PLANET OF THE APES- *ENDING SPOILER*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hermes

Acrobat
Ok, I read a thread in a nother forum concerning PLANET OF THE APES. Since there is some debate ast o whether the thread belongs there or not, I decided not to respond there and instead respond here where it belongs.

I'm responding in particular to the people who said the ending made no sense. It's a complaint I keep hearing and it bugs the hell out of me, because it seems like people didn't pay attention at all to the film.

The reason he returns to Earth adn the APES have already taken over is this...

Remeber the ship where the monkeys escaped in the first place? The Apes talk of it being there for thousands of years. You see, just like Wahlberg and the Chimp, the ship slipped through time, thousands of years before they did.

The monkeys took over.

When Wahlberg goes back in time, he doesn't go back thousands of years, he goes back a few hundred years. That's why the monkeys are in charge.

Jeesh. It makes sense, albeit in the skewed version of sense that the movie has. Though I've been told this is how the book ends as well.

Now why is it that later the monkeys seem to have less civilization than before?

Let's not forget the originals Anti-Nuclear stance and how this version seemed to have a pretty post apocalyptic landscape as well. Perhaps something to be explained in the sequal.

There are lots of things that play fast and loose with logic in the movie. Lots of things that are, well convienient at best.

But none of it really had an impact on me while I watched it. I let suspension of dibelief take over. I mean c'mon, it's a movie about talking Apes and it's alot of fun.

I think it was interesting how the original's loud and clear Anti-Nuclear message is changed to a subtle warning of the dangers of genetic engineering in this new version.

OH, and Tim Roth as the main villian was excellent.

------------------
Steve
Same Old Story-

pub crawler will kill u now.......

U SHOULDNT TELL PEOPLE ABOUT A FILM THEY HAVE YET TO GO SEE, INCLUDING MOI!!!!!!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

mind u, I only skipped alla what ya said.........

IT SAYS RIGHT ON The DAMN THING

ENDING SPOILER

besides, most people skip what I have to say anyways...

------------------
Steve
Same Old Story-

[This message has been edited by hermes (edited 07-31-2001).]

Originally posted by hermes:

I'm responding in particular to the people who said the ending made no sense. It's a complaint I keep hearing and it bugs the hell out of me, because it seems like people didn't pay attention at all to the film.

The reason he returns to Earth adn the APES have already taken over is this...

Remeber the ship where the monkeys escaped in the first place? The Apes talk of it being there for thousands of years. You see, just like Wahlberg and the Chimp, the ship slipped through time, thousands of years before they did.

The monkeys took over.

When Wahlberg goes back in time, he doesn't go back thousands of years, he goes back a few hundred years. That's why the monkeys are in charge.

Jeesh. It makes sense, albeit in the skewed version of sense that the movie has. Though I've been told this is how the book ends as well.

Now why is it that later the monkeys seem to have less civilization than before?

OK I did pay close attention, so let me debunk your theory in 2 ways:
A. The planet Wahlberg and the ship crash on is NOT Earth in the future. If you pay attention you will notice 2 moons in one night shot.

B. Though the apes say the ruins have been there for 1000's of years, the beginning of the movie states the year is 2029, and the clock in the pod sttes that the year is 2400 and some thing, and then when Marky mark takes off, it goes backwards as he travels thru the electric storm to 2029.

I think Burton is just F'ing with the audience.

Also did you notice the error with pod names? The chimp Pericles takes off in "Alpha" pod, Marky Mark (sans Funky Bunch) follows in "Delta" Pod.
Marky then returns in the chimp's pod, whose navigation screen reads "Delta Pod".

Saw it last night, and a few comments...

* Tim Burton has several actors that he uses in his films, and the great Glenn Shaddix is one of them. (Troy McClure voice on) You know him from his roles as Otho in Beetlejuice and the crazy preacher in Heathers. (Troy McClure voice off) His casting alone gives the movie a partial credit, just like answering 'Pepsi' (wow, that's two Simpsons references in one paragraph...I'm obsessed).

* May as well go for a third...the Simpsons 'Planet of the Apes' musical is one of the funniest things ever on the show. Compared to that, this movie had no chance.

* So let me get this straight...the monkeys from the spaceship somehow overthrew the humans? How did this Simos suddenly become so powerful? I don't care how well-trained a monkey is, he can't make an evolutionary jump just like that. Apes don't actually have the vocal ability to form human words..but the makeup was cool! Yay summer movies!

* Tim Roth as Thade didn't impress me much. I had heard that he might snag an Oscar nomination for the role, but his performance was basically a half-hour of snarling to cover up his accent. Bonham Carter, though, was as British as ever...what gives? Roth's makeup made him look like a simian version of Quark from Deep Space Nine, so it was hard to take him seriously.

* I am shocked and appalled that Kris Kristofferson (of all people) did not play an ape. I mean, that's just a natural.

* Funniest part of the movie was the fact that David Warner as an ape looks only marginally different from David Warner the human.

* Estella Warren is one fine piece of ace. She is also a fine actress; witness her incredible range of 'staring' all the way to 'staring lustily.' OSCAR! OSCAR!

* If I'm ever trapped on a bizarre planet where apes are the dominant species, I would be shitting myself and having a nervous breakdown. Not Marky Mark, though. Nothing seems to faze this guy. Just another day at the office for a member of the ever-resourceful U.S. military.

* Wahlberg: "If you trust me, I'll show you something that will change your world forever."

Bonham Carter: "Oh man, it's only a spaceship? Geez, I expected more from Dirk Diggler."

* The much-vaunted surprise ending was pretty weak. They could've just flashed up a big graphic that read 'THERE WILL BE A SEQUEL' and the same effect would've been achieved. I guess Thade could be renamed APEraham Lincoln! (rim shot)

Overall, the film gets about a 6/10. Could've used more apes.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by PopFly (edited 08-01-2001).]

Originally posted by Hewson:
However you and my sister just opened my eyes to a plausible explanation for the twist at the end. I had missed that Aperaham lincoln was Thade. i was too busy looking at the statue and didn't read the whole inscription. My sister saw it last night and told me it was Thade, and you confirmed it.
If so, there is a possiblefarfetched) explanation: At movie's end, Thade is last seen cowering under a console on the bridge of the ship, trapped behind the glass door.(as opposed to Behind the Green Door). So the only way the twist makes sense is that somehow Thade is later able to start the ship (which has no fuel and is in ruins) or maybe escape in another pod (beta pod or gamma pod or pea pod), travel back thru time further than Marky Mark to Earth, lead an ape revolution and when Marky Mark returns home, he is greeted by a new banana-craving funky bunch.[/B]

I thought the ending was that Wahlberg that indeed traveled into time, but into the FUTURE of the ape planet, or into another parallel universe.

------------------
"Are you saying Boo, or are you saying Boo-urns?"
"Actually, I was saying Boo-ono."

Originally posted by PopFly:

* The much-vaunted surprise ending was pretty weak. They could've just flashed up a big graphic that read 'THERE WILL BE A SEQUEL' and the same effect would've been achieved. I guess Thade could be renamed APEraham Lincoln! (rim shot)
Hey popfly...I used the Aperaham lincoln joke last night, we must have similar senses of humor(not sure if thats a good thing.)

However you and my sister just opened my eyes to a plausible explanation for the twist at the end. I had missed that Aperaham lincoln was Thade. i was too busy looking at the statue and didn't read the whole inscription. My sister saw it last night and told me it was Thade, and you confirmed it.
If so, there is a possiblefarfetched) explanation: At movie's end, Thade is last seen cowering under a console on the bridge of the ship, trapped behind the glass door.(as opposed to Behind the Green Door). So the only way the twist makes sense is that somehow Thade is later able to start the ship (which has no fuel and is in ruins) or maybe escape in another pod (beta pod or gamma pod or pea pod), travel back thru time further than Marky Mark to Earth, lead an ape revolution and when Marky Mark returns home, he is greeted by a new banana-craving funky bunch.
I bet the sequel starts with some explanation along those lines.

As for estella Warren...did anyone see the special on FoxTV last thurs she hosted? She says when she was aked to do the role she said "Oh Tim Burton, of course!"..I was like...If they aske her to do a monostat commercial she should jump at the chance. she was bad.

"Dr Zaius, Dr Zaius, c'mon rock me Dr Zaius!"

Originally posted by PopFly:
I thought the ending was that Wahlberg that indeed traveled into time, but into the FUTURE of the ape planet, or into another parallel universe.
Well the display in Wahlbeerg's space pod at the end shows the years counting backwards as he goes into the electrical storm, so he goes back to the original time he started at.

Back
Top Bottom