PJ Harvey is back -- White Chalk out 9/25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^ true enough, I was thinking the exact same thing today!

I just wanted to get in early, seeing as it's being promoted as a 'one night only' ... though, I too will be keeping my eyes peeled for a second show :)

:dance:

Hm, the pre-sale would explain why I didn't get the closest seats despite the frantic scrambling on Ticketek and Ticketmaster. Still great seats though! Er yeah, I got greedy and bought for Melb as well as Sydney. Flight is only $60 return, how could I resist?

The Sydney show sold out extremely quickly, so perhaps keep an eye on Ticketek as well for news of a second show there if you're keen.

Must admit I'm also a bit surprised at the high ticket prices for this..

Zihua said:

Flight is only $60 return, how could I resist?

really?!!? :hyper: Wow, that's a great deal! I've been known to take advantage of cheapy fares to see shows interstate .. why not?!??! you only live once :D

wow! Well done :up: !! I too, envisage a large black grand piano on stage :wink: I guess this will be because she will be showcasing her new album .. which I STILL haven't got (but will do soon).

I'm a bad fan :shifty:

TranceEnding said:

I've been known to take advantage of cheapy fares to see shows interstate .. why not?!??! you only live once :D

Yep, you do. :)

I've never chased artists interstate before but Jetstar are all but dragging me down there this time..

Saracene said:

Got my ticket! Row H, not too bad. Hopefully there won't be some stupid big piano to block the view. And hopefully PJ will be bringing her Victorian dress, :)

Whoa same row as me, and I think it'll be a great spot. As for what PJ wears, maybe she should start the shows with the Victorian dress in keeping with the current theme but it's sure to get hot under those spotlights.

harvey-pj-live-6500044.jpg

It's her own comfort that I'm concerned about, you understand..

Wow, any video? She looks mad. A cute, happy sort of mad.

Honestly she can roll up to the concert as anything she likes, even go the Pippi Longstocking look if that takes her fancy, as long as she brings the voice.. And maybe the nose. :drool:

I have a heck of a lot of catching up to do in the PJ world, buying the new album would probably be a good start. :reject:

Saracene said:

This one from the same era but a bit, er, scarier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTT5y6d56NQ

The Scarlet Harlot aka Bride of Macphisto?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IJQQFxzYWFc

Well it was sort of around the same time. :) Thanks for the videos.

I'd like to know what drives her emotionally in her songs, where she digs up the inspiration, from personal experiences or other. Or maybe I don't want to know..

Bought the new album today and had a first listen, first impressions are positive. I hadn't heard any of her piano-based songs before so didn't know what to expect, but I enjoy any music that has the feeling of whisking you away to another time & place. The piano work seems to be very simple throughout, haven't yet decided whether this is a good or a bad thing..

Only 6 days to go 'til PJ's Melbourne show ... so excited :D

Just figured out last week that the opening act will be none other than MICK HARVEY (from the Bad Seeds). Wow :hyper:

All ready for Melbourne then? :happy:

PJ was fantastic last night at the Opera House. She seemed so at ease and happy to be there, with plenty of funny banter between her and the audience, Mick, and her "bringer of things" Ian. Everyone seemed to pick up on the positive energy and loved it. And her voice? :heart: I'd only seen clips of PJ Harvey live so wasn't completely sure what to expect but was pretty blown away with what she could deliver even though none of the newer material is of the rockier, force you back in your seat nature.

The only negative of the evening was that the worst serial 'whooper' in the entire audience was sitting right behind me. Fine between songs but otherwise.. grr! I just don't understand that. Anyway he shut up after I had a few words, and then it was all PJ. :)

Anyway here's someone's review page with some more info including a setlist:

PJ Harvey at the Sydney Opera House Feb 15, 2008

I thought Mick Harvey (or Harrison as they announced him - poor guy, he was understandably cut about that) was OK, the highlights of his set were the unreleased PJ songs as you could easily imagine her vocals behind them. Sorry to say but Mick himself has a bit of a cookie-cutter voice. Look, even Wikipedia mentions his singing as an afterthought. :p Sorry Mick...

