Please reomend some CLASSICAL music for me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
I really do like classical music, but basically it is a genre that I am not that familiar with. I have to say that the only piece that I am familiar with is Beethoven's #5 symphony. I would like to get some more, so can anyone list some of the essential classical works that an amateur fan should have:)

Classical music is just as varied as popular music. Theres operas, ballets, orchestral, etc. There will be some you like, some you hate and some in between.

I studied ballet for 16 years so tchaikovsky "The Nutcracker", and "Swan Lake" are up there as favourites of mine.

Rimsky-Korsakov "Flight of the Bumble Bee" - again another Russian

Brahms "Hungarian Dances" - German

Prokofiev "Peter and the Wolf" - although written for children is still a good intro. Again Russian.

Rachmaninov?s "3rd Concerto". This was the piece of music that Ben Mendelsson ? or that other actor who always reminds me of Ben, tackled in the movie Shine. - umm, another Russian.

Umm, Im a bit lopsided in that I prefer the more dramatic and some times military Russian/German music. Im not really into Beethoven or most of the operas. But Im sure someone else can help you there.

You have probably heard Ravels "Bolero" and not realised it. - French.

And that opera they always play in horror movies - the name escapes me at the moment.

As for modern orchestral music, Im a big fan of the soundtrack to Bram Strokers Dracula by Wojciech Kilar - Poland. Again losts of strings and drums and DRAMA, baby :up:

Remember the days of Torville and Dean, Oz? They got their perfect 10 from Bolero.
:drool:

Carmina Burana is the music playing in the slow motion scene in Jackass where they are riding the shopping cart down the road.

Try some Greig - In The Hall Of The Mountain King. Very well known piece of music.

Tchaikovsky is my favourite, along with more of Ravel.
:up:

I agree about Ravel - give that a try.
Debussy's 'Clair de Lune' is also something you'll probably recognize - I quite like it. :)
Holst's 'the planets suite' is also good - sounds like it was done for a movie really...probably because John Williams based some of his 'star wars' compositions on this...

Pachabel's Canon is nice.... Wagner's good for "drama"; particularly "Ride of the Valkryies" (spelling???).

My problem is I recognize LOTS of tunes....I just don't know many titles/composers....

You'll recognize Rossini's(sp?)overtures...they are used in cartoons and many movies. Also Mendelssohn(sp?-I can't tell if I'm spelling correctly this morning)
Verdi's Requiem is amazing...there is a bit on the first CD that AvsGirl mentioned.
Bacchanale from Samson and Delilah by Saint-Saens is awesome, try to get your hands on that. It's only 6 minutes long.

"The Rite Of Spring" & "Firebird Suite" by Igor Stravinsky as starters. "Petrouska" is also very good.
If you're feeling adventurous, try some Edgard Varese.
Not actually clasical music, but it is symphonic.
Be forewarned, his stuff can be downright scary at times. :)

I cannot believe this has not been mentioned:

Handel - Water Music 'Wassermusik'

I have to agree with:

Holst - The Planets
Ravel - Bolero

Back
Top Bottom