Placebo - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2004, 12:55 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I know you recommended the greatest hits but I'm actually not a big fan of greatest hits records. With most artists I tend to prefer the songs that aren't hits and like to get to know records the way the artist intended them to be listened to.
I totally respect that.

I'd recommend starting with their most recent album, Sleeping With Ghosts. I always like to start off with the most recent thing and then work my way backward (or go all the way back to the beginning) later if I decide I really like an artist.

So yeah, I'd get that one. It's the one mofo listened to first, and now he owns all their albums, so I think it's a good recommendation. Besides Sleeping With Ghosts, I'd say Without You I'm Nothing is also a good introduction to the band.

Old 12-20-2004, 12:58 PM   #17
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl

So yeah, I'd get that one. It's the one mofo listened to first, and now he owns all their albums, so I think it's a good recommendation.
Totally true. I LOVE that album. It's definitely still my favorite, check it out.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:15 PM   #18
She's the One

Local Time: 07:50 AM
Apparently I need to go back to Fingerprintz this week.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:28 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

I like the cover of Sleeping with Ghosts a lot. I've had it in my hands a few times.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:31 PM   #20
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
I like the cover of Sleeping with Ghosts a lot. I've had it in my hands a few times.
Perv
Old 12-20-2004, 01:49 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I like that album cover a lot too. The cover of Without You I'm Nothing is cool as well.

FYI: There are two versions of Sleeping With Ghosts. One is just the album, the other is a double CD edition with a bonus disc of covers. Just thought you might want to know about that so you can get whichever one you want.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:23 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Ok, I just bought it at a store that was having a close out sale and am listening to it now. I don't suppose I'm the first genius to make the Jane's Addiction comparison, am I?

edited to say: not to reduce them to a comparison to someone else but in case martha's still deciding, I thought I'd throw that in there
Old 12-20-2004, 09:44 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I don't think I've ever heard them compared to Jane's Addiction! And the thought never crossed my mind. Then again, I'm only familiar with JA singles and not albums.

Hope you enjoyed the album at least a little bit on the first go round. Any songs that caught your attention?
Old 12-21-2004, 05:26 PM   #24
She's the One

Local Time: 07:50 AM
Quote:
Ok, I just bought it at a store that was having a close out sale and am listening to it now. I don't suppose I'm the first genius to make the Jane's Addiction comparison, am I?

edited to say: not to reduce them to a comparison to someone else but in case martha's still deciding, I thought I'd throw that in there
Thank you dear! That does help. Maybe I'll go back over there tomorrow after my oil change and trip to Trader Joe's. There's a Dylan album I put back that I should probably pick up too.

Was that tmi?
Old 12-21-2004, 07:02 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
I don't think I've ever heard them compared to Jane's Addiction! And the thought never crossed my mind. Then again, I'm only familiar with JA singles and not albums.

Hope you enjoyed the album at least a little bit on the first go round. Any songs that caught your attention?
Maybe it's just the singer's voice that reminds me of Perry Farrell.

I've now listened to it about three times and I think I like it. I don't love it, though I love the title song. I think I have the same problem with it that I have with Brit techno or whatever you call it in general, which is that I think the music is interesting but a little bit ...I don't know the right word...sterile? Not enough heart and soul. I hope that isn't too harsh because I do like it and I've liked it more with each listen so I think maybe you're right--it's a grower. The title song, though, has already made it on to a mix I'm making for someone.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:03 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Was that tmi?
I care about your oil changes, martha.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:51 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Update: I'm now really digging The Bitter End.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:52 PM   #28
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Update: I'm now really digging The Bitter End.
As well you should!

Old 12-22-2004, 03:33 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Glad you don't hate it! Sleeping With Ghosts and The Bitter End are both terrific songs. The Bitter End is especially good turned up loud in the car, as is Second Sight. I'd also give another listen to Special Needs, a favorite around interference. Protect Me From What I Want is a mofo favorite as well, and I'm a fan of Centrefolds, which took forever to grow on me, but now I love it.

Dang, I may have to listen to this tonight.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:12 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, I've already tuned into Special Needs and like it a lot. Protect Me from What I Want is actually a song I'm having trouble getting into, but it's funny how often the songs I like right away on a record are the ones that are the most accessible and then it's the songs I think I don't like that end up growing on me and becoming favorites (case in point, Until the End of the World was my least favorite song on AB for months and then one day it clicked and now it's in my top 5 all time favorite U2 songs). Some songs just take more time to reveal themselves. I'm definitely enjoying getting to know this record.