Anyway.. to Melbourne we go! :hyper:

Thanks for the review!

It's nice that PJ seems to be more at ease with audience banter these days. When I first saw her in 2001 or so she barely spoke at all aside from the occasional "thank you".

And yeah, she's definitely one of the best live singers I've ever seen, :drool:

I posted this in my diary and thought I'd post it here as well:

Just got back from the concert, and what a wonderful concert it was. I've seen PJ five times before and this show was really something special and unique; very different to the sweaty, energetic Festival Hall gig from the previous Uh Huh Her tour. I'm even more in awe of PJ's live powers and vocal versatility, and her ability to reinvent herself. It was also great to see her genuinely relaxed and enjoying herself, she was very chatty throughout the show and her accent was adorable, :)

I got to the venue a bit late and missed half of Mick Harvey's set; I have to say I enjoyed his music much more than his voice which is, um, hardly a thing of beauty. The music was good though, dark and moody and a bit reminiscent of that Bad Seeds band Mick frequents. The double bass was very cool.

Then I went out for a cup of overpriced capuccino and people-watching, which is always fun especially when the public is more on the arty-quirky side and you can spot some interesting outfits. When I got back to my seat the stage was prepared for PJ and looked very atmospheric, with XMas lights draped over the piano and the amp. Polly came onstage dressed in her fabulous 18th-century white dress that I've already seen in the YouTube clips from the tour. For most of the time it was a one-woman show, with PJ switching between guitars, piano, beatbox (?) and autoharp, except for a few songs when Mick Harvey showed up again and accompanied her on the piano.

The set was quite varied and I was pleased to see "Is This Desire?" feature a lot - those songs connect really well with PJ's new material. I really loved the reworked versions of "Down By The Water" and "Big Exit"; the latter was made much darker and unsettling compared to its joyful album counterpat. I thought though that the concert became truly magical and captivating when PJ played her new "White Chalk" material - it just suited the setting so well and made me feel transported to another time and place. She also played a few of her rockier numbers like "Snake" and "Man-Size", but while they were good for shaking up the pace I didn't think they suited this particular show as well.

Once again, I'm kicking myself for not bringing my camera; I'd have loved to have a memento of the concert because, knowing PJ's reluctance to repeat herself, she's not likely to do a show like this again any time soon. And she's not very keen on live DVDs, damn her.

Well, lucky I bought my camera :wink:

2279933308_9e3767b6e3.jpg

P2200790.jpg

P2200815.jpg

What an oustanding concert it was this evening ... and ended with my sis and I bumping into the very lovely, talented Mick Harvey in the foyer (he told us he was desperately looking for his mum :D) and a very funny photo opportunity :D

Back from Melbourne...

Thanks for putting up those concert pics! Must admit that I avoid carrying a camera especially when there are plenty of willing photographers around the net. :shifty: When you say that you & your sis bumped into Mick, was there any stalking and cornering involved? :p And nice to see these performers spending some quality time with their mothers at the gigs. Wouldn't see the Gallagher brothers do that, would you? Probably a good thing?

It was certainly a great concert, am glad that you two (and in fact everyone there) seemed to enjoy it as much as I did. Did you hear the sad sigh at the end when the venue lights came on?

The highlights for me were also the White Chalk songs, and I think that transported is a good word to describe the experience. The album has grown on me quite a bit since my first listen even though I still need to be in a certain mood to fully enjoy it. There's a particular cold haunting quality about it, as much due to PJ's hushed vocals as everything else. In comparison I reckon I could enjoy listening to an album like Stories.. at almost any time and place (eg, desert island).

The other highlight which I must mention was the beautiful Horses in my Dreams, which has been playing in my mind since the Sydney show. I'd already rated it highly but never fully appreciated what a dark, hypnotic, and beautiful song it is until I heard the live version. And then came back to play the album track over and over again.. It's mesmerising. For best effect try listening to it as a late night lullaby..

