PJ Harvey is back -- White Chalk out 9/25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
I know some of you must have seen her open on Elevation tour. Great artist.

New record coming soon:

August 16, 2007
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PJ HARVEY: WHITE CHALK OUT SEPTEMBER 25
LONDON & BRISTOL ONE-OFF SHOWS CONFIRMED

PJ Harvey will release her eighth studio album, White Chalk, September 25th on Island Records.

Described by the NME as "Sparse sounds, spine-tingling pianos and vocals that bring a tear to the eye-in a good way," White Chalk is a departure from previous PJ Harvey studio albums in that it was written on piano and does not feature her trademark electric guitar. White Chalk was produced by PJ Harvey with Flood and John Parish, the three of whom previously worked together on the GRAMMY-nominated To Bring You My Love and Is This Desire?, and includes musical contributions from Harvey's long time associate Eric Drew Feldman, and Jim White from The Dirty Three.

PJ Harvey debuted four tracks from White Chalk at a sold out performance at the Manchester International Festival on July 7th and has confirmed two other UK one-off dates prior to coincide with record's release: September 24th at Bristol's Colston Hall and a long since sold-out show on September 29th at London's Royal Festival Hall, her only confirmed London date this year.

The album will be preceded by the single "When Under Ether," which will be released in the UK September 17th on 7" vinyl and download, and will feature the B-side "Wait," one of Harvey's first ever recordings dating back to 1988.

The track listing for White Chalk is:

1. The Devil
2. Dear Darkness
3. Grow Grow Grow
4. When Under Ether
5. White Chalk
6. Broken Harp
7. Silence
8. To Talk To You
9. The Piano
10. Before Departure
11. The Mountain

Hmm. No electric guitar?

Hmm.

I thought Uh Huh Her was a huge step down from Stories..., and I don't know if sparse is quite the answer. We'll see. She certainly hasn't made anything bad to date.

Yeah, loved her opening for U2, she certainly didn't try to make any new fans, and I loved her even more for it.

I'm very excited about this. I heard a song or the album leaked.
Anyone?

PJ Harvey's one of my favorites. She puts on a great live show, too.

My favorites are "Stories . . ." and "Is This Desire?" :drool:

Can't wait for this to come out! I've lurked here a bit to pick up good music recommendations (sorry), and PJ's Stories.. album has pretty much been my favourite leap of faith. :)

Am also very hopeful of a tour to follow soon, though she better not be coming to town when I'm away..

I'm pretty excited about this. Piano-based Polly should be interesting. I just hope she does a fairly extensive tour. The only chance I ever had to see her, she cancelled and never did a make-up date.

Yes, I'm very excited about this one, :drool: I love piano and I love PJ Harvey; she doesn't have many piano-based songs but I think that the tracks like The River from Is This Desire are goooorgeous. Hopefully she'll make it to Melbourne, too...

I agree that Uh Huh Her wasn't her best though it had some stellar individual tracks. IMO it's her only album which fails as the "album" and doesn't quite come together as a greater whole.

I came across a song she did called "Memphis" about Jeff Buckley. It was a b-side on the "Good Fortune" single. Seriously one of my favorite songs by her. It's just beautiful.

August 30, 2007
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PJ HARVEY CONFIRMS TWO EXCLUSIVE U.S. PERFORMANCES
OCTOBER 10 AT THE BEACON THEATRE IN NEW YORK
OCTOBER 15 AT THE ORPHEUM IN LOS ANGELES
WHITE CHALK OUT SEPTEMBER 25

PJ Harvey has confirmed two exclusive one-off U.S. solo performances to coincide with the release of her eighth studio album, White Chalk, out September 25th on Island Records.

The shows will take place at the Beacon Theatre in New York City on October 10th and The Orpheum in Los Angeles on October 15th and will feature the U.S. live debut of material from White Chalk as well as material spanning PJ Harvey's career.

Tickets for both shows go on-sale on Friday September 7th.

No other U.S. dates are planned at present.

Early reaction to White Chalk from the U.S. press has been phenomenal. ROLLING STONE reacted to first single "When Under Ether" with a four star review, calling it an "incredibly eerie piano ballad" that "bodes extremely well for the rest of White Chalk," while NEW YORK magazine cited White Chalk one of the most anticipated releases of the fall.

White Chalk is a departure from previous PJ Harvey studio albums in that it was written on piano. White Chalk was produced by PJ Harvey with Flood and John Parish, the three of whom previously worked together on the GRAMMY-nominated To Bring You My Love and Is This Desire?, and includes musical contributions from Harvey's long time associate Eric Drew Feldman, and Jim White from The Dirty Three.

I've had this for over 2 weeks, and I'm so disappointed I haven't even been able to write about it.

I admire Polly's determination to confound expectations and try different things, but this album is a real chore to sit through. Almost every song sounds the same. A couple songs like this are okay, but the whole thing is just boring as all hell.

It really pains me to say all this. Music tragedy of the year.

lazarus said:
I've had this for over 2 weeks, and I'm so disappointed I haven't even been able to write about it.

I admire Polly's determination to confound expectations and try different things, but this album is a real chore to sit through. Almost every song sounds the same. A couple songs like this are okay, but the whole thing is just boring as all hell.

have you given it a couple listens? maybe potential to be a grower...

lazarus said:

Yikes.

If the leak for this is still floating around I think it might be in my best interest to give it a listen before I spend the dough.

lazarus said:

The youtube clip Dorian Gray posted was amazing. But then I heard the studio recording of that song and one another song called "Devil" and I can sort of see what you mean. "Grow Grow Grow" isn't as haunting on the recording as it was live, and I can imagine that a whole record that sounds like those two songs might be a bit much. Still, I end up loving just about everything she does and I'm definitely going to pick up White Chalk up when it's released. Maybe it won't be my favorite PJ record but from what I've heard, I think I'll still appreciate it. We'll see. It may be one of those records where I like the idea of it better than the actual record. :shrug:

Pitchfork gave this a 6.8, which is more forgiving than I would like. They appear to respect the artistic choice, but have a mixed feeling about the results--much of what I was saying. They did conclude that depending on your mood, it could be a really powerful listen, or "the longest half hour of your life".

If you want to spend your money on a female musical icon, buy the new Joni Mitchell instead. You won't be disappointed.

Well, I finally got "White Chalk". I can totally see why many people would find it an excruciating chore to sit through; but I love it. True, the individual songs have very little in the way of obvious hooks or catchy choruses and some are nothing more than brittle sketches - but for me the album works incredibly well as a powerful and evocative mood piece. It makes me think of walking through some kind of desolate-yet-beautiful landscape, or a haunted Victorian attic maybe (there's something quite Mrs Rochester about PJ on the cover, as well).

Hey thanks for the heads up, I didn't realise that she was coming to Australia in Feb. Awesome! Damn Ticketek newsletters spamming about every artist except the ones that I'm interested in. Oh wait, there she is, hidden away at the bottom under 'On Sale Soon'. Yeah, bloody tomorrow morning! :madspit:

Yeah it should be great, am so glad that I'll be back from holidays just in time to see her and her stabby-nosed awesomeness.

I haven't bought the new CD yet but the mixed reviews haven't put me off. Less rocky, more atmospheric can still be good..

Saracene said:
PJ is playing in Melbourne next year! :happy:

:hyper: :hyper:

I just picked up my tickets today for the Melbourne concert .. bought them last week online via the pre-sale. Managed to get Row E in the stalls, so I'm pretty chuffed :D

Sooooo looking forward to this!

Back
Top Bottom