Pink Floyd Survivor: Wish You Were Here - FINAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your LEAST favourite song!

• Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts I - V)

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Wish You Were Here

Votes: 15 44.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobl04

45:33
Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Even though half of you is dead.

Votes:
Shine On Part Two - 14
Wish You Were Here - 4
Shine On Part One - 2
Total: 20

Songs eliminated so far:
60. Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI - IX)
59. Have a Cigar
58. Welcome to the Machine
57. Us and Them
56. Brain Damage
=54. Eclipse
=54. Speak to Me/Breathe
=52. Money
=52. Great Gig in the Sky
51. Any Colour You Like
50. On the Run
49. Wots... uh the Deal
48. Burning Bridges
=46. Childhood's End
=46. Obscured by Clouds
45. Stay
=43. The Gold it's in the...
=43. Mudmen
42. When You're In
41. Absolutely Curtains
40. Fearless
41. One of These Days
39. A Pillow of Winds
38. San Tropez
37. Seamus
36. Fat Old Sun
35. If
34. Atom Heart Mother Suite
33. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast
32. The Narrow Way
31. Grantchester Meadows
30. Sysyphus
29. The Grand Vizier's Garden Party
28. Green is the Colour
27. The Nile Song
26. Ibiza Bar
25. Cirrus Minor
24. Crying Song
=22. Main Theme
=22. Dramatic Theme
21. Up the Khyber
=18. More Blues
=18. A Spanish Piece
=18. Quicksilver
17. Party Sequence
16. Let There Be More Light
15. Jugband Blues
14. Remember a Day
13. A Saucerful of Secrets
12. Corporal Clegg
11. See-Saw
10. Astronomy Domine
9. Interstellar Overdrive
8. Flaming
7. Matilda Mother
=2. Take up Thy Stethoscope and Walk
=2. The Gnome
=2. Chapter 24
=2. The Scarecrow
=2. Bike
1. Pow R. Toc H.

Finalists
Piper at the Gates of Dawn: Lucifer Sam
A Saucerful of Secrets: Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
More: Cymbaline
Ummagumma: Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict
Atom Heart Mother: Summer '68
Meddle: Echoes
Obscured by Clouds: Free Four
Dark Side of the Moon: Time

Disafuckingpointing people. :tsk:

Shine On for me. I am of the opinion that Wish You Were Here would be an extremely deserving winner of this competiton.

This isn't an easy choice, but it's not agonisingly hard either. For all the greatness of WYWH, SOYCD I-V is one of the most stunningly incredible atmospheric songs I have ever heard.

I like Shine On for the win. I would place it as Floyd's second best achievement, and, as Axver noted, one of the finest atmospheric tracks of all time.

As beautiful as WYWH is, I have to vote it off because Shine On is just epic, classic and all those wonderful adjectives.

:grumpy: I still say splitting up SOYCD into two tracks was a bad idea. Just a waste of a slot, really, and WYWH would be an incredible closer as it is. Instead of taking a decade to start, SOYCD should have been trimmed to a solid 15 minutes or so, with the cool jamming of VI-IX added towards the end of the song. Throw in an extra track, and you've just added in more variety and more logical sequencing to the album in one fell swoop.

LemonMelon said:
Instead of taking a decade to start, SOYCD should have been trimmed to a solid 15 minutes or so, with the cool jamming of VI-IX added towards the end of the song.

BLASPHEMY. :ohmy:

GibsonGirl said:

BLASPHEMY. :ohmy:

I love the song, don't get me wrong, but it takes nearly 4 minutes (w/ 30 second fade-in) before that classic four-note riff kicks in. Cram the two together and make one mammoth tune, and BAM, you have the best thing ever.

LemonMelon said:

I love the song, don't get me wrong, but it takes nearly 4 minutes (w/ 30 second fade-in) before that classic four-note riff kicks in. Cram the two together and make one mammoth tune, and BAM, you have the best thing ever.

Aw man, but those four minutes are crucial, in my opinion. I can't really put into words how incredible it sounds when Rick makes that chord change. It's so simple, yet so effective. Not to mention the beautiful guitar playing. It's possible to get rid of the long intro and still pull off a good performance -- Roger did it on his latest tour -- but I much prefer to have it there. It seems a bit bare without it. I also love the way the end of WYWH fades into the last four parts of SOYCD. I don't think it would have been possible to replicate that if the tracks weren't separated.

I haven't listened to this album in a while. On it goes. :drool:

How the hell is SOYCD I-V leading? :huh:

And yeah, anyone who wants to remove its first four minutes is a Philistine who doesn't appreciate perfectly crafted atmosphere.

GibsonGirl said:

Aw man, but those four minutes are crucial, in my opinion. I can't really put into words how incredible it sounds when Rick makes that chord change. It's so simple, yet so effective. Not to mention the beautiful guitar playing. It's possible to get rid of the long intro and still pull off a good performance -- Roger did it on his latest tour -- but I much prefer to have it there. It seems a bit bare without it. I also love the way the end of WYWH fades into the last four parts of SOYCD. I don't think it would have been possible to replicate that if the tracks weren't separated.

I haven't listened to this album in a while. On it goes. :drool:

Any live versions of the more bare Roger arrangements on youtube? :hmm:

GibsonGirl said:

Here (don't mind the click track): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x7cUK5k4Lg

There is also an interesting take on Shine On from the ITF tour (2000). It's Parts 1-8. I'm looking for it on YouTube but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks much. :up: SOYCD is so good. :drool: It's a shame a song like that would have to be eliminated from anything. Most bands, given 100 years, could never craft a song half that good.

LemonMelon said:

Thanks much. :up: SOYCD is so good. :drool: It's a shame a song like that would have to be eliminated from anything. Most bands, given 100 years, could never craft a song half that good.

I know, seriously. I listen to it and wonder, in awe, how it must have felt to sit back after its completion and hear it in the studio for the first time. I wonder if they realised that they had recorded the musical equivalent of perfection?

I still can't find the ITF version of SOYCD on YouTube.
wail.gif
Oh well. Check it out if you use the iTunes store -- it's well worth the 99c.

GibsonGirl said:
I still can't find the ITF version of SOYCD on YouTube.
wail.gif
Oh well. Check it out if you use the iTunes store -- it's well worth the 99c.

I can dig it up on Rhapsody. :up:

LemonMelon said:

I can dig it up on Rhapsody. :up:

Cool. :up: It's pretty much everything you proposed (under fifteen minutes) only the intro is still there.

Gotta agree with GibsonGirl there, the way WYWH segues into Shine On 2 is just magic...

And there's been like two people here who want WYWH to win but it's leading..

COBL_04 said:
Gotta agree with GibsonGirl there, the way WYWH segues into Shine On 2 is just magic...

And there's been like two people here who want WYWH to win but it's leading..

I know, it doesn't seem right... God, don't tell me we've got alters voting in the Floyd survivor now.

Alters would be lame.

Or are people who want SOYCD I-V to go to the finals accidentally voting for it, not WYWH?

Axver said:
Alters would be lame.

Or are people who want SOYCD I-V to go to the finals accidentally voting for it, not WYWH?

It could be that. Of course, it could also be the people who know three Floyd songs (i.e. WYWH, ABITW pt. II, and Money) voting...

It's make this competition so much easier and so much better if the people who actually voted took 10 seconds to post something in the thread. I don't get it.

Course if it's alters than that's really disappointing.

GibsonGirl said:
It could be that. Of course, it could also be the people who know three Floyd songs (i.e. WYWH, ABITW pt. II, and Money) voting...

I honestly thought SOYCD was just as well known as WYWH. Then again, my perception of what's popular is hardly anything to go by ...

Axver said:

I honestly thought SOYCD was just as well known as WYWH. Then again, my perception of what's popular is hardly anything to go by ...

Heh. :wink: SOYCD definitely isn't as popular as WYWH. Most people only know the big three. You could probably add Learning To Fly to the list as well.

Ha, Learning To Fly, really? I never ever would've guessed that. I have a tendency to confuse that with a couple of other tracks, and I've certainly never heard anybody mention it outside of a handful of Pink Floyd threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom