Player of tournament - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2002, 07:38 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by brettig

Seaman was slagged off for making one mistake too. I think its notable that the two most costly goalkeeping errors of the cup- Seaman's v Brazil and Kahn's last night, both came right after both hand suffered injuries to areas that wouldve been crucial in their efforts to save- Seaman's back and Kahn's hand.
If you asked Seaman about Ronaldinho's goal, I don't think he'd use his back injury as an excuse--he'd just say he misread the shot.

Old 07-01-2002, 07:43 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by follower

I think you guys are loosing something here...there was another one. Remember?

Brasil 2 x 0 Germany

You know what we mean. Once Brazil got the first one so late in the match, Germany had to push more attackers up, leaving them more vulnerable in defense.

Quote:

Think about that one. It was not Kahn´s fault. It was nobody´s fault. It was a result of creativity and talent and 3 men working together...Kleberson, Rivaldo and Ronaldo.

Right?
I agree--there wasn't much Kahn could have done about the second goal.

Old 07-01-2002, 07:58 AM   #48
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cloudimani
it seems its the ones who dont know much about the game that are hopping all over him.
If you're going to bring mistakes into it, Ronaldo missed 2 excellent chances 1st half, so it shouldnt be him either.
1. I am not hopping on Khan
I might be in a moment though if I should get sufficiently pissed off
2. I enjoyed the way you threw that "dont know much about the game in there"
thumbs up
3. unfair it may be, but that is the difference between a goalkeeper and an attacker
an attacker is allowed a few mistakes as long as he scores enough goals
a keeper isn't allowed 10 great saves (though Kahn didn't make 10 great saves yesterday) and then mess up a easy shot
and I'm not just making this up
every goalkeeper (even the ones that do know a bit about the game) will tell you the same thing
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-02-2002, 05:39 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:43 PM
i will still go for Kahn because he saved more goals which ordinary goal keeper would have not saved than goals Ronaldo scoring which ordinary striker would have not.. about the miss, he probably just let one in while ronaldo missed 3-4 which ordinary striker would have put in the net..RONALDO is a CLOSE
second
Old 07-02-2002, 07:36 AM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Am I the first?

Despite what he said the day before the final match I would like to say congrats to Olliver Kahn, he´s a great goalkeeper, no doubt.

You know, Ollie could learn something with Bono...When asked by a poor boy living in the slums of Rio what he, Bono, didn´t have that he would like to have he answered the boy..."I think, uh... humility".

Old 07-02-2002, 09:18 AM   #51
Acrobat

I think too much is made of Kahn's comments before the final, there's always some banter before a big game, its just posturing really. I doubt if the Brazilians are totally innocent of that given they were acting like they had already won the cup before the final.

It could be said that trying to teach footballer's humility is akin to teaching supermodels modesty.
Away from the game though its a different matter, Kahn seems like a really nice and down-to-earth guy.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:52 AM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Interestingly enough, the German guy I sat next to at the pub watching the Cup said that Kahn isn't NOT such a nice guy. Not that I'm assuming they're personal friends, but apparently that was his impression having lived in his home country and following the sport.

But whatever...he's definitely a good goalie. Shame about the mistakes in the game, but he shouldn't feel too bad...if not for him, the team would not have BEEN in that game.

Old 07-02-2002, 10:56 AM   #53
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
But whatever...he's definitely a good goalie. Shame about the mistakes in the game, but he shouldn't feel too bad...if not for him, the team would not have BEEN in that game.
And that's the reason why he so deserved the prize. IMHO

Old 07-02-2002, 10:59 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

belated..congratulations follower ..so how did u party..is the party still on..
Old 07-02-2002, 11:20 AM   #55
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
belated..congratulations follower ..so how did u party..is the party still on..
Yup, always my friend

In fact our Seleção landed in Brasilía, our capital, a few hours ago, and they paraded heading to Planalto, the presidential palace. Lots of people celebrating all the way from the airport to Planalto.

Now they are on their way to Rio, they are supposed to arrive there in a few minutes. After Rio they go to São Paulo and then they are free to come back to their families. Everything has been shown live by Brazilian TV.

The problem is...I'm still at work, damnit

Btw, thanks AcrobatMan from Mars
Old 07-02-2002, 11:23 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

Btw, thanks AcrobatMan from Mars
Unfortunately our planet didnt get any representation in ur FIFA world cup else we would have beaten BRAZIL 5-0... Just kidding..
Well done Brazil Well done the R's
Old 07-02-2002, 11:37 AM   #57
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Interestingly enough, the German guy I sat next to at the pub watching the Cup said that Kahn isn't NOT such a nice guy. Not that I'm assuming they're personal friends, but apparently that was his impression having lived in his home country and following the sport.
Er well I'm in Germany atm and I'm going on all the times I've seen him on tv lately, he's always come across v. well, and I think the Bayern and Germany fans I'm staying with would most likely agree with me.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:42 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by cloudimani

Er well I'm in Germany atm and I'm going on all the times I've seen him on tv lately, he's always come across v. well, and I think the Bayern and Germany fans I'm staying with would most likely agree with me.
Like I said...I don't know the guy personally. I do know that I wouldn't want to be a striker trying to get a ball past him though.

Old 07-02-2002, 12:14 PM   #59
Refugee

Quote:

Now they are on their way to Rio, they are supposed to arrive there in a few minutes. After Rio they go to São Paulo and then they are free to come back to their families. Everything has been shown live by Brazilian TV.
LOL at my own post...that WAS the original plan...but they are STILL in Brasília, 4 hours after their arrival...more than 150 mil on the streets, nobody feels the need to be in a hurry...poor guys, they must be very tired, but all we can see are smiles in their faces. A nice thing to see...and more half million are waiting for them in Rio...and another half million in São Paulo.

Old 07-02-2002, 12:26 PM   #60
Refugee

Local Time: 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

If you asked Seaman about Ronaldinho's goal, I don't think he'd use his back injury as an excuse--he'd just say he misread the shot.
I don't think any of them Seaman and less Olli Kahn are using anything as excuse.

In any case, there is BIG diference between Olli Kahn and Seaman...