Please enough excuses, may be destiny!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bellvue

Babyface
So much for blaming the ref, Totti was only sent off 5 minutes before Ahn's golden, even though it was a bad call, that was not the difference. More important than the ejection it came down to taking advantage of the opportunities in the match. Italy had 3 real chances and came up empty while Korea went 2 for 3 in the latter stages for the upset of the decade. Guess what? The Korean team(10 out of 11) are devout Christians and Ahns wife did a 30 day fast before the Cup, maybe it is just a matter of faith and destiny? When was the last time the Italians went to confession, I wonder. Philosophy aside, the Koreans may have been outclassed- but the Italians were outplayed. The main factor for the Koreans was there fitness level, can anyone disagree? If the Koreans beat Spain than it will be destiny!

Well if it's destiny we're in for a repeat of 1966.

Italy 0-1 North Korea
Portugal 3-2 North Korea

I expect a similar scoreline in the next game. Spain will push through, but just.

I think this is a potentially dangerous discussion. I don't believe it's about destiny, but I do remember feeling that the Korean team seemed blessed, because the odds were against them yet they triumphed.

Italy was obviously the more skilled team, while the Koreans were playing it a little too safely, always passing the ball too slow, in time for their opponents to take their positions. The Italians, I observed, were more willing to take risks and were more aggressive in their approach. I guess a little too aggressive, judging by the number of yellow cards they racked up among themselves. And, contrary to your opinion, I think the Italians were just as fit as the Koreans.

Still, this little Korean team pushed through and managed to get into the quarter-finals, and that's why I think they are blessed. Though I'm not quite so sure about the destiny bit.

foray

Yertle, North Korea is a different country. Would you have equated East and West German teams when they were divided? Plus Portugal was eliminated by Korea already so I think your definition of Korea's destiny is not accurate. I think the Spain match will define my meaning, say if Korea comes back as with US and Italy to win. Come on, before the cup started nobody gave Korea any mention or chance where's the props.

Foray, I agree with your assessment of Korea being blessed and that works with my ideas of destiny and being blessed towards victory. Especially with Ahn coming to the forefront as a team leader(spiritually as well) and rectifying his missed PK with golden winner. I however disagree with your thoughts about Italian fitness and strategy. In the overtime it was apparent that Korea had the fresher legs and the majority of attack was on their side. The Italians played for PK's towards the end and bunkered defense sending only three forward for set plays while having sent 5 before score. Most of my soccer friends agree that Italy played too conservative and tried to protect 1-0 instead of more offense. As far as your opinion about italy's yellow cards as evidence of aggressive play, it was due more to their typical style of elbows, severe shirt pulling and dives.

If Korea beats Spain, what can we really say but destined because of the extreme odds, luck can only go so far.

Points noted, bellvue! Maybe the italians weren't feeling all that great cos of their coach's 'social restrictions' for them :D

I think yertle was referring to the 1966 match when North Korea beat Italy.

foray

Back
Top Bottom