Plock, Poland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, just ordered the EP... better safe than sorry!

Please do make us watch all the shows then! I used to be huge on sports when I was younger, not as much now but I would like to watch it in any case. Hopefully it will also help me understand American sports (baseball has been a challenge).

haha, well I'm glad I could give you some warning then ;).

I have no idea how good they will be, quality wise, of course, but I'd be glad to share anyways. Baseball...don't get me started, or I'll spend the next 800 posts of this thread on just that topic.

That's exactly how I feel now. Although I really like NYC, it made me see lots of good stuff about Geneva that I was taking for granted. Not to mention that after so many years you sort of feel like the place is yours is some funny way. And I never got tired of the scenery there, it's just so perfect. What we got tired of was the cultural life, music scene, etc - although international, Geneva (and more so Switzerland) always felt like a very provincial place. We also quickly fell in a sort of routine of work-home-going to restaurants sometimes-travelling once in a while, but it felt like we needed a bit more of excitement, you know. Now we get all the excitement, but the noise, overcrowding, lack of safety (in comparison) are hard to get used to.

Never been to Liechtenstein, unfortunately. I should plan to go soon then.

I know what you mean about thinking of a place as yours even when you're not at all from there. It's funny how quickly I began thinking of myself as a Melburnian. Within months of coming down here, really. I never once thought of myself as a Queenslander, and I lived there for almost a decade. Though see, for me, I most want to escape from cities. I grew up in a country seaside town on the edge of a city, and I miss that. I've been living in inner cities or suburban sprawl for too long and it frustrates me.

I must say, the standard of everything in Switzerland really impressed me. The quality of the food, the efficiency of the public transport, it was all impeccable. The Swiss seem to really know how to get things done.

And oh wow, the scenery. I was blown away by the mountains, the lakes ... how clear the lakes were! I was stunned to see pristine water on the shores of major cities. They'd be fucking murky here.

haha, well I'm glad I could give you some warning then ;).

I have no idea how good they will be, quality wise, of course, but I'd be glad to share anyways. Baseball...don't get me started, or I'll spend the next 800 posts of this thread on just that topic.

And then the Aussies will kick us out! But seriously, I'm becoming a Yankees fan (better than the Mets, I guess) even without understanding what's the big deal about baseball !

Oh, and Europeans are so much more ... well, cultured than Australians. Specific examples have just escaped my mind, but multiple times I remember remarking on things as "you'd never see that happen in Australia because bogans would just wreck/steal/smash it".

Renato, it's decided: you're coming down here and we're sucking you into rugby and Aussie Rules. You're a fan of the All Blacks, just so you know.

And then the Aussies will kick us out! But seriously, I'm becoming a Yankees fan (better than the Mets, I guess) even without understanding what's the big deal about baseball !

Don't you go and do a thing like that, Renato. I don't want to have to hate you.

What is it about baseball you don't understand? < Asking the broad questions.

I know what you mean about thinking of a place as yours even when you're not at all from there. It's funny how quickly I began thinking of myself as a Melburnian. Within months of coming down here, really. I never once thought of myself as a Queenslander, and I lived there for almost a decade. Though see, for me, I most want to escape from cities. I grew up in a country seaside town on the edge of a city, and I miss that. I've been living in inner cities or suburban sprawl for too long and it frustrates me.

I must say, the standard of everything in Switzerland really impressed me. The quality of the food, the efficiency of the public transport, it was all impeccable. The Swiss seem to really know how to get things done.

And oh wow, the scenery. I was blown away by the mountains, the lakes ... how clear the lakes were! I was stunned to see pristine water on the shores of major cities. They'd be fucking murky here.

Hahaha, I never got used to swimming in lakes, but it's true that there's no place like Switzerland in terms of water cleanliness... and the lakes closer to the mountains are even cleaner, if that's at all possible!

Yeah, it was sort of the opposite for me, I gradually moved from huge cities to smaller and smaller places... but I'm sure I will want to go back to a smaller place in the future. Actually, in 6 months I may have to decide whether to stay here or go back - I can't entertain the thought of having to move yet again, but who knows! Maybe I'll get tired of it!!

What did you think of Paris and Amsterdam?

Hahaha, I never got used to swimming in lakes, but it's true that there's no place like Switzerland in terms of water cleanliness... and the lakes closer to the mountains are even cleaner, if that's at all possible!

Yeah, it was sort of the opposite for me, I gradually moved from huge cities to smaller and smaller places... but I'm sure I will want to go back to a smaller place in the future. Actually, in 6 months I may have to decide whether to stay here or go back - I can't entertain the thought of having to move yet again, but who knows! Maybe I'll get tired of it!!

What did you think of Paris and Amsterdam?

I don't know how they can keep the water that clean. I was really impressed. We did see a couple of fairly muddy rivers on the train trip to Zurich, but they were very much the exception.

Another move? I'd probably stay put just for the sake of staying put! In fact, that's pretty much what I'm doing at present. I've grown so sick of moving that I'm delighted I've been in the same place now for over 2.5 years.

