Poll: What's your favorite type of music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What's your favorite musical genre?

• Top 40 Pop (Brittany Spears, Black Eyed Peas, Justin Timerberlake etc)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Top 40 Rock (Green Day, White Stripes, Nickleback etc)

• 90's Alternative (Smashing Pumpkins, Soul Asylum, Goo Goo Dolls etc)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Hair Metal (Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Poison etc)

• Adult Top 40 (John Mayer, Five For Fighting, Train etc)

• New Wave (The Cure, Flock Of Seagulls, Psychedelic Furs etc)

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 80's Rock (Bruce Springsteen, Prince, Peter Gabriel, John Mellencamp, Sting/The Police etc)

• Stoner music (Dave Matthews Band, Grateful Dead, Phish etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rap (Tupac, Eminem, Beastie Boys, Snoop etc)

• R&B (Usher, Mariah Carey, R. Kelly etc)

• Grunge (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden etc)

• Modern Alternative (Ryan Adams, Tommy Stinson, Wilco etc)

• 80's Alternative (The Replacements, The Pixies, The Violent Femmes etc)

• Nu Metal (Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park etc)

• Modern British Invasion (Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers etc)

• British Invasion (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones etc)

• 70's Pop (Billy Joel, Elton John, Neil Diamond etc)

• 50's Rock (Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Beach Boys etc)

• 70's Power Rock (Boston, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Queen etc)

• 80's Cheese (Tears For Fears, Huey Lewis, Culture Club, Wham etc)

• Old Country (Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson etc)

• New Country (Kenny Chesney, Leanne Rimes, Toby Keith etc)

• Industrial (Nine Inch Nails, Filter, Ministry etc)

• 90's Metal (Metallica, Rage Against The Machine etc)

• There is only U2. Everything else is just noise.

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Snowlock

Refugee
So, in getting to know my fellow interferences better, I was wondering what the predominant musical preference is on the board. Please pick the one that best suites your musical taste. I apologize in adance if you feel I've misplaced a particular band in a particular genere (I know calling Pink Floyd part of the British Invasion is a stretch but I wanted to get them in somewhere).

Last edited:
None of the above.

I really couldn't pick a favourite genre anyway. I couldn't bring myself to pick the Dunedin Sound (The Chills, Straitjacket Fits) over modern progressive/art rock (Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater) or the melodic rock of Crowded House or darkness of Joy Division.

Yeah, there should be a...... a "n/a" or "other" or something. Or "eclectic" or "world music", etc.

And what about jazz??

I would, off that list, pick the U2 one on the bottom I guess.... But that's not really a true answer.

Like everything else, my tastes go beyond "types" I believe any music can be good, or like. It's not types. It's substance.

Everyone know Gwen Steffani (sp) from No Doubt?
I disliked her music for the longest time. I thought she always had potential, and some talent. But now, her latest songs, especially the cover of "It's my life", I thnk that is smashingly good.

Sure, I admit type does have an influence, but also... I think there is a.. an... thing, and either you like it or you don't.

But I don't meant to ...... negate your poll. hahhaa.
:)

Just stating my long andwindedpeice, that's all.

Wow. You've obviously spent a lot of time creating this poll. But I have to say that my favorite genre is either not here or a mix of 2 or 3 that you mentioned!

My favorite bands are U2, The Beatles, Radiohead, REM, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd among others. So I guess you could say I like bands that constantly try to push their boundaries and make exciting music!

I wish I could pick the 1990s and the British Invasion... I dunno...if you look at my favorite albums they all tend to be pretty similar but I'm not sure what I'd call that kind of music specifically.

T

It was very hard, but I picked New Wave

I wish I could've picked bother British Invasions, 70s and 80s Rock too

:sad:

No offense but some of those groupings are horrible. I know you meant well, but you should have just come up with generic genres and let people post what they thought those genres meant.

Kenny Rodgers doesn't deserve a place with Willie Nelson. Just like Kiss with Zeppelin, or Flock of Seagulls with Psychedelic Furs...

That being said, I listen to so much of everything that I couldn't answer this poll.

Right now my top ten rotation are:

Johnny Cash
Ryan Adams
U2
Stereophonics
Grant Lee Buffalo
Arcade Fire
Sinead O'Connor
New Radicals
Bob Marley
Fiona Apple

BonoVoxSupastar said:
No offense but some of those groupings are horrible. I know you meant well, but you should have just come up with generic genres and let people post what they thought those genres meant.

