best chance of seeing a certain currently bearded guitarist PT fan will be in Sydney.... :wink:

Nobody has mentioned the new CD called We Lost The Skyline, which was an in-store performance of just Steve Wilson and John Wesley. I mean, look at this thing:

1. the sky moves sideways (4.02)
2. even less (3.27)
3. stars die (4.33)
4. waiting (3.52)
5. normal (4.52)
6. drown with me (4.09)
7. lazarus (4.29)
8. trains (4.04)

phanan said:
Nobody has mentioned the new CD called We Lost The Skyline, which was an in-store performance of just Steve Wilson and John Wesley. I mean, look at this thing:

1. the sky moves sideways (4.02)
2. even less (3.27)
3. stars die (4.33)
4. waiting (3.52)
5. normal (4.52)
6. drown with me (4.09)
7. lazarus (4.29)
8. trains (4.04)

Oh, this sounds so good. Have you heard Lazarus on their MySpace? Absolutely gorgeous. :drool:

I just ordered "We Lost the Skyline" from Burning Shed on Monday. I am really looking forward to it!

:drool: :drool:

Deadwing is excellent! There is so much I want to get from this band now...

In Absentia
Fear Of A Blank Planet
Stupid Dream

Checked out samples for The Sky Moves Sideways thanks to Axver's recommendation and it sounds beautiful! :love: So adding that one to the list as well...

Don't have enough money to get all this right now... :scream:

:lol: I don't know what the hell to get next! I wanna get another one today! :tempted: :scream: But the thing is probably the only album which will be available in stores would be Blank Planet. Not that I don't wanna get it, I absolutely adore the title track and Anesthetize. But... online there is their whole discography to choose from! :drool: I have no patience for waiting for the CD to arrive though. lol

Just keep in mind when searching for your next CD that there are three distinct phases in PT's career so far:

1. The early stuff that is more mellow and sometimes sounds like Floyd (like The Sky Moves Sideways).

2. The brief middle period between 1999-2001 when their songs became shorter, more concise, and more of a general rock feel to them. This would be Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun (Stupid Dream is probably my favorite overall).

3. From 2002 on, starting with In Absentia, they developed a harder sound. That's what you've got with Deadwing.

All three phases are excellent, though. Such great stuff...

So I wonder if I should get a sampler album from each of those 3 categories first before delving even deeper. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom