Poetry Lovers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eliot's The Waste Land is probably his most famous piece, if not one of the most famous poems in the 20th century so you'd be able to find a lot of literature about it.

Are you looking for any poem/ theme in particular?

I just need a poem which represents all of his works. I've already eliminated Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats.

It doesn't have to be the most popular poem (I would prefer that it wasn't but that's just me). If there's poem that isn't widely known but summarizes Eliot's poetry then that's what I need.

I wouldn't exactly call The Waste Land introductory material. You probably need to read more source texts to understand that thing than any other work in history.

The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, while well known, is a great place to start. The themes of mortality are pretty easy to pick up, and it has a lot of nice imagery and language.

Portrait of a Lady is another early one that's not too complicated. If you're trying to do something different than everyone else this wouldn't be bad.

laz

lazarus said:
I wouldn't exactly call The Waste Land introductory material. You probably need to read more source texts to understand that thing than any other work in history.

Nope. That distinguishment would go to a friend to whom Eliot was a great influence. Ever attempted to make sense of James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake ?

Last edited:
I was thinking poetry but Finnegan's is probably more that than prose. Funny you mentioned it because I think Eliot & Joyce are the two most gifted writers of the English language ever.

Also, I'd say The Waste Land is more readable/understandable, even if you don't get all the references.

laz

When is this due, and what level of school is it for?

My thing was Spanish lit, so I don't know about Eliot specifically, but the best thing to do is probably check out a biography on him and a collection or two of some of his works from the library. If there's a good selection, look for books that aren't too old, maybe ones that were published within the last 15 years, at least to start with. Read the introductions, skim a few of the poems, see what images/devices are used frequently, try and get a feel for his style. Then look at some of his better-known works and decide for yourself what you think is most representative.

You really need to figure out why you feel the one or two poems are representative of his work, not what everyone else thinks, and I think the only way to really do that is to acquaint yourself with the work and the author.

This is due April 22 for my high school english class. I was actually just wondering if anyone was familiar w/ Eliot's work and what they thought was the most representative. It would just be a guideline and a place to start since I have no clue.

Back
Top Bottom