Please explain this Christmas tradition to me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
I have seen photos and media clips of people in the UK and other European countries wearing paper crowns on their heads during Christmas. Would someone kindly explain this tradition to me?

Thank you! :)

12-25-IM000017.jpg

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
ok, now explain Christmas crackers to me.

christmas crackers:

crackers.jpg

it takes 2 people, 1 holding each end. you pull hard and whoever gets the large piece when it breaks (and goes bang) get the "prize' inside. your basic christmas cracker has those hats inside

They might have lost bets ;)
Seriously, it's the first time I hear about it.. It could be... Bah, no lol (I was about to say interesting ahah)

the rockin edge said:

christmas crackers:

crackers.jpg

it takes 2 people, 1 holding each end. you pull hard and whoever gets the large piece when it breaks (and goes bang) get the "prize' inside. your basic christmas cracker has those hats inside

ok but there has to be a reason for the hats. I want to know the historical tradtional reasons for it! :whine:

we do christmas crackers every year. We each get out own though.

I can't remember the reason for the hats.

has something to do with being king I'd guess.

*goes to google

I've checked several sites and it's repeatedly referred to as just a colorful party hat so I'm wrong about the king thing :tsk:

Christmas crackers are a Christmas favourite in the U.K.. They were first made in 1850 by a London sweet maker called Tom Smith. One night, while he was sitting in front of his log fire, he became very interested by the sparks and cracks coming from the flames. Suddenly, he thought what a fun idea it would be, if his sweets and toys could be opened with a crack when their fancy wrappers were pulled in half.

The Crackers that are used today are short cardboard tubes wrapped in colourful paper. There is normally a Cracker next to each plate on the Christmas dinner table. When the crackers are pulled - with a bang! - a colourful party hat, a toy or gift and a festive joke falls out! The party hats look like crowns and it is thought that they symbolise the crowns worn that might have been worn by the Wise Men.

The largest Cracker ever made was 181' 11" long and had a diameter of 11' 9"! Now that is one big bang! It was made in December 1998 in a Shopping Mall in Sydney, Australia.

ETA:
you can buy them at williams and sonoma or much cheaper at T.J Max and stores like that.

You're in luck. They are all on sale right now :wink: Come to the La Jolla store :happy: I'll be there tomorrow til about 6.30ish

People don't know about Christmas cracker hats? :( They're the best thing about Christmas dinner! The family pictures I could dig up... :drool:

Oh, and the tradition isn't just confined to the UK and Europe.

redkat said:
I've checked several sites and it's repeatedly referred to as just a colorful party hat so I'm wrong about the king thing :tsk:

Christmas crackers are a Christmas favourite in the U.K.. They were first made in 1850 by a London sweet maker called Tom Smith. One night, while he was sitting in front of his log fire, he became very interested by the sparks and cracks coming from the flames. Suddenly, he thought what a fun idea it would be, if his sweets and toys could be opened with a crack when their fancy wrappers were pulled in half.

The Crackers that are used today are short cardboard tubes wrapped in colourful paper. There is normally a Cracker next to each plate on the Christmas dinner table. When the crackers are pulled - with a bang! - a colourful party hat, a toy or gift and a festive joke falls out! The party hats look like crowns and it is thought that they symbolise the crowns worn that might have been worn by the Wise Men.

The largest Cracker ever made was 181' 11" long and had a diameter of 11' 9"! Now that is one big bang! It was made in December 1998 in a Shopping Mall in Sydney, Australia.

ETA:
you can buy them at williams and sonoma or much cheaper at T.J Max and stores like that.

thank you for the info. :up:

I remember doing the Christmas cracker hat thing when I was in the UK one Christmas - you can also see Bridget and her dad wear them in the first Bridget Jones movie.... :D

Back
Top Bottom