Pink Floyd Survivor: Wish You Were Here - FINAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your LEAST favourite song!

• Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Parts I - V)

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • Wish You Were Here

Votes: 15 44.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
GibsonGirl said:

Tell me about it. :lmao:

I also love the suggestive breathing sounds during Whitehouse's bit. Whatever happened to that old prude anyway? I assume she's dead now, but I'm too lazy to check.

She didn't do anything of importance in the 90's and died in 2001. Not much to tell, or write an (unintentionally?) hilarious song about. :shrug:

GibsonGirl said:

Tell me about it. :lmao:

I also love the suggestive breathing sounds during Whitehouse's bit. Whatever happened to that old prude anyway? I assume she's dead now, but I'm too lazy to check.

Wikipedia says she died on 23 November 2001 at the age of 91.

Wow, 91. The sourpusses always hang on until the bitter end.

You know, listening to this album now, it's going to be impossible to vote in the Animals rounds. Even though Sheep takes my number one spot, it's still incredibly difficult to deny the brilliance of the rest of the album. I even love both parts of Pigs On The Wing. A lot of people think they're throwaway songs, but they're important in context of the album's message.

Yeah, that stupid bitch made 91 while my Grandpa's going to be lucky to make 73. :mad:

And I agree, Animals will be too hard. I have trouble separating Dogs, Pigs, and Sheep in my mind as they work together so well, and like you say, Pigs On The Wing is important in context.

:drool: Pigs On The Wing

Much like I can't vote off Fitter Happier, I can't vote off those beautiful songs in good conscience. After that, it'll be:

3. Pigs
2. Sheep
1. Dogs (FTW)

Reading back over the thread....

I voted against SOYCD and for a Wish You Were Here win. I think SOYCD is very cool piece of work, but I think Wish You Were Here is the much better song.

Maybe SOYCD would get my vote if it were tighter, shorter, but it meanders a bit much for my taste. But probably not -- I'd still prefer the songwriting on Wish You Were Here. If I were grading I'd probably give SOYCD an A and Wish You Were Here an A+.

(OK, I'm one of those Pink Floyd fans who knows all the music from DSOTM through the Final Cut, but just a handful of songs before and after that era. I imagine there's a good number of us.)

:dance:

SOYCD, hopefully with the comeback win!!

ETA: COBL, what happens if a final round is tied? I never had to deal with that in the rounds that I ran, and always figured I'd try to ask you if the situation came up. :scratch:

You're right, there's about 5 hours left.

There's never been many more votes than this (26), so I think the total isn't going to change much. Hopefully, anyways :up:

I quite like the post-Waters albums, to be honest. Certainly, they are not on par with titans like Dark Side and WYWH, but both Momentary and D-Bell have their moments. Sorrow and High Hopes are both foreboding in a chilling way, while Coming Back to Life, Marooned, and A Great Day for Freedom are all beautiful as well, in my opinion at least.

Aren't the finals two days long, so we've plenty of time for WYWH to be kicked out yet?

Okay, there's definitely something weird going on here. When I checked earlier today, there were 14 votes for WYWH and 12 votes for SOYCD. Now it's 17-14 in favour of WYWH. There have never been so many votes in a PF survivor round before. If people are using alters, that's pretty pathetic.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
Okay, there's definitely something weird going on here. When I checked earlier today, there were 14 votes for WYWH and 12 votes for SOYCD. Now it's 17-12 in favour of WYWH. There have never been so many votes in a PF survivor round before. If people are using alters, that's pretty pathetic.

Yeah, this round is pretty clearly fudged.

SOYCD was winning an hour and a half ago. 6 votes all at once for SOYCD? Not a chance that's legit.

People using alters: FUCK OFF.

I almost think we ought to re-do this one.

Probably the hardest matchup yet. Both songs are A+ in my book. They hit me in different ways, too. Shine On is like a religious experience, but at the same time WYWH touches me on a personal sentimental level. Both are amazing and easily two of the best songs in Pink Floyd's discography, in addition to being on possibly their best album.

Have to go with Wish You Were Here in the end, though. It's everything good about Floyd wrapped up in a neat little pop-song package. Fantastic.

