Poll: what are the CDs you plan to buy? Help me decide on something...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
So far i have been making a list of "CDs to buy", and Top 10 looks like this:

Cure: greatest hits
The Strokes: Is this it
Dave Matthews Band: (the album that has the songs The space between and that song he did on Telethone)
REM: Automatic for the people
Modjo: (the album with Lady)
Moby: Play
Manic Street Preachers: (the album with Ocean spray and Let robeson sing)
Van Morrison: (hmmm. Heard "Healing game" recently and loved it, but i also looove "Brown eyed girl". Prolly can't go wrong with greatest hits.)
Vonda Sheperd: Ally McBeal soundtrack
New Order: (the last one, with Crystal)

The "less known but i'm interested" section includes Daniel Lanois, David Gray, Calling, Electric soft parade)

The "classics" section includes Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Bob Dylan.

now comes the part where i need your help

The "heard of them but i have no idea whether i should give it a listen or not" section includes
David Bowie (ok i know Hero but that's it), Television, Velvet Underground, Pixies, Joy Division, Siouxie& the Banshees, Jane's addiction (i know Been caught stealing but that's it)

Who out there knows any/all of these bands?Is there a band today that sounds like any of these bands/artists so i can get some sort of idea what to expect? I heard of them several times but i have no clue what they sound like.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 05-03-2002).]

Not on your list, but be sure to check out Elbow's CD "Asleep in the Back". It is awesome!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by U2girl:
REM: Automatic for the people

oooh i have this cd. you have to get it!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by U2girl:
New Order: (the last one, with Crystal)

my husband (doctor gonzo) is a huge fan of new order and absolutely loves that cd, get ready. i heard it once and it didn't sound too bad, although i don't know their stuff so his review is better than mine.
biggrin.gif

oooooops...didn't look at the last section.

i also recommend david bowie (esp. his earlier stuff, a greatest hits might be the best thing to start with to get familiar with his work, since his music changes drastically in style sometimes.) and velvet underground and nico. it's a great album.
biggrin.gif

Joy Division - takes some getting used to (IMO)

Cure's Greatest Hits - I LOVE this CD

Van Morrison - I also recommend Astral Weeks

I just bought Elvis Costello's new one, When I was Cruel and its excellent, almost like the old Elvis of 1978.

I think anyone's greatests hits is a good way to go if your trying to get familiar with their music then if you really like them, you can buy the individual CD's. If you don't like them, then you've only wasted your money on one.

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
I just bought Elvis Costello's new one, When I was Cruel and its excellent, almost like the old Elvis of 1978.

amazing album.

I vote for going right to Daniel Lanois "Acadie." It's one of my all-time favorite records.

I'm a Dave Matthews Band fan and I have to tell you that the only 2 good songs on "Everyday" are the two you mentioned (this is the general consensus among most fans, but of course you might just love it). I think it's their worst record. I'd start with either "Under the Table Dreaming" or "Crash" or hold out for the new Lillywhite Sessions whenever it is released (very soon).

The Strokes album is good. I don't think they're the saviours of rock or anything, but it's definitely a fun album and way better than most American music.

I don't like the new DMB album. In fact, I was a fan of their music until I bought that album. As someone else said, the two songs you mentioned are the only good ones on the album. Buy Elbow instead.
biggrin.gif

REM is a great choice.

The Moby album is okay. I haven't listened to it in a long time, though.

The Manic Street Preachers album you mentioned is Know Your Enemy. I don't have this album yet, but MSP are fantastic.

New Order's Get Ready is great. One of their best albums in a long time, in my opinion.

I love David Gray's "White Ladder" album. I wore it out during my senior year of college because I always listened it to while studying or writing papers.

Electric Soft Parade is a good choice too. "Silent to the Dark" is one of my favourite tracks.

You can't go wrong with Joy Division. It's an acquired taste (I HATED them the first time I heard them), but the lyrics are absolutely gorgeous.

I know the other bands, but I don't feel qualified to comment on them, except to say that the Pixies album Doolittle was a staple to me during my freshman year of high school. I never really listened to anything else of theirs, though.

------------------
"There's a danger in every story and every smile" - South

Play is good, but it isn't for everyone. It is more soundtrack-type music, not exactly a lot of singing on some of them -- more instrumentals. It is a variety of music on Play, for sure, but it doesn't exactly "mesh" with the rest of the tracks, if that makes sense.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

Dont buy a Van the man cd!! he aint a nice bloke!

Radiohead- Pablo Honey (even tho u didnt mention it)
wink.gif

Moby- Play is good but its not great!

Get Bob Dylans -greatest hits or something hits its good

The Strokes- is this is is EXCELLENT!!!

David Gray- i dont like his music that much but everyone i know LOVES his album it aint bad

Pixies are good- download some tunes by them and c what u tink of them first!

Do you like the Smashing Pumpkins- if u dot have neting by them u should buy Adore- its a great album!

Originally posted by mikal:
Buy REM: Automatic For The People. It's a classic!

agreed. if you're going to get a dylan album, i'd recommend blonde on blonde. i'd also give a thumbs up to the velvet underground and nico.

I'll second the Velvet Underground and Nico.

If you want a Van Morrison album, you might want to listen to Astral Weeks and Moondance as well.

David Byrne - Look Into the Eyeball.
Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros - Rock Art and the X-Ray Style

They're grrrrrrreat!

------------------
It's like lotto - you gotta be in it to win it.

Keepin it krunk...

korn,s new album will be out soon get that and get all the ramones albums and the Hives cd,,, cant think of any more.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK, ROCK&ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
THE RAMONES
i dont want to be a pinhead no more.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Bono-vox: Pablo honey eh? Hmmm - will consider it. (Creep is on that album right?)

Sula: Elbow?
smile.gif
I saw one or two videos and i thought they were one of most interesting bands i heard in a while.

Khanada: Ahhh yes. Get ready it is - just couldn't remember it.

About Elvis Costello - he sang a song in Austin Powers 2 - is that written by him? I love that song.

Moby - 18 (coming in about 10 days)
"Nowhere" Soundtrack (hard to find)
Slowdive - Pygmalion (hard to find)
Brian Eno albums (I forget which one I want currently)

That's my wish list currently. Lately, I've been into disillusionment and angst in my music lately. I'm just a bit mad that most of the music I'm into is terribly obscure for the music stores around here.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

Just bought Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and it is incredible!

--------------

me3

every moment's a little bit later.

you have some good choices in your list U2Girl- being a huge Janes Addiction fan I reccomend that you get the album 'Ritual De Lo Habitual' it was their last album and it has Been caught stealing on it(which in my opinion is not really a great JA song- they really do have so many great songs)- this is a great album to get, but that is as long as you dont mind a bit of 'heavy' music- not that the sound is as big as Metallica or something like that, but I would say that if you are happy with bands like the Red hot chilli peppers, then you will like this album.......

Just recently I have been downloading some Siouxsie and the Banshees stuff and really I would recommend any of their work....

Ultimate cure album would be Disintergration- dong get the greatest hits- just get this album, it may as well be the Cure's greatest hits as nearly all of their best songs feature on this album...

Manic Street Preachers are a great band and the one that you are getting is their new album- but I would also recommend 'The Holy Bible'
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom