Politically Driven Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Most effective political band?

• Rage Against The Machine

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Manic Street Preachers (before Richey Edwards went AWOL on us)

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Public Enemy

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • U2

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • Radiohead

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prodigy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
you know for one the world is becoming too politically correct and its getting harder and harder to speak your mind

but anyway which one of these bands were the most effective bands which just had that itch to scratch?

I don't agree that it's getting harder to speak your mind- I think people are speaking out more now than ever before.....

I dunno *shrugs* maybe Im wrong

I had to say other ...

There are a whole host of more musicians whose music was much more effective:

Woody Guthrie
Bob Dylan
The music of the African American church during the 60's (the song We Shall Overcome comes to mind ... still an important political anthem for African Americans today)
Joan Baez
Marvin Gaye
John Lennon
Any number of other artists in the 1960s

The political is also personal. No disrespect to those bands who take it to the barricades, but the first (next, last, take your pick) musician able to melt my heart of stone gets the vote. That's the real lesson U2 learnt - or bloody well should have, I do wonder sometimes - in the 90s. Don't fucking sing about 'issues'.... hit me between the eyes with a human story, hit me where it cannot be ignored. Then I might begin to listen. If I am already one of the converted, then what the fuck are you singing to me for?

well...this is difficult

since rage is dissolved, it is challenging for them to be political still. i think each of these groups have had their own influence.

rage hit with the college kids that were already angry and gave them something worthwhile to be angry about.

public enemy (chuck d really) congregated the minorities to show that they had just as much power as anyone else in this country.

radiohead doesn't hit the mainstream too often...but when they do, the mainstream doesn't get it.

prodigy...:rolleyes:

our friends u2 had a good mix. where their songs were played on the radio, and people got it. but then...it doesn't take captain obvious to point out their general lack of politicalness in their songs lately. of course, atyclb has more of a personal care kind of tone to it. saving things at home. but that doesn't take away from what they did in chile or in sarajevo or how they used zootv...that was political.

jessicaAnn - i think this poll is dedicated toward more recent political artists. though i do agree with each of your selections.

I went with U2- mainly because of the masses that they reach- therefore you could assume that their message is getting to more people, but then again you have to wonder if half the people who listen to U2s music as a casual fan are even actually aware of their beliefs and issues- I hope that they are...........but then you look at artists like Public Enemy aor RATM and most of those who listen to their music I would assume are aware as to what they are listening to and the issues being brought forward of course their will be those who wont give a shit and are only listening for the musical component, but anyway I really do think that artists like Public Enemy and say Bob Marley have been some of the most popular and successful at promoting the issues and plights of their people, so I guess now that I reflect my vote should of gone towards these two:)

Back
Top Bottom