Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The more I talk about this movie with my friends, the more disappointed I get about it. It had the potential to be really great but just fizzled.

The movie went into production without a finished script, and to me it started to show towards the middle and end.

LikeNoOneBefore said:
Of course, it's been impossible to make a decent trilogy since Lord of the Rings.

Setting aside the fact that the LOTR films hardly qualify as a trilogy (they're more like one overly-long-ass movie split up into three parts, ala Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2), there haven't really been many trilogies since then to warrant that statement.

What has there been, Pirates? That's about it. Spiderman I guess almost counts, even though that's just an ongoing series like Star Trek or something, and it was definitely better than decent. Maybe the only other one out there is Shrek, but those movies are just so terrible I hadrly acknowledge their existance to begin with.

Shrek will keep going.
Pirates will keep going, but the sequels were so poor compared to the original they don't count.
Spidey's gonna continue.

Indy's not going to be a trilogy anymore

The only huge trilogies I can think of that I still love are Back to the Future and the Original Star Wars trilogy, which is the best in my opinion.

The more I think about it, most trilogies aren't really trilogies in the traditional sense of the word. For example, my favorite trilogy is Sergio Leone's fan-titled "Dollars Trilogy" or "Man With No Name Trilogy", but there really isn't any character or plot consistency at all between those three films.

One true trilogy I still love though is the Matrix trilogy. Just about everyone and their mother hates the two sequels for some reason (I'll admit Revolutions wasn't that great), but I genuinely prefer Reloaded to the original. And I do love all three films to varying degrees.

I really liked the original Matrix and Reloaded to some degree, but not Revolutions at all.

I have the Man With No Name trilogy on Netflix right now.

Pirates, you tried way too hard to be too good. :down:

LemonMacPhisto said:

I have the Man With No Name trilogy on Netflix right now.

Hope you enjoy them. Watch them in chronological order too to best get a sense of Leone's evolution as a filmmaker. And if you can, try to watch the fully restored version of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, the full 179 minute one. Some of the restored scenes are some of my favorites in the whole film.

In all honesty, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is in my top 5 and in all probability my #1, something I realized after watching the restored version again a couple nights ago.

And then if you like these films, you oughta check out Once Upon A Time in the West. It's a lot more meditative and patient than the Dollars films, and and lot of people call it the best western ever made. I feel it's just slightly overrated, but still worth checking out. I haven't seen Duck, You Sucker yet, but hopefully will as soon as I can afford the Sergio Leone Anthology DVD set. And Once Upon A Time in America is one of the most breathtaking works of cinema I've seen, and is my #2 Leone film and #1 gangster film.

More info than you ever wanted, but there you go.

LemonMacPhisto said:

The only huge trilogies I can think of that I still love are Back to the Future and the Original Star Wars trilogy, which is the best in my opinion.

Indiana Jones ? Godfather ? Die Hard (not sure it counts but I like the movies) ?

I think the three big movie trilogies are S. Wars, Godfather and now LOTR. And I don't know about you, but ROTJ or Godfather III are a bigger dissapointment than ROTK.

Do current money driven trilogies like Shrek (haven't watched the last one but I thought part II was a good sequel - cartoon or not), Pirates (I have yet to see part III, Chest had too many added characters and less charming as the first one) Spiderman and Ocean's whateveren really count ?
Matrix could be a classic if left alone after the first movie. the only thing that comes close to the first one in the sequels is that tunnel trick with Neo.

Last edited:
I still haven't seen the Godfather, which is a travesty I know.

Indy's going to have a 4th movie, and isn't a true trilogy. It's a series. Same with Die Hard.

Saw The Godfather for the first time a couple nights ago. Let me just say I was disappointed. It was just a straight narrative, and little more. It was incredibly well-acted, and the story was great, and the score was very good, but other than that, there isn't a whole lot to talk about. There was a huge feeling of a lack of closure too, and all that does is really make me want to see Part II, which I'm hoping will live up to the hype.

All I can say for sure now is that there's NO WAY this film is even in the top 10 of all time, let alone the very best.

Right, I forgot about that. There is/will be more McClane and Indy after part III.

Some of the Indy movies include the same characters (Rhys-Jones as the trusty Indy assistant), as well as Die Hard (the wife, the black cop), but yeah. Three separate stories, with nothing linking them.

U2girl said:
Right, I forgot about that. There is/will be more McClane and Indy after part III.

Some of the Indy movies include the same characters (Rhys-Jones as the trusty Indy assistant), as well as Die Hard (the wife, the black cop), but yeah. Three separate stories, with nothing linking them.

I read that Sean Connery won't be along as Indy's dad--that's too bad! Good to know that John Rhys-Davies will be aboard!

Lancemc said:
Saw The Godfather for the first time a couple nights ago. Let me just say I was disappointed. It was just a straight narrative, and little more. It was incredibly well-acted, and the story was great, and the score was very good, but other than that, there isn't a whole lot to talk about. There was a huge feeling of a lack of closure too, and all that does is really make me want to see Part II, which I'm hoping will live up to the hype.

All I can say for sure now is that there's NO WAY this film is even in the top 10 of all time, let alone the very best.

I've heard Part II is far superior to the original.

Gotta love parallel storylines in one movie :up:

Lancemc said:

Godfather II is one of my alltime favorite movies. I think it lives up to the hype. But STOP AT GODFATHER II. DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER!!!!!

BonosSaint said:

Godfather II is one of my alltime favorite movies. I think it lives up to the hype. But STOP AT GODFATHER II. DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER!!!!!

Godf3MaryKogel.jpg

WHA? YOU NO LIKE ME?!?!

Holy shit it does.

She spills wine on her dress and everyone is sleeping.

:shifty:

It was the only Sofia Coppola Godfather III pic I could find on Google.

After seeing the first two the night they opened, I've still yet to see this. It's looking more and more like something I'll wait for DVD for.

You bitches should all go see Knocked Up instead. :up:

Back
Top Bottom