Paris ... I liked the sights I saw and I want to go back to see all the things I missed, but as a city, it was perhaps my least favourite destination of the bunch. Sometimes it just felt ... grotty, I guess. It simply didn't capture my imagination or attention in the way some other places did. We only spent a day in Amsterdam proper, but I really liked it, especially with all the canals.

Oh, and Europeans are so much more ... well, cultured than Australians. Specific examples have just escaped my mind, but multiple times I remember remarking on things as "you'd never see that happen in Australia because bogans would just wreck/steal/smash it".

Cultured is a good word - I think this is true in comparison to any Continent, really. Even in terms of general knowledge, geography, history, etc.

Renato, it's decided: you're coming down here and we're sucking you into rugby and Aussie Rules. You're a fan of the All Blacks, just so you know.

But I am an All Blacks fan! I was devastated when you guys lost to France in the World Cup (granted, this was caused more by the fact that France had won)

Don't you go and do a thing like that, Renato. I don't want to have to hate you.

What is it about baseball you don't understand? < Asking the broad questions.

Hahaha, yeah, they seem to be a divisive team. But come on, I live in NYC now... and they win, like, a lot, as far as I'm concerned. Please don't hate me! :reject:

I get most of the rules and stuff. I guess I don't see the appeal of a sport where you spend 98% of your time waiting for the pitcher to get ready to throw the ball! Paradoxically, I like tennis, which has lots of no-action moments as well, but I feel baseball is too slow for me.

Maybe I'll change my mind once the Yankees win the World Series?
Please don't hate me again!

Hahaha, yeah, they seem to be a divisive team. But come on, I live in NYC now... and they win, like, a lot, as far as I'm concerned. Please don't hate me! :reject:

I get most of the rules and stuff. I guess I don't see the appeal of a sport where you spend 98% of your time waiting for the pitcher to get ready to throw the ball! Paradoxically, I like tennis, which has lots of no-action moments as well, but I feel baseball is too slow for me.

Maybe I'll change my mind once the Yankees win the World Series?
Please don't hate me again!

:grumpy:

Oh well, if it's an appeal thing, you might likely never get into the sport. That obviously is the major turnoff for most people. I can't explain the appeal, except to say that a lot of baseball is a mind game, in a lot of respects. As you said there is a lot of no-action time in tennis, but I don't believe there's any sport, save golf, with as much downtime as baseball.

I don't know how they can keep the water that clean. I was really impressed. We did see a couple of fairly muddy rivers on the train trip to Zurich, but they were very much the exception.

Another move? I'd probably stay put just for the sake of staying put! In fact, that's pretty much what I'm doing at present. I've grown so sick of moving that I'm delighted I've been in the same place now for over 2.5 years.

Paris ... I liked the sights I saw and I want to go back to see all the things I missed, but as a city, it was perhaps my least favourite destination of the bunch. Sometimes it just felt ... grotty, I guess. It simply didn't capture my imagination or attention in the way some other places did. We only spent a day in Amsterdam proper, but I really liked it, especially with all the canals.

Yeah, this latest move was hectic enough, I want to stay put for as long as I can now. Perhaps just moving from Brooklyn to Manhattan eventually, but not more than that!

I find Paris a gorgeous city, but not necessarily as interesting as other places. Amsterdam is great, the canals give it a nice feel. And the Dutch are good people (more so than the French, imho).

In fact, one of the biggest things I can suggest to you, Renato, is to go to a game. If the atmosphere can't get you into it (and at a Yankee's game, I'd assume there'd be great atmosphere) then probably nothing can.

Cultured is a good word - I think this is true in comparison to any Continent, really. Even in terms of general knowledge, geography, history, etc.

The whole boganism thing just didn't seem half as prevalent in Europe. It was nice. And damn, I was impressed with the language skills of everybody there. Coming from a country where people who know even a second language are considered a bit of a curiosity, it was honestly embarrassing.

But I am an All Blacks fan! I was devastated when you guys lost to France in the World Cup (granted, this was caused more by the fact that France had won)

Oh man, that quarter final blew so much, especially since we had the team to win, and DIDN'T SELECT IT because we were holding onto some players for the semis. Jesus Christ. It's sudden death: you should always field your best team!

:grumpy:

Oh well, if it's an appeal thing, you might likely never get into the sport. That obviously is the major turnoff for most people. I can't explain the appeal, except to say that a lot of baseball is a mind game, in a lot of respects. As you said there is a lot of no-action time in tennis, but I don't believe there's any sport, save golf, with as much downtime as baseball.

Oh, and the obsession with statistics! I'm amazed at how many acronyms there can be to measure the performance of a player (and I'm used to acronyms like ATYCLB, HMTMKMKM!!!). I'm not trying to criticize it, don't get me wrong, I just wish I could share the appeal. Perhaps I don't understand the tactical stuff, I dunno. I did have fun watching Yankees x Red Sox in a pub last week, though.

Yeah, this latest move was hectic enough, I want to stay put for as long as I can now. Perhaps just moving from Brooklyn to Manhattan eventually, but not more than that!

I find Paris a gorgeous city, but not necessarily as interesting as other places. Amsterdam is great, the canals give it a nice feel. And the Dutch are good people (more so than the French, imho).