DaveC said:
Yeah, this round is pretty clearly fudged.

SOYCD was winning an hour and a half ago. 6 votes all at once for SOYCD? Not a chance that's legit.

People using alters: FUCK OFF.

I almost think we ought to re-do this one.

I feel this way too. Both you and I have been involved in Survivor tournaments long enough to know what's genuine voting and what's suspect. This is one of the most suspect rounds I've seen in any tournament.

I can't imagine someone here being that pathetic to rig a fucking music poll. Regardless, a do-over is ridiculous. Investigate the users who voted and trace their identities or whatever, but if not then move on. It's not the end of the world if Wish You Were Here represents its namesake.

lazarus said:
I can't imagine someone here being that pathetic to rig a fucking music poll. Regardless, a do-over is ridiculous. Investigate the users who voted and trace their identities or whatever, but if not then move on. It's not the end of the world if Wish You Were Here represents its namesake.

No, it's not the end of the world, but it's still bloody annoying.

lazarus said:
I can't imagine someone here being that pathetic to rig a fucking music poll.

You would be surprised. I can tell you for a fact that it happened in U2 Survivors over on EYKIW. Drove me batty.

I just went through this thread, and I count 4 people voting off SOYCD and 8 voting off WYWH.

So, in other words, less than a quarter of the people voting off SOYCD have posted, while over half of the people voting off WYWH have posted. The threads are usually a good indicator of what's happening in the polls, and a disparity like that is certainly suspect. After all, when there's alter activity, people rarely post with their alter. They just vote.

I don't know if that's good logic. Look at any poll and the total number of people who vote vs. the people who post in the thread. There are always A LOT of silent voters.

Shine On is more likely to appear to bigger Floyd fans, who are also the people more likely to post in the thread. Wish You Were Here is a song that more people in general like, and the more people that vote, the more likely it's going to win. There's the answer to your mystery.

Also, please don't compare the maniacs in EYKIW to the people that actually venture out to the other forums...

lazarus said:
I don't know if that's good logic. Look at any poll and the total number of people who vote vs. the people who post in the thread. There are always A LOT of silent voters.

Shine On is more likely to appear to bigger Floyd fans, who are also the people more likely to post in the thread. Wish You Were Here is a song that more people in general like, and the more people that vote, the more likely it's going to win. There's the answer to your mystery.

Also, please don't compare the maniacs in EYKIW to the people that actually venture out to the other forums...

All good points. I'm just going by my experience with these tournaments on Interference, having run or closely followed almost every one of them since Dave did the first one. Just from that, I feel like this is one of the most blatant cases of alter voting.

Comparing poll votes to posts is always going to be inexact. You can't often use it as any real indicator. However, even in cases of a hardcore fan favourite vs hugely popular hit, the disparity is never as huge as this. Less than a quarter of the voters for one song vs over half for the other? That pushes the bounds so much that I think it can be used as an indicator. It seems suspect, and coupled with the unnatural surge in SOYCD votes, that just about screams to me that there's alter activity.

Though this is not nearly as bad as when UF got kicked out of U2 Single Survivor. In the space of the last 20 minutes of the round, it got over 10 votes against it.

These polls are two-day polls, correct? It's only a three-vote contest, and there is 24 hours left. Far from over.

Zootlesque said:

:up::up:

That said, I don't think we should redo this blindly. Let's first have Sicy investigate if there was any fishy business.

Obviously a complete re-do of the whole poll is unfair.

An "investigation" seems a little unnecessary too. Clearly the vote's been skewed. If we were to have someone look into it, it's going to add probably a few days.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that we just say "fuck it", move on to Animals :hyper:, and keep a good eye out in the future.

An investigation is just going to stall the game and prove to us exactly what we already know.

My thoughts exactly. I thought Shine On had this in the bag.

I don't think it has anything to do with alters, however. More likely than not it's people who haven't voted on a consistent basis coming in for the final and voting in favor of Wish You Were Here because, let's face it, it's one of the most well-known Floyd songs ever, and most non diehard fans would choose it over Shine On.

I'm very disappointed in this result, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom