Player of tournament - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2002, 09:51 AM   #31
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
at least it's not Kahn
he should have hold on to Rinaldo's shot that caused the first goal
ah jesus come on. ONE mistake. one bloody mistake is all he made in the whole tournament. Of course he deserves to be at least in the top two or three players of the world cup. He is an absolutely fantastic goalie, and i hope People dont turn around now, and forget everything hes done , because hes a fantastic goalie.

and im irish!

Old 06-30-2002, 11:07 AM   #32
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:11 AM
ah jesus come on blah, blah, blah
when you choke in the final you are not the best player of the tournament
period

I never said he wasn't the second best or whatever (though I don't think so)

and I'm not even Irish nor Portugese (also has got nothing to do with it)
so there

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-30-2002, 11:16 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:11 PM
Well if the final game has any bearing, I'd have to amend Kahn to Ronaldo.

Old 06-30-2002, 01:30 PM   #34
Acrobat

hahaha choked, thats a good one!!

cuz you ARE jokin right??

NO??

did you just watch that ONE goal??
cuz he made, as always some exceptional saves in the first half.

and of course the mistake he made had NOTHING to do with the fact that the pitch was greasy as hell, and all the players were slippin and slidin (down!) on it??

theres no way he CHOKED.

ireland+portugal???wtf??lost ya there!!
unless youre talkin bout us and portugal qualifying for the world cup and the dutch,well.....,not.

i would never, ever be so low as to bring that up!!!!!! shit.....too late....
Old 06-30-2002, 01:41 PM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 05:11 PM
Of course Ronaldo is the player of the tournament, a forward can fail several times, and still, being succesfull in some, be considered the best, a goal keeper can't do a mistake, it goes to the score.
Olli Kahn remains the best goalkeeper in the world, one play don't take that away, and he is best, not only for what he did in the 6 games prior to the final, he is the best for his performances not only with Germany but also with Bayern Munich. He almost singlehandled won the champions league 2 years ago for Bayern, and Germany would have never reached the final without him.
Attached Thumbnails
kahncollage.jpg  
Old 06-30-2002, 01:52 PM   #36
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by rafmed
Of course Ronaldo is the player of the tournament, a forward can fail several times, and still, being succesfull in some, be considered the best, a goal keeper can't do a mistake, it goes to the score.
Olli Kahn remains the best goalkeeper in the world, one play don't take that away, and he is best, not only for what he did in the 6 games prior to the final, he is the best for his performances not only with Germany but also with Bayern Munich. He almost singlehandled won the champions league 2 years ago for Bayern, and Germany would have never reached the final without him.

i completely agree. i really have a lot of respect for kahn, im not sure ive ever seen a goalie like him..i just hope he isnt remembered in this tournament as the guy-who-made-a-big-mistake-in-the-final,or even The Guy Who Was Great Until The Final But Then Choked/Messed Up/Whatever.

on a lighter note, im delighted that only 2 R's got the ball past Kahn........Ronaldo and......ROBBIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

what an achievement!
Old 06-30-2002, 07:36 PM   #37
Refugee

I'd also like to change my nomination from Khan to Ronaldo.

I think we saw Khan's weakness in the final. He is a very good shot-stopper and is good at punching, but his weakness is clearly his catching - that's why he opts to punch it all the time. Anyway, it came to handling Rivaldo's shot which was not one he could safely punch... and he spilled it. Of course, he had injured his finger, but there are nine other fingers on a human being so that shouldn't be an excuse.

I'm glad Brazil won anyway as they were clearly the best team in the tournament.
Old 06-30-2002, 09:26 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by bullet the blue sky
I'd also like to change my nomination from Khan to Ronaldo.

I think we saw Khan's weakness in the final. He is a very good shot-stopper and is good at punching, but his weakness is clearly his catching - that's why he opts to punch it all the time. Anyway, it came to handling Rivaldo's shot which was not one he could safely punch... and he spilled it. Of course, he had injured his finger, but there are nine other fingers on a human being so that shouldn't be an excuse.

I'm glad Brazil won anyway as they were clearly the best team in the tournament.
Yeah, it was a fairly hard shot, but *I* could have caught that shot. I don't think it has anything to do with Kahn's hands failing him--I think he just lost his concentration for a split second.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:28 AM   #39
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by ccolhandlaura
and of course the mistake he made had NOTHING to do with the fact that the pitch was greasy as hell, and all the players were slippin and slidin (down!) on it??
since that ball never touched the ground I indeed do guess it has nothing to do with a greasy pitch
if he didn't choke then it still was a horrible mistake

keepers aren't allowed horrible mistakes
especially in the final (newspaper here headlines: "mistake Kahn decides final")

7 matches, 8 goals
who should be recognized as best player of this tournament?
you do the math
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-01-2002, 06:09 AM   #40
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
since that ball never touched the ground I indeed do guess it has nothing to do with a greasy pitch
if he didn't choke then it still was a horrible mistake

keepers aren't allowed horrible mistakes
especially in the final (newspaper here headlines: "mistake Kahn decides final")

7 matches, 8 goals
who should be recognized as best player of this tournament?
you do the math
but the fact that the ball was ROLLING AROUND on the greasy pitch would have made it very slippy no????????!!!!!!!!THAT was my point.

im not disputing that Ronaldo was joint or even best player of the tournament, im disputing that just because kahn made one, albeit very bad, mistake, he is being slagged off??

oh yeah, im SURE you could have caught it.......in your garden.
How can you underestimate the pressure of a world cup final??

Its like when beckham got sent off four years ago. It was a stupid mistake. if he had have missed the penalty against argentina this year the hall he got would have happened all over again!! i hope this doesnt happen to Kahn. and Bullet, before you think im attacking your country again, im just using it as a n example. I could have used Baggio missin the penalty in 94, etc,etc, but we didnt see the media reaction at first hand over here.

Ps who SAVED at least 8 or 9 definate-goals-if-it-hadnt-have-been-for-Kahn?????????????
Old 07-01-2002, 06:28 AM   #41
you are what you is

I have done a lot of goalkeeping myself
Kahn didn't mess up that ball because the ball was slippy, he didn't get his body behind the ball the right way (the ball didn't slip out of his hands, it bounced off from his body)
a fault a keeper shouldn't be making at that level
and one that does disqualify him from being the best player in the tournament when he makes that mistake in the final
Kahn has got fine reflexes, is great at positioning himself, but I have got to agree with Bullet that he isn't the greatest in catching balls

I never dismissed Kahn qualities
I still don't think a goalkeeper can make such a mistake in the final and still be the best player of the tournament
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-01-2002, 06:53 AM   #42
New Yorker

Quote:

just because kahn made one, albeit very bad, mistake, he is being slagged off??
Seaman was slagged off for making one mistake too. I think its notable that the two most costly goalkeeping errors of the cup- Seaman's v Brazil and Kahn's last night, both came right after both hand suffered injuries to areas that wouldve been crucial in their efforts to save- Seaman's back and Kahn's hand.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:59 AM   #43
Acrobat

Quote:
god theres so many...

DAMIEN DUFF
SHAY GIVEN
ROBBIE KEANE
STEVE FINNAN
STEVE STAUNTON
MATT HOLLAND
MARK KINSELLA
GARY KELLY
NIALL QUINN

AND THE REST OF THE BOYS IN GREEN!!
Old 07-01-2002, 07:13 AM   #44
Acrobat

I think you're being totally unfair to Kahn, ok he made a mistake, but he wouldnt have been in that position if Hamann hadn't been messing about with the ball in defence. Plus Kahn had had his hand trod on by a Brazilian player earlier in the match (cant remeber which) Kahn made numerous saves in the first half to keep Germany in contention, it seems its the ones who dont know much about the game that are hopping all over him.
If you're going to bring mistakes into it, Ronaldo missed 2 excellent chances 1st half, so it shouldnt be him either.

My nominations would be Kahn, Ronaldo, Ronaldihno (def. not Rivaldo, I dont think he had a very good tournament at all, I even forgot at times that he was playing in the final...and he disgraced himself on numerous occasions)

Most promising: Damian Duff, Coly (Senegal). not many actually, this isnt a world cup that will live long in the memory for reasons other than bad refereeing and the poor performance of the big teams
Old 07-01-2002, 07:37 AM   #45
Refugee

Local Time: 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloudimani
I think you're being totally unfair to Kahn, ok he made a mistake
I think you guys are loosing something here...there was another one. Remember?

Brasil 2 x 0 Germany

Think about that one. It was not Kahns fault. It was nobodys fault. It was a result of creativity and talent and 3 men working together...Kleberson, Rivaldo and Ronaldo.

Right?