Haha, I photographed a Dutch train going to Brooklyn! Well, Breukelen, after which Brooklyn is named.

I was amazed at how many Dutch people seemed to be at all the gigs. GG2 seemed to have no problem finding other people who spoke Dutch. Rarely did we see people from our part of the world ... though I did pass two people in Dublin, one wearing an All Blacks shirt and one wearing a WELLINGTON HURRICANES shirt.

Oh man, that quarter final blew so much, especially since we had the team to win, and DIDN'T SELECT IT because we were holding onto some players for the semis. Jesus Christ. It's sudden death: you should always field your best team!

Yeah, that game sucked. But it was probably the game that made me really like rugby (that and the performance of Argentina, to be honest).

Oh, and the obsession with statistics! I'm amazed at how many acronyms there can be to measure the performance of a player (and I'm used to acronyms like ATYCLB, HMTMKMKM!!!). I'm not trying to criticize it, don't get me wrong, I just wish I could share the appeal. Perhaps I don't understand the tactical stuff, I dunno. I did have fun watching Yankees x Red Sox in a pub last week, though.

God I love stats :lol:. Definitely a huge part of the appeal.

I get what you're saying, especially in the area you're in, you'd want to understand what all the fuss is about lol.

As much as baseball may love its statistics, I think cricket may actually outdo it on that count.

And actually, on this count, it sometimes surprises me just how stats-heavy Aussie Rules is, for a football code. It's obviously got nothing on the baseballs and crickets of this world, but I see Aussie Rules fans following stats with an avidness that I would never expect to encounter in rugby.

Haha, I photographed a Dutch train going to Brooklyn! Well, Breukelen, after which Brooklyn is named.

I was amazed at how many Dutch people seemed to be at all the gigs. GG2 seemed to have no problem finding other people who spoke Dutch. Rarely did we see people from our part of the world ... though I did pass two people in Dublin, one wearing an All Blacks shirt and one wearing a WELLINGTON HURRICANES shirt.

Hahaha, I guess the Dutch reputation of travelers (and U2 fans) is close to reality then.

Btw, did you like the shows?

Oh, and congrats on the work with u2gigs - it's been great to follow the tour there.

Best part of baseball game is filling out one of these badboys :drool:

game2card.jpg

God I love stats :lol:. Definitely a huge part of the appeal.

I get what you're saying, especially in the area you're in, you'd want to understand what all the fuss is about lol.

As much as baseball may love its statistics, I think cricket may actually outdo it on that count.

And actually, on this count, it sometimes surprises me just how stats-heavy Aussie Rules is, for a football code. It's obviously got nothing on the baseballs and crickets of this world, but I see Aussie Rules fans following stats with an avidness that I would never expect to encounter in rugby.

Maybe this has to do with the fact that I come from a place where the only true sport is football (or soccer, whatever you want to call it). I mean, I can't think of more than 3 or 4 stats that would be shown during a football match - in the whole 90 minutes!

Yeah, that game sucked. But it was probably the game that made me really like rugby (that and the performance of Argentina, to be honest).

Now Argentina, there's a country that plays exciting rugby and that I hope only gets better and better. I really badly want them to be included in the Tri-Nations with South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia just so that they have an annual tournament in which to play, but you can imagine how awful the travel for the players in such a tournament would be. The Tri-Nations is hard enough with all the travel to and from South Africa.

Btw, did you like the shows?

Oh, and congrats on the work with u2gigs - it's been great to follow the tour there.

Shows were good but not great. Obviously The Unforgettable Fire and Bad were amazing moments every time they happened. But ... I have my criticisms. I think my review of the Paris shows on U2gigs airs the most significant of them.

Thanks. It's been great running the site. Perhaps the best part of the tour for me, actually! :lol:

Now Argentina, there's a country that plays exciting rugby and that I hope only gets better and better. I really badly want them to be included in the Tri-Nations with South Africa, New Zealand, and Australia just so that they have an annual tournament in which to play, but you can imagine how awful the travel for the players in such a tournament would be. The Tri-Nations is hard enough with all the travel to and from South Africa.

Yeah, they played an exciting game indeed. And that coming from a Brazilian! The Southern hemisphere is just to spread out - the time difference, temperatures, costs, flight time. I can see why they are reluctant.

Well, lads, I need to go to bed to get up early for work tomorrow. It was great to chat with you guys after such a long time. Now that I'm settled I'll come more often.

Take care!!

Yeah, they played an exciting game indeed. And that coming from a Brazilian! The Southern hemisphere is just to spread out - the time difference, temperatures, costs, flight time. I can see why they are reluctant.

It's especially irritating as a fan, because the four Southern Hemisphere countries BY FAR play more exciting rugby than the Northern countries - I will argue vehemently that a Tri-Nations + Argentina kind of tournament would be the unofficial World Cup (hell, I think it is right now) and that the Northern teams are borderline redundant, playing dull, unexciting, defensive rugby without any flair. France and Italy may be somewhat exceptions to this, and Wales historically, but nobody wants to see England play. Their style of rugby is dull as dishwater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom