Please help me Pink Floyd fans.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ulove2

The Fly
I want to buy a DVD for my hubby for Xmas and was wondering if there are any with gilmore and waters performing together???

I have pulse and the wall live from berlin but I am looking for something with both of them, any suggestions?

there is a box-set of dvd's and vhs tapes for about 50 $ on ebay, lots and lots of stuff , but year buy live at pompeii ( it's thier best video ) , and pretty soon they say , the Wall live 80-81 will be released on dvd , but that's just a rumour , the wall shows were the shows where Gilmour and Waters performed on stage 2gether for the last time .

OK, here we go. I'm the resident PF guru around here so I should be able to help you out.

In the way of DVD's there's unfortunately not a whole lot of stuff out there yet. Mainly what's out there (at least in terms of strictly Floyd) is Live at Pompeii, The Wall (the movie, not a concert), and Classic Albums: The Dark Side of the Moon.

I wouldn't recommend getting Live at Pompeii if your husband doesn't like pre-Dark Side stuff. It's pretty trippy stuff, long psychedelic compositions with little singing and a lot of noise. Also, a dog howling the blues for 3 minutes. Unless your husband is a hardcore Floydian, I wouldn't recommend it, at least not yet.

Now, as for The Wall, it's a movie, not a concert. It's the film that basically shows the story of what the album The Wall is all about; a rock star named Pink slowly going nuts. Bob Geldof plays Pink, and it's not a bad movie at all (if a bit freakish sometimes). Not a bad choice, but like I said, it shows no concert footage, and Pink Floyd isn't actually in the movie, just the music from The Wall in behind.

Classic Albums: The Dark Side of the Moon is a good choice if your husband is a fan of that album, but there's no live footage at all, it's basically the band being interviewed about how it was made. It's old interviews and a bit of old footage edited together. Not worth the price unless you can find it under about 15 bucks.

Now there's some Roger Waters DVD's out there that are good too.

There's the Wall Live in Berlin, which you've already said he has. But th best of the pack (at least until PULSE is released on DVD), is Roger Waters: In the Flesh.

It's Rog doing about 2 hours of Floyd songs with an excellent backing band on his most recent 2001 tour. He also throws in some very good solo songs too.

I would recommend getting Roger Waters: In the Flesh. I guarantee your husband will love it. :up:

In The Flesh doesn't have Gilmour in it, be aware of that. But the backing band is fantastic. It includes Doyle Bramhall III (reminds me of SRV on guitar) and Snowy White (formerly of Thin Lizzy, also fecking brilliant on guitar).

If you're absolutely adamant about getting Dave in there, wait until Is There Anybody Out There is released on DVD (if it ever is).

If you're open to getting VHS though, Delicate Sound of Thunder is amazing as well (but still no Rog).

I recommend first and foremost, In the Flesh.

If you really want Dave & Rog together in concert, your only option (at this point) is Pompeii, but, like I said, only get Pompeii if your husband likes pre-Dark Side stuff.

Last edited:
Thank you DaveC, I really appreciate the info.....I will definately take you recommendation and hold off the the pompeii dvd......

DaveC said:
OK, here we go. I'm the resident PF guru around here so I should be able to help you out.

Davec - I'll battle you for that title (or maybe just settle for being vice guru). :)

Just looked at the dates on this... didn't realise it was an older post! :der:

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

Davec - I'll battle you for that title (or maybe just settle for being vice guru). :)

Just looked at the dates on this... didn't realise it was an older post! :der:

Always good to have a Floyd thread up here anyway!

And i'll also battle for the crown of Floyd guru!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom