Popped Collars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
randhail said:
Why do people pop them?

...and why do people not just dress in the dark or bother looking in the mirror before they go out?

what a silly question.

maybe they raise the collar on a particular shirt because that particular shirt probably looks better with the collar up!

duh.

why are so many people around here preoccupied by how other people dress or look? what is it? i don't get it.

ewen said:

maybe they raise the collar on a particular shirt because that particular shirt probably looks better with the collar up!

duh.

Show me a shirt that looks better with a collar up, I will give you $100. I don't think it is scientifically, metaphysically, or humanly possible for this to be the case.

randhail said:

There are simple rules in life:

Don't put ice in beer
Makes sense.

randhail said:

Don't piss in the wind
Makes even more sense.

randhail said:

Don't pop your collar
What?! Do you tuck your shirt in your underwear too? Who made up this rule? You...

There are no rules when it comes to clothes, wear them when and where you have to...that's it.

randhail said:

Show me a shirt that looks better with a collar up, I will give you $100. I don't think it is scientifically, metaphysically, or humanly possible for this to be the case.

fucking%20gay.jpg

not%20so%20fucking%20gay.jpg

Ok, maybe the whole popped collar thing is an example of a bigger problem I have with the Bobby Trendy type people. The people who seek to be doing something simply for the sake of being cool. Examples - popped collars, lance armstrong bracelets (i know many people wear them for the cause, but many do not), trucker hats.

It's the people that have no real identity about themselves other than seeking out what is "cool" at the given moment. The people that if you look below the surface, there is absolutely nothing there. I know this may come across as offensive or irratating to some people, but it is the way I feel.

randhail said:
Ok, maybe the whole popped collar thing is an example of a bigger problem I have with the Bobby Trendy type people. The people who seek to be doing something simply for the sake of being cool. Examples - popped collars, lance armstrong bracelets (i know many people wear them for the cause, but many do not), trucker hats.

It's the people that have no real identity about themselves other than seeking out what is "cool" at the given moment. The people that if you look below the surface, there is absolutely nothing there. I know this may come across as offensive or irratating to some people, but it is the way I feel.

why do you have a picture of Tom Cruise from Top Gun? [/petty]

I totaly agree with the wristband thing, especially when it's more than one. I only have one wristband, and that was given to me by an interferencer. People do wear those wristbands for a fashion statement rather than a political or awareness statement. But...there are of course people that were them for the precise reason that they were intended. I will pop my collar on my shirt if I feel more comfortable wearing it that way. If it makes you uncomfortable or you wish to judge me for that then it's your problem and not mine.

I can live with the collar up, but I hate the big saggy, gaping neck line it creates. Also, the collar is hardly "up", it curls over or looks stretched out. If you want it up nice, iron it or something, and button your shirts. Or better yet, just get a nice turtle-neck sweater or something that, like so:

ga303671-01p1.jpg

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I can live with the collar up, but I hate the big saggy, gaping neck line it creates. Also, the collar is hardly "up", it curls over or looks stretched out. If you want it up nice, iron it or something, and button your shirts. Or better yet, just get a nice turtle-neck sweater or something that, like so:

ga303671-01p1.jpg

?

if that's what you want to wear or how you want your b/f or husband to wear then fair enough but don't judge other people on how they dress. i'm not going to start critising your clothes and I'm sure there are items of clothing or ways you wear them that I would think look ridiculous.

that turtleneck looks quite nice actually.

ewen said:

?

if that's what you want to wear or how you want your b/f or husband to wear then fair enough but don't judge other people on how they dress. i'm not going to start critising your clothes and I'm sure there are items of clothing or ways you wear them that I would think look ridiculous.

that turtleneck looks quite nice actually.

Dude, did I judge anyone? The thread is about popped collars right? WTF

:eyebrow:

Palace_Hero said:
Honestly ewen I think collars up are more accepted on us Brits. In America I agree the stereotypical trendybopper is a bit sickly.

IMO brit men in general have much better taste and in clothes. Most of the guys I see w/ popped collars are just trying to be punk or grunge, like their mom bought them polos but they don't want to look preppy or whatever.

Jeez.. this thread is getting worse by the minute.

Every single person in the world has their own opinions about anything and everything. I dont understand why we cant just respect that and disagree about things in an adult manner. Just because you think something sucks, doesnt mean other people will and vice versa. And I'm speaking generally to this thread, not at anyone in particular.

This irritates me to no end. Its stupid. And its spreading like the fucking plague. It never looks good.
And pink. WTF??? Maybe a dress shirt or something, but a polo?

TheBrush said:
This irritates me to no end. Its stupid. And its spreading like the fucking plague. It never looks good.
And pink. WTF??? Maybe a dress shirt or something, but a polo?

What's worse is that stores are promoting it on their mannequins. I've seen someone, who obviously had a great distaste for this trend, go around a Gap Store and fold all the collars back down. Goodtimes. Goodtimes.

Sicy said:
Jeez.. this thread is getting worse by the minute.

Every single person in the world has their own opinions about anything and everything. I dont understand why we cant just respect that and disagree about things in an adult manner. Just because you think something sucks, doesnt mean other people will and vice versa. And I'm speaking generally to this thread, not at anyone in particular.

:up:

Seriously, we're talking about collars like we're debaing something serious like nuclear proliferation.

Palace_Hero said:
Honestly ewen I think collars up are more accepted on us Brits. In America I agree the stereotypical trendybopper is a bit sickly.

I think it must be just because of different associations. In the US, it seems to be more of a preppy, Abercrombie, 80s-revival thing, whereas here it's not as recent (I see a LOT of people do it with football shirts and with jackets). I don't even think about it or notice how people wear their colars...I guess because I left the US before this trend became widespread, so I don't really associate it with anything (unless it's a denim jacket and then I always think of 80s Michael J. Fox :drool: ). :shrug:

A guy wearing two layered polo shirts in contrasting pastel colours probably would stand out to me, though.

JessicaAnn said:

:up:

Seriously, we're talking about collars like we're debaing something serious like nuclear proliferation.
I think this is very serious. Popped collars can not come back. This is a very serious fashion mistake:eyebrow:

yeah, Im not getting the baby pink shirts for guys with the collars popped, why did this come back, they look like " terry" in that movie " just one of the guys".

Sorry if I offended you, Palace Hero. I don't know how it goes in Oz, but the kids in American high schools with their collars popped are the biggest douches around.

Back
Top Bottom