Poll: what, in your opinion, is the most ridiculous Olympic sport, summer or winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Double Luge, if only for that start off
tongue.gif

Well, first and foremost is OBVIOUSLY the proposed demonstration sport for one of the upcoming olympics: bridge.

Aside from that, balroom dancing (okay, so it was a demonstration sport), gymnastics, figure skating, synchronized swimming. Take your pick. None are "sports", all are pretty laughable.

Originally posted by Clark W. Griswold, Jr:
what's the sport where they wave the banner type thingys? Isn't it called rhythmic gymnastics? That's my pick

Rhythmic gymnastics or something. Yeah, that gets my vote as well.

Originally posted by Iron Chef MoFo:
Well, first and foremost is OBVIOUSLY the proposed demonstration sport for one of the upcoming olympics: bridge.

Aside from that, balroom dancing (okay, so it was a demonstration sport), gymnastics, figure skating, synchronized swimming. Take your pick. None are "sports", all are pretty laughable.

What the heck? I had a response to this here, but it's gone??? AGGHH! Mods?

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 02-23-2002).]

they had a thing several years ago ...some kind of ballet thing with skis...they got in a little snow covered area ...and did all kinds of tricks while wearing skis...they were trying to make it into a figure skating type thing...on skis. They looked...out of place..

I don't think they got to far with it...I haven't seen it since..

dream wanderer

Excuse me, but gymnastics and figure skating aren't sports? You know how much athleticism is needed for those events? Particularly gymnastics - that requires you to be in peak physical condition even if you want to be halfway-decent, nevermind top-of-the-field. Same with figure skating. That takes incredible skill and athleticism.

Or wait, is it simply because it's not 2 teams competing against each other that makes them non-sports?
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by dream wanderer:
they had a thing several years ago ...some kind of ballet thing with skis...they got in a little snow covered area ...and did all kinds of tricks while wearing skis...they were trying to make it into a figure skating type thing...on skis. They looked...out of place..

I don't think they got to far with it...I haven't seen it since..

dream wanderer

Agree on this one, it looked really silly. Synchronized swimming I guess is on that list too.

...gymnastics, figure skating...

As my last post has gone missing...

You try doing a 1440 turn in the air and landing on a blade of steel which is an eigth of an inch wide. Or doing a double somersault and catching yourself on two rings...flying through the air to do a double backflip...

Then tell me these aren't sports.

If ballroom dancing becomes a sport, I'll...I don't know. Do somethng drastic. Then why not make ballet a sport? It's harder and just as physically demanding as any of the above.

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 02-23-2002).]

Salome wrote:

but us Brits do it so well....

....have to agree about the Biatholalon..shooting-movement-shooting combination..not very riveting viewing

There's a difference between "athletics" and "sport".

Professional wrestling is "athletic". It is not a sport.

Any competition where a panel of judges subjectively decides one participant is "better" than another - and ESPECIALLY where "artistic merit" is a key, if not deciding component - is not a sport.

Besides which, figure skating, gymnastics, synchronized swimming and ballroom dancing really are all, more or less, the same thing. One just takes place on ice, another on a mat, the third in a pool, and the last on a dancefloor. I don't really get how people can bash something like synchronized swimming, or ballroom dancing, yet hold up figure skating and gymnastics as being "sports". They're all based on the same judging critera.

Curling. I know it's athletic and such, but it is incredibly boring to watch. Tickets for that must be easy.
wink.gif

Oh, and biatholon is pretty stupid as well. Meh.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Besides which, figure skating, gymnastics, synchronized swimming and ballroom dancing really are all, more or less, the same thing. One just takes place on ice, another on a mat, the third in a pool, and the last on a dancefloor. I don't really get how people can bash something like synchronized swimming, or ballroom dancing, yet hold up figure skating and gymnastics as being "sports". They're all based on the same judging critera.

Ballroom dancing doesn't have flips, somersaults, and the technical level of expertise required in the other three (weel, two as swimming doesn't count). The other two are much more difficult, and that's a major factor in a competition.

Walking in the Summer Olympics, totally stupid and theyy look like morons.

About the biathlon, it is a very traditional sport and it?s roots goes back very long. It?s very logical, many many many many years back they skied while they were out hunting, so that?s were it?s coming from. So maybe that?s one of the few sports that ACTUALLY makes sense...

AND it?s a very good TV-sport!

------------------
Olofski
SWEDEN
We move through miracle days Spirit moves in mysterious ways

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
Curling. I know it's athletic and such, but it is incredibly boring to watch. Tickets for that must be easy.
wink.gif

Actually, a Canadian broadcaster said they'd done an informal poll of the scalpers at SLC, and after 1. Figure Skating, and 2. Hockey, Curling tickets were the 3rd most in demand. So there ya go.
wink.gif

Most argeed IC. Bridge & Ballroom dancing a sport?

Any competition where a panel of judges subjectively decides one participant is "better" than another - and ESPECIALLY where "artistic merit" is a key, if not deciding component - is not a sport.

Actually, I agree with you. Those disciplines do not hold my interest. It's maybe that I don't get that artistic merit thingy. Anyway, in my personal opinion, every discipline in which a jury gives points to contestants should be removed from the Olympic Games (or they have to change the rules in such a way that no jury decisions have to be necessary). I mean, I don't understand it when, with the ski jumping, the person who has jumped farthest doesn't get the #1 position just because some other person jumped 'more beautiful'. The Olympic motto is Citius, Altius, Fortius (translated as Faster, Higher, Stronger) and not something like Faster, More Beautiful, More Artistical.

Besides, when having no disciplines in which a jury has to decide there will be less complaints about irregularities.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Seriously, they should have some sort of separate Olympics for billiards, table tennis, foosball, etc. I'd watch championship foosball if it were televised.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Double Luge, if only for that start off
tongue.gif

Yes, the start is rather....strange. I'm not sure how much American TV you get to see, but the 2 man luge teams look a lot like Saturday Night Live's Ace and Gary - "The Ambiguously Gay Duo"

[This message has been edited by Clark W. Griswold, Jr (edited 02-26-2002).]

whats the one where some guy throws himself down a slope on a metal tray???i think its called skeleton

but at least its not as stupid as calling the US baseball the "world" series

Back
Top Bottom