Poor Axl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GypsyHeartgirl

POP for GIRLS
I just saw his performance on the MTV Awards (the first night it was on I was in Philly in a Holiday Inn with no MTV, but they did have a radio station that played Electrical Storm) It was sad to see what Axl has come to. He has all but lost his voice. No more shrillness, snarl or scream. He can't even do 'm-my serpentine' right anymore. Forget 'you know where you are baby? you're in the jungle' he can't do it. His voice was low, growly and he had to struggle for almost every note, and even worse, each breath. He was so out of shape! I am older than he is (by 4 months) so no offense to old age, but he has really gone downhill. If anyone thought Bono had lost some of his voice, he really hasn't compared to this. I was at 7 Elevation shows, 5 up close, and I never noticed Bono out of breath. Poor Axl. I am a fan, and always have been, and it is sad to hear this. He doesn't look bad though. Maybe he can train or something and improve.

His makeshift band was a joke. Only one original member besides Axl, was it Dizzy or Izzy? That KFC dude was LAME and the alien looking dude scared me! Will he really take this show on the road? I don't think they should call it Guns N Roses, out of respect for the legend.

Axl's voice at the VMAs SUCKED THE BIG ONE, BUT... note, but, it's not indicative of his vocal prowess in general, even now. Listen to recent recordings from New Year's Eve, the shows in London and Hong Kong, and Rock in Rio last year... and you'll see he's still got it. And the mix was absolutely horrible, but the musicians are really really good.

The original members of GN'R, formed from LA Guns and Hollywood Rose, were Izzy Stradlin and Axl Rose. The only two members that have the right to use the name. Izzy's gone off with his solo career, and Axl's the only original member left, but was only one of two founding members when Appetite for Destruction came out.

Random fact: Moby was jamming with the band for a while, almost joined on as the producer. Axl and Moby are friends. I would have loved to see Axl kick Eminem's ass, as Axl is most definitely not a pacifist.

I actually didn't think Axl did too bad a job.

I mean....come on....Axl friggin Rose. A surprise performance. Singin Guns n Roses. SOUNDING all like GnR. I know it wasn't completely GnR, but I thought it was amazing.

Also if you'll remember (or watch the show again, as I'm sure it'll be replayed a countless number of times) MTV was having mic problems with a lot of the performers. I dunno if that caused any weakness in Axl's sound or not.

I was really excited..... it was like U2 with ATYCLB (just an example here.....) That hasn't proved to be my favorite U2 album, but it was a ginormous symbol of them comin' back into the public's consciousness.

This performance at the VMAs, well maybe it won't prove to be as big as that, but I think it's kinda similar.

I'm enough of a GnR fan to get by when my brothers talk about them, and I know that it probably took a lot just to get Axl out in public and perform like that without punchin someone out. He even did a little interview with Kurt Loder!! Such a surprise for him.

Anyway whether or not the performance sucked.....it was Axl Rose. That's all I needed outta them.

And maybe some biscuits and cole slaw...

I never cared much for Guns n Roses, but I wouldn't change the radio channel if their songs came on. There's worse stuff out there.

I thought the performance went pretty well. Axl is like 10 years older than the last time he appeared before a huge audience, so most of us probably ended up being disappointed at his performance. Cut him some slack.

I thought the band was a bit over the top. Did Marilyn Manson lend him a guitar and bass player? I normally don't critcize people's appearances, but they were in need of a major re-do in the image department

The reason the band looks so bizarre, is well... look where they come from

Buckethead, guitar- Avant garde solo guitarist who wears a kfc bucket on his head

Robin Finck- guitar- Nine Inch Nails. Need I say more?

Richard Fortus- guitar- Studio musician who's worked with various artists.

Tommy Stinson- bassist- From the Replacements, garage alternative band from the late 80s/early 90s.

Brian Mantia- drums- Formerly of Primus. Again, need I say more?

W. Axl Rose- We all know Axl. Now he's a few pounds heavier and has cornrows.

Dizzy Reed- The only other old school member, and the only one resembling GnR of glory days

That other keyboard player I don't remember, but this is a musical stew of a bizarre nature.

I didn't realize there were that many people on stage. 7 performers? I only saw Axl, the drummer, guitar and the bass player. Am I blind or were there only 4 upfront and center?

Yeah, I'm trying to find pictures but no luck yet. But yes, there are three guitarists, two keyboard players, one bassist, one drummer, and Axl Rose

Chicken, anyone?

pinkfloyd said:
without Slash , there will be no real Guns'n'roses , Axl missed his train , bye bye , Mr rose .

Agreed...however...

3353%3B6%3B523232%7Ffp66%3Dwp%3E2327%3D746%3D%3C7%3C%3Dxroqdf%3E2323334897892wp1lsi

A face only a mother could love.

pinkfloyd said:
without Slash , there will be no real Guns'n'roses ,

Wow. Stop the presses. We finally agree on something!

And yes, Buckethead and space guy are way over the top. Kinda reminds me of another band on a certain tour, no, I'm not gonna say it!;) :censored:

Unforgettable Lemon, thanks for all the history and info, I didn't know that!

Without Axl ?

i finally saw thier perfomance tonight on mtv music video awards , i can say that the new band looked great , cool , awesome , all musicians APART from Axl Rose , he looked just terrible , like a 45 year old fat ex-rocker fan who decided to put outfit , play cd and dance with it at his home , voice was as always aka normal , he will not last , axl should go for diet or something , but maybe new Guns'fuckinN"Roses should find a new lead vocalist ??????!!!

nannanna nanna nnanananan nnananan nanannaan
:dance: :dance: :banghead: :angel: :lol: :shrug:

I finally saw the performance on tape over the weekend, and it wasn't as bad as I expected based on all the reports about Axl's voice. He did get out of breath far too easily after his opening sprint, but Axl has never been the world's best live singer.
I saw Guns 4 times in the late 80's /early 90's, including the Appettite tour, before Dizzy Reed and backup vocalists were added, when they were a lean mean 5 piece, and this version should definitely use a different band name.
Maybe "Popcorn Chicken" or "Extra Crispy". :lmao:

Re: Without Axl ?

pinkfloyd said:
but maybe new Guns'fuckinN"Roses should find a new lead vocalist ??????!!!

There have been reports of Slash, Duff, Gilby and Matt jamming with the singer from Buck Cherry, and possibly going out under the name "Cherry Roses".

i think axl looked like he had some sort of face job. he looked really strange, although i enjoyed the performance.

how's this for "where are they now file"

I was listening to the radio this morning and the DJ kept calling him Bon Jovi. At first I thought he was kidding, but he recounted the whole VMA thing and Kurt Loder interview exactly, except instead of saying Axl and GnR, he said Jon Bon Jovi and Bon Jovi.

:lmao:

But yes, Flower I agree, he face did look funny, like he had a nose job or something.

_____
:silent:Maybe they had to fix the damage all that cocaine did

I actually dug them as some sort of freak show band. I just think they should not call themselves Guns and Roses. I think they would get more credibility if they called themselves something different all together...

Axl's voice sucked, but Buckethead rocked. What a freak.

Back
Top Bottom