PJ Harvey is back -- White Chalk out 9/25 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #16
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 06:14 AM
August 30, 2007
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PJ HARVEY CONFIRMS TWO EXCLUSIVE U.S. PERFORMANCES
OCTOBER 10 AT THE BEACON THEATRE IN NEW YORK
OCTOBER 15 AT THE ORPHEUM IN LOS ANGELES
WHITE CHALK OUT SEPTEMBER 25

PJ Harvey has confirmed two exclusive one-off U.S. solo performances to coincide with the release of her eighth studio album, White Chalk, out September 25th on Island Records.

The shows will take place at the Beacon Theatre in New York City on October 10th and The Orpheum in Los Angeles on October 15th and will feature the U.S. live debut of material from White Chalk as well as material spanning PJ Harvey's career.

Tickets for both shows go on-sale on Friday September 7th.

No other U.S. dates are planned at present.

Early reaction to White Chalk from the U.S. press has been phenomenal. ROLLING STONE reacted to first single "When Under Ether" with a four star review, calling it an "incredibly eerie piano ballad" that "bodes extremely well for the rest of White Chalk," while NEW YORK magazine cited White Chalk one of the most anticipated releases of the fall.

White Chalk is a departure from previous PJ Harvey studio albums in that it was written on piano. White Chalk was produced by PJ Harvey with Flood and John Parish, the three of whom previously worked together on the GRAMMY-nominated To Bring You My Love and Is This Desire?, and includes musical contributions from Harvey's long time associate Eric Drew Feldman, and Jim White from The Dirty Three.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #17
Refugee

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/f...esprits-libres

man, that clip should dissuade any doubts as to whether or not heading in a more sparse direction is a good idea...
gives me the shivers..

Old 09-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dorian Gray
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/f...esprits-libres

man, that clip should dissuade any doubts as to whether or not heading in a more sparse direction is a good idea...
gives me the shivers..

I love PJ. And I'm more than ready for some new music.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I love PJ. And I'm more than ready for some new music.
I'm tempted to listen to the leak... but I wont. the album is just around the corner... can't wait!
Old 09-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:14 PM
I've had this for over 2 weeks, and I'm so disappointed I haven't even been able to write about it.

I admire Polly's determination to confound expectations and try different things, but this album is a real chore to sit through. Almost every song sounds the same. A couple songs like this are okay, but the whole thing is just boring as all hell.

It really pains me to say all this. Music tragedy of the year.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
I've had this for over 2 weeks, and I'm so disappointed I haven't even been able to write about it.

I admire Polly's determination to confound expectations and try different things, but this album is a real chore to sit through. Almost every song sounds the same. A couple songs like this are okay, but the whole thing is just boring as all hell.

have you given it a couple listens? maybe potential to be a grower...
Old 09-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:14 AM
Quote:

Yikes.

If the leak for this is still floating around I think it might be in my best interest to give it a listen before I spend the dough.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:59 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

One of the music reviewers around here gave it a one-star review. I've seen some ecstatic reviews, as well. It looks like a real divider of an album.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Quote:

The youtube clip Dorian Gray posted was amazing. But then I heard the studio recording of that song and one another song called "Devil" and I can sort of see what you mean. "Grow Grow Grow" isn't as haunting on the recording as it was live, and I can imagine that a whole record that sounds like those two songs might be a bit much. Still, I end up loving just about everything she does and I'm definitely going to pick up White Chalk up when it's released. Maybe it won't be my favorite PJ record but from what I've heard, I think I'll still appreciate it. We'll see. It may be one of those records where I like the idea of it better than the actual record.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:07 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:14 PM
Pitchfork gave this a 6.8, which is more forgiving than I would like. They appear to respect the artistic choice, but have a mixed feeling about the results--much of what I was saying. They did conclude that depending on your mood, it could be a really powerful listen, or "the longest half hour of your life".

If you want to spend your money on a female musical icon, buy the new Joni Mitchell instead. You won't be disappointed.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:49 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well, I finally got "White Chalk". I can totally see why many people would find it an excruciating chore to sit through; but I love it. True, the individual songs have very little in the way of obvious hooks or catchy choruses and some are nothing more than brittle sketches - but for me the album works incredibly well as a powerful and evocative mood piece. It makes me think of walking through some kind of desolate-yet-beautiful landscape, or a haunted Victorian attic maybe (there's something quite Mrs Rochester about PJ on the cover, as well).
Old 11-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

PJ is playing in Melbourne next year! It's going to be a one-woman show at Hamer Hall; the tickets are a bit ouch but I don't care, I'd pay for two if the second show is announced. I'm so excited!
Old 11-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #28
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
I can appreciate the art, but it is far from high rotation right now for me. So much good music this year!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #29
The Fly

Local Time: 05:14 PM
Hey thanks for the heads up, I didn't realise that she was coming to Australia in Feb. Awesome! Damn Ticketek newsletters spamming about every artist except the ones that I'm interested in. Oh wait, there she is, hidden away at the bottom under 'On Sale Soon'. Yeah, bloody tomorrow morning!

Yeah it should be great, am so glad that I'll be back from holidays just in time to see her and her stabby-nosed awesomeness.

I haven't bought the new CD yet but the mixed reviews haven't put me off. Less rocky, more atmospheric can still be good..
Old 11-12-2007, 06:05 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
PJ is playing in Melbourne next year!

I just picked up my tickets today for the Melbourne concert .. bought them last week online via the pre-sale. Managed to get Row E in the stalls, so I'm pretty chuffed

Sooooo looking forward to this!