And yeah you Melburnians sure know how to dress smartly, there was a much bigger change in the dress code than the setlist between Melb & Syd. ;) I felt pretty daggy wearing a silly movie T-shirt of all things but then no-one knows me down that way so there's no harm done, right? :shifty:

Anyway here are some more links including pics and a video if you're interested, these are from the Brisbane show though:

http://bb01.sov.uk.vvhp.net/pjharvey/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=645

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eIUjYuAmCbA

Oh wow Zihua, thanks so much for posting those links ... I was just thinking as I was reading through how much I need a setlist to jog my memory, and lo and behold, someone has listed one (from Brissy?) Really happy now ... I'm terrible for remembering songs, let alone the order of them! That large photo of PJ posted on that forum is just beautiful!!

The concert on Wednesday night was just ... superb :D I so wish I could somehow go back in time and relive it! It was an amazing collection of songs ... but like you, I loved hearing the 'White Chalk' songs especially. I can completely relate to being transported to another place .. it was like going to Planet Polly for the evening :D .. there is something so other-wordly about her performance - and THAT voice. Incredible.

I loved 'Horses in my Dreams' too ... beautiful. I'm so glad that she played it!

Zihua said:

When you say that you & your sis bumped into Mick, was there any stalking and cornering involved? :p

ha! Well, there was certainly no stalking involved .. but maybe a bit of cornering! :wink: We took our time coming out of the theatre, and it was just about empty by the time we left. We were just about to hop on the escalator upstairs and Mick was coming down .. I was so surprised and said to my sis, 'ooh, there's Mick!' and he just stopped and had a brief (and very funny!) chat with us! Great fun :D

The Age gave PJ a glowing review in today's paper, but I had no idea that apparently she had mentioned quitting touring a few years ago, :eyebrow: The whole review was written as if about a comeback from the retirement.

Aw, that "This is the last show I will ever play" remark was just idle chit-chat between songs. :wink: Likewise those playful remarks about playing gigs in Bangkok and Adelaide. As if! :p

That was news to me as well though. Reading about it now it seems that she may have actually said "This is our last show ever" ie. together with that band lineup, and been misquoted. In any case I'm also surprised that The Age reviewer gave it so much focus. Hasn't she toured since that gig in 2004?

As an aside I wonder how many solo performers of able body and voice have genuinely called it quits before, for good? No wonder The Eagles named their most recent tour the Farewell Tour I. ;)

TranceEnding said:

ha! Well, there was certainly no stalking involved .. but maybe a bit of cornering! :wink: We took our time coming out of the theatre, and it was just about empty by the time we left. We were just about to hop on the escalator upstairs and Mick was coming down .. I was so surprised and said to my sis, 'ooh, there's Mick!' and he just stopped and had a brief (and very funny!) chat with us! Great fun :D

Lucky devils, and nice of him to stop for a chat. :) I'd forgotten to mention that since the shows I've been trying to track down the PJ versions (even demos) of those few songs that he played as I've taken a liking to them, especially Slow-Motion-Movie-Star, but no success so far..

Zihua said:
Aw, that "This is the last show I will ever play" remark was just idle chit-chat between songs. :wink: Likewise those playful remarks about playing gigs in Bangkok and Adelaide. As if! :p

I've heard about that too, but the retirement comment The Age referred to came from an interview, not from an onstage remark. I googled around and found this excerpt from November 2004 interview:

IT WAS WITH her usual subtle-as-an-A-bomb aplomb, that British singer-songwriter PJ Harvey dropped this bombshell down the phone line from Canada: "I think I might retire".

If that was it, it still doesn't sound like any kind of definite "announcement". Journalism, :rolleyes:

Oops yeah it does mention an interview. Right there in the first sentence. :reject:

You're right, in any case it's a bit of a flakey reference, not worth a "comeback" angle in an article. PJ was probably just wrung out from an exhausting tour at the time.

Back
Top Bottom