Please Help!!!!! (tech related)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I know I have not been around for a while, but I am in need of some computer help. I have been given a dual CPU 2GHZ machine and as far as I can tell it is supposed to be able to do everything including microwave popcorn.

Anyway the problem I ah having is this;

My soundcard plays music, videos, etc at a faster speed than they are supposed to play at. My IT dept cannot help, so I look to you, Interferencers to lend a hand if you know how to fix this...

Thanks in advance,

I not at all a tech geek, but I have the same problem with my computer when my RAM runs extremely low. Does your computer have enough RAM?

Ask your tech department to check the drivers, chances are its a driver problem... Tech departments are often useless, though, from what I hear.

First: Check your program settings and preferences, just as a quick safety to make sure its none of those things (but it doesnt sound like it is, so don't look too hard - most mediaplayers dont allow you to change the speed at which a file plays).
Second: Go into your hardware list, and make sure you don't have any media hardware devices conflicting. A conflict is usually indicated by a red highlight and/or one of those ! yellow exclamation signs. If it has one of those, find the detailed information and see what is in conflict - usually its drivers.
Third: Check to see if you have the most updated driver for you soundcard and video cards - but especially your soundcard. Sometimes it won't say theres a conflict, but, really... there still can be. More often then not, its a driver issue - your soundcard manufacturer will have an online list of driver updates that you can download and install.

If none of those work, then I'm really not sure what to tell you without more information. :slant:

In either case, RAM generally shouldnt influence the speed at which a peice of hardware works... I'm not going to count that out, but I really cant think of any reason why RAM would effect audio speed and not video speed - since the nature of RAM is to cache data for immediate and immediate impending use; lack of RAM tends to make things slow down rather than speed up. That being said, this is why Im fairly certain that its hardware and hardware-driver related.

Hopefully thats of some help. If its none of those things, I'm really not sure what to say, without actually looking at it myself.

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
Tech departments are often useless, though, from what I hear.

HEY!!! :madspit:

Trust me, you have NO idea what tech departments have to deal with on a daily basis :|

Well, I know they have to deal with pains in the asses like me and with stupid problems like this, but when a new machine is dropped on a user that has problems, what is the user to do?

Thanks unforgettable, I will look into what you said...

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

HEY!!! :madspit:

Trust me, you have NO idea what tech departments have to deal with on a daily basis :|

My friend has worked tech support for 2 years, and apart from being shafted by his employer constantly, he also gets to deal with the ridiculous nonsensical problems that people have like their computer not working because the mouse isnt plugged in - so the cursor doesnt move... and then the yelling over the phone for five minutes about how modern technology sucks n stuff, and it has nothing to do with their own incompetence; meanwhile, hanging up the phone on a client (no matter how unreasonable or aggrevating) will get you fired. So, in an abstract way, I sort of do just from hearing stories... I wouldnt be able to deal with that, which is why Im glad they chose not to hire me for some total bullshit reason when I applied, cause Id go berzerk. Also, one of my co-scouters works with TD/CT and since the merger, the tech department has gone downhill, from what I hear, there are very few competent bodies in there. The implications of this, is that the few compentent folks have to work their asses off to get the necessary work done, and done properly - and I suspect that you are probably one of those people. Thats just a guess though, no doubt you know what youre talking about at any rate :) I have a lot of respect for people who do tech work and do it well, and I have a lot of impatience for tech people who have no idea what theyre doing and pretend they know more than me; Im by no means a master, I only have a casual personal interest, but when someone is being paid to know less then I know, it really makes me question why Im still unemployed while someone else gets reasonably good pay to fumble about and not accomplish anything. So you see my position of bitter ennui against such people.

Back
Top Bottom