I agree. For one thing, Bruce Springsteen is NOT just '80s rock. Some (although by no means all) of his best work was in the '70s. Also, there is a whole world of R&B beyond Usher, Mariah Carey and R. Kelly. What about Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin and Marvin Gaye? Then again, I don't like the thought of lumping them in with the likes of Usher, so maybe you should have just had separate categories, like classic R&B and current R&B.

But I guess it's all rather meaningless in my case because I could never pick a favorite category of music.

your categorization is suspicious.

stoner rock =/= dmb, phish, dead. that's hippie jam music. stoner rock is a label applied to bands like queens of the stoneage, monster magnet, tree, drunken horse (or whatever they're actually called), hell probably dinosaur jr. fits in there...

i like some things from almost every category, while i hate other things from the very same categories. so i can't vote.

I voted "good" music, which is, of course, defined as "stuff I like." :D

(wasn't in your poll, but that's what I voted anyway! :wink: )

It's not a scientific poll, people. It's not musical cannon, it's not being done by Rolling Stone or Spin or RIAA. It was just supposed to be a fun little thing because I was curious about people's musical preferences. See the little "etc's" after the bands I listed? It means you can put whoever you want in the genre. Don't go getting all Comic Book Guy on it. Just pick the one that *best* matches you. Or don't. :shrug:

Ax, Dream Theater and crowded house... You're in 80's cheese :D

Last edited:
Snowlock said:
It's not a scientific poll, people. It's not musical cannon, it's not being done by Rolling Stone or Spin or RIAA. It was just supposed to be a fun little thing because I was curious about people's musical preferences. See the little "etc's" after the bands I listed? It means you can put whoever you want in the genre. Don't go getting all Comic Book Guy on it. Just pick the one that *best* matches you. Or don't. :shrug:

Ax, Dream Theater and crowded house... You're in 80's cheese :D

then you might as well have just started a "OMG!!!! GUYS!!! WATS UR FAVRITE BAND!!????!!!LOL!!!" thread. :shrug: because it's not like that's been done to death on message boards or anything. and it's not like that could be discerned from the other threads in the forum, either...

IWasBored said:

then you might as well have just started a "OMG!!!! GUYS!!! WATS UR FAVRITE BAND!!????!!!LOL!!!" thread. :shrug: because it's not like that's been done to death on message boards or anything. and it's not like that could be discerned from the other threads in the forum, either...

Or you might as well have not even posted. Either way really. Maybe, just maybe you've been on a few too many message boards. It's generally nice outside. Go there.

Snowlock said:

Or you might as well have not even posted. Either way really. Maybe, just maybe you've been on a few too many message boards. It's generally nice outside. Go there.

Says the person who spent who knows how long making a ridiculously long poll that I can't be bothered to read.

Actually, it took me five minutes. If you think it's difficult putting the names of bands in a list; I'd hate to see you grasp more difficult concepts, like taking a piss. And I'm certianly not doing it in 10 to 20 posts per day. Talk about desperate.

Last edited:
Snowlock said:
And I'm certianly not doing it in 10 to 20 posts per day. Talk about desperate.

maybe not, but you're certainly getting ridiculously worked up over this. nice :up:

snowlock, you might want to chill out a bit. you yourself say it's just a silly poll so why are you defending it so much? and people's posts per day have nothing to do with this.

Snowlock said:
Actually, it took me five minutes. If you think it's difficult putting the names of bands in a list; I'd hate to see you grasp more difficult concepts, like taking a piss. And I'm certianly not doing it in 10 to 20 posts per day. Talk about desperate.

I'm well aware of a what a pathetic waste of life I am, thanks. :)

okie dokie then. i see two options: either stop insulting people, snowlock, or i'll close the thread.

if the band names beside the genres bother everyone so much i can remove them if snowlock wants me to.

KhanadaRhodes said:
snowlock, you might want to chill out a bit. you yourself say it's just a silly poll so why are you defending it so much? and people's posts per day have nothing to do with this.

I'm not defending the post. I defending my right to post. I pay my money just like everyone else and I can post as I please as long as I stay within the guidelines of the forum. I don't feel my posting gives others permission to criticize negatively and I will defend against that.

In the context of me wasting my time with a "rediculously long poll" the number of people's posts do have something to do with it. If they want to talk about wasting time, then lets talk about it. If a person posts a lot because they enjoy what they are doing, have made friends etc and are a positive or neutral presence, great. I would never look down or mock them and I appreciate their experiences they bring to the table. But if they want to get nasty, then I will too.

KhanadaRhodes said:
okie dokie then. i see two options: either stop insulting people, snowlock, or i'll close the thread.

if the band names beside the genres bother everyone so much i can remove them if snowlock wants me to.

Nope, close the thread please. Fuck it.

Back
Top Bottom