Police say it's no Bull: Chicago mascot dealt pot at Cabrini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
He's known for his antics on the United Center's basketball court.

Now Chicago Bulls mascot Chester J. Brewer is appearing in a court of law.

Brewer, who has worked part time for the team since 1996 as "Da Bull," was arrested at 11:30 p.m. Monday for allegedly selling marijuana out of the trunk of a car in the Cabrini-Green public housing complex.

Brewer, a former Jesse White tumbler, was charged with delivery of marijuana, a felony, officials said. He was caught with six ounces of pot and a scale was found in his trunk, police said.

Secretary of State Jesse White, who has known Brewer since he joined his famous tumbling team at age 6, said he wishes him well, said Dave Druker, a spokesman for White.

"The accusations would not allow someone to be on the team if they were true," Druker said.

Brewer, 31, was driving members to events until about a year and a half ago, Druker said. But he wasn't on the team then.

He also taught tumbling at Lake Shore Prep, a Chicago elementary school, until October when he took a leave of absence, said a school spokeswoman.

A 2002 bankruptcy filing showed Brewer had earned $18,000 from the Jesse White tumblers in 2000 and 2001, and $4,000 for his tumbling work at Lakeshore Prep in 2002.

Brewer has been arrested at least 10 times since the early 1990s on charges ranging from domestic battery to marijuana possession, but all the cases were dismissed. He received court supervision in 1993 for leaving the scene of an injury accident, records show.

On Sept. 2 he was arrested outside his home in the 900 block of North Cleveland on several traffic charges, including driving under the influence and leaving the scene of an injury accident. The DUI case is pending and Brewer's driver's license remains suspended, officials said.

On Monday night, Chicago Police tactical officers were conducting a surveillance operation when they saw Brewer make three suspected drug transactions in the 500 block of West Locust from the trunk of a purple 1996 Buick Riviera, said Sgt. Edward Alonzo.

The officers allegedly recovered a brown paper bag containing several plastic bags of marijuana worth $1,054 on the street.

On the arrest report, Brewer's occupation was listed as "team mascot."

Tim Hallam, a spokesman for the Bulls, said he could not comment on Brewer's status with the organization until team officials speak with him. Hallam said he was unaware of Brewer's previous brushes with the law.

The Bulls' Web site says Da Bull is the 6-foot, 250-pound cousin of the other mascot, Benny the Bull. However, police said Brewer is 5-foot-4.

"He lost his tail while practicing his amazing dunks at the United Center," the site says. "An injury to his hoof during the 1999-2000 Bulls season sidelined Da Bull briefly, but he returned to the trampoline after a short recovery period."

Da Bull and Benny the Bull frequently attend school assemblies and other events, the Web site said.

Calls to Brewer's home went unanswered Tuesday.

mascot2.gif

dabull_030306.jpg

dellguy1.jpg

what is scary is that he doesn't look THAT different than the costume charachter.

I went to a Timberwolves game on a PRESS credential for the local Minneapolis daily paper when I was in college (the beat writer offered me the opportunity after I had helped him with his college article - my beat) - and all the beat writers told me about "crunch" getting caught doin' it "doggie style" :wink: to a teen in a closet at Target Center.

:huh:

6 whole ounces?

Good lord, he's a drug king! Get him off the streets!

Christ. The guy in the room next door has more pot than that in his dresser. And he's my RA.

It's comforting to know that the police are focusing effort on busting a guy with 6 ounces in his car while this guy is still on the loose.

Holy shit, are your police priorities ever fucked up down there. :tsk:

Well, you have to understand Cabrini Green, Dave.

The chances of picking up someone on "distribution" and NOT finding other offenses (offences for you ;) ) is pretty slim. Cabrini Green has cleaned up over the years...but it's still one of the least desirable places to be in after dark in the U.S.

Now, you add the whole mascot thing...and WAH-LAAAA...a nice news story!

zoney! said:
Well, you have to understand Cabrini Green, Dave.

The chances of picking up someone on "distribution" and NOT finding other offenses (offences for you ;) ) is pretty slim. Cabrini Green has cleaned up over the years...but it's still one of the least desirable places to be in after dark in the U.S.

Now, you add the whole mascot thing...and WAH-LAAAA...a nice news story!

:yes: I wouldn't want to go near there....and I lived near Chicago and Cabrini Green for years! :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom