Plane crash this morning - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #16
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 08:39 AM
I saw this early on CNN. Very very sad.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:23 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
It's funny, because commercial air travel is safer than driving to the supermarket.
I know. Thats what I have to keep telling myself everytime I fly.

I always think I want to drive instead of fly but then I hear stories like one my friend just told me about her landlord and his wife. They were driving to Wisconsin and got into a car crash with a drunk driver and they both died. They were in their 70's. So sad.

I wonder how many people die in car accidents a day in North America?

Old 08-27-2006, 08:50 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:09 PM
Sorry to bring you the bad news but over 100 people die a day in car accidents in the US. Usually over 40,000 people a year.

So that's like between 100 and 130 jumbo jet plane crashes. And the US hasn't had a major plane crash since November of 2001 with more fatalities than this one.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #19
Refugee

^ thats crazy.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:12 PM   #20
Refugee

Now im scared to go into a car too

I guess I gotta start walking nooo
Old 08-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
It's a tiny airport, I don't understand how a mistake like this could have been made.
It is really sad to say, but it sounds like pilot error.

I am not sure if this is a factor in Lexington, but last year, the Federal Government cut funding to the FAA. One of the places they looked to cut was Air Traffic Control towers.

Some airports were going to get cut completely, while others would have reduced hours. Lexington would most likely have been on this list.

Aircraft/airline crashes make me sick. I have had this on my mind all day.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:37 PM   #22
Refugee

It isnt so much of a pilot error...It's communication breakdown and I guess they didnt tell the pilots soon enough to go on the longer landing strip, im waiting for tomorrow to see what they have..
Old 08-27-2006, 09:39 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by tpsglick2424
It isnt so much of a pilot error...It's communication breakdown and I guess they didnt tell the pilots soon enough to go on the longer landing strip, im waiting for tomorrow to see what they have..

...and who is to blame for the communication breakdown in the cockpit?
Old 08-27-2006, 09:40 PM   #24
Refugee

Old 08-27-2006, 09:41 PM   #25
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

...and who is to blame for the communication breakdown in the cockpit?
Air traffic control...
Old 08-27-2006, 10:06 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

I just looked at some pictures of the Lexington airport and how the runways are setup. It looks like you have to cross the the end of the shorter general aviation runway before you get to the longer MAIN runway. I believe they are both designated with a number in the 20s (shorter is 22 and longer is 28).

My theory, without additional information, is that the tower communicated to him that he is to taxi and was given permission to take off on 28 (L or R), and the captain taxied to 22 and turned to take his takeoff.

I cannot tell from the photos, but the runways and taxi ways are usually designated both on the runway as well as with yellow signage. Sometimes these signs are illuminated...sometimes they are not (in smaller airports like Lexington).

Like I said before, I fear the blame for this incident will fall back on the pilot.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:19 PM   #27
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
I just looked at some pictures of the Lexington airport and how the runways are setup. It looks like you have to cross the the end of the shorter general aviation runway before you get to the longer MAIN runway. I believe they are both designated with a number in the 20s (shorter is 22 and longer is 28).

My theory, without additional information, is that the tower communicated to him that he is to taxi and was given permission to take off on 28 (L or R), and the captain taxied to 22 and turned to take his takeoff.

I cannot tell from the photos, but the runways and taxi ways are usually designated both on the runway as well as with yellow signage. Sometimes these signs are illuminated...sometimes they are not (in smaller airports like Lexington).

Like I said before, I fear the blame for this incident will fall back on the pilot.
You could be very right, I'm just waiting until they release which they said will be soon, the recorder...I really want to know this...They had also said that the airports lights landing lights were off and messed up...I'm not that good in talking about the airport runways and how it is worked but I did get your theory and you could be 100% right...I think it has to do with the runways because a comair plane can't fly off a small strip like that without screwing up big time..
Old 08-27-2006, 10:49 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 11:39 AM
If it is indeed human error that led to this tragic accident, it is truly sad because it could have been prevented.

The plane that was involved in the accident today is one of my favorite planes to fly in. When I used to travel all the time for work, that was the plane I would fly because I would go to small towns. It is a great plane and comfortable. We called it the "rock star jet".
Old 08-27-2006, 11:07 PM   #29
Refugee

This could of definently been prevented, but also the news and comair just guessed that it was reason why the plane failed to fly..Yes Air traffic controlled said it was on the wrong runway but there could of been another reason why it went down...heavy suitcases? Heavy people (no that wasnt a joke)? You just dont know what really happend until the investigaters tell us and we hear the recorder...
Old 08-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:39 AM
I'll say a prayer for the families and the poor people that were injured.