Pink Floyd Survivor: The Finals - Round Seven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

"People's Front of Judea. Pfft. We're the Judean People's Front!"

• Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Echoes

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wish You Were Here

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Dogs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comfortably Numb

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • High Hopes

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobl04

45:33
Sorry about the wait guys, my computer was riddled with viruses and finally absolutely shit itself. But I just got a new laptop, and I've used the modem from the old comp and hooked it up to this one, and to my amazement, it's working! so we're back in business.

Anyhoo, in the wonderful Summer '68, someone told my good pal, Careful With That Axe Eugene. He did not heed this advice and swiped his own head and an entire season from 1968 off the face of the earth.

Votes
Summer '68, Careful With That Axe Eugene - 5
High Hopes - 1
Total votes - 11

BEST PINK FLOYD SONG
15. Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict
=14. Cymbaline
=14. Lucifer Sam
12. Free Four
11. The Final Cut
10. Sorrow
=9. Summer '68
=9. Careful With That Axe, Eugene

Definitely a vote for High Hopes here, but after that it's damn hard.

I was watching Roger Waters In the Flesh DVD last night. It's pretty good stuff... except he and his band, consisting of about 10 people, absolutely butcher Wish You Were Here. Terrible rendition. Also I think the lead guitarist loves himself a fair bit. Up to Shine On (if you play the frist eight parts, why not play part nine as well? :huh: ) with Set the Controls and the rest to come.

Still holding hope for a reunion... :pray: which reminds me... what's your dream Pink Floyd setlist??

High Hopes and Set The Controls are both boring as hell. Voted for High Hopes.

COBL_04 said:

Why didn't you actually vote? :lol:

COBL_04 said:
what's your dream Pink Floyd setlist??

(I went for STCFTHOTS)

Dream setlist:

Echoes
Dogs
The Nile Song
Happiest Days/Another Brick (Part 2)
A Saucerful Of Secrets
The Gunners Dream
The Final Cut
Hey You
Marooned
Coming Back To Life
Terminal Frost
Breathe/Time/Breathe Reprise
Money
Sorrow
Shine On...(All Parts)

Wish You Were Here
Comfortably Numb

:drool:

I'm voting Echoes! It's gorgeous and epic and everything but I can do without the whole whale orgasm midsection.

Beautiful and poetic lyrics.
Breathtaking music.
Greatest guitar solo & outro ever in all of Floyd's history.
What's not to like?

Zootlesque said:
Breathtaking music.
What's not to like?

It's a great song, but I don't hold it in the same regard as Shine On..., Sheep, Comfortably Numb, or any other Floyd epics of that ilk.

Comfortably Numb not only has the best solo ever, it has to go and have two of them. Imagining Dave on top of a giant wall makes it better.

Zootlesque said:

There is nothing clear about it.

The guitar in the High Hopes outro is buried so far in the mix you can barely hear it. And even if you crank it up, it's still something Gilmour has done 50 times before.

But I'm splitting hairs. It's an OK song. Just 3 minutes too long and not nearly as good as the rest. :wink:

High Hopes.

COBL_04 said:

I was watching Roger Waters In the Flesh DVD last night. It's pretty good stuff... except he and his band, consisting of about 10 people, absolutely butcher Wish You Were Here. Terrible rendition. Also I think the lead guitarist loves himself a fair bit. Up to Shine On (if you play the frist eight parts, why not play part nine as well? :huh: ) with Set the Controls and the rest to come.

Still holding hope for a reunion... :pray: which reminds me... what's your dream Pink Floyd setlist??

Yeah, no-one liked Doyle (the guitarist)...not even Roger! Dave Kilminster is much better. I don't have time to come up with a dream reunion setlist, but all I can say is that it would be extremely unrealistic to hope for anything from The Final Cut, AMLOR or Division Bell. Dave wouldn't want to play anything from TFC (and Rick certainly wouldn't want to either) and Roger wouldn't want to play anything from the last two.

LemonMelon said:
The guitar in the High Hopes outro is buried so far in the mix you can barely hear it. And even if you crank it up, it's still something Gilmour has done 50 times before.

But I'm splitting hairs. It's an OK song. Just 3 minutes too long and not nearly as good as the rest. :wink:

Guys, guys... I didn't even mean it really when I said this...

Zootlesque said:
High Hopes is the best Pink Floyd song. :mad:

Echoes.

I was just trying to mimic Screwtape if you can scroll up and see the green wink smiley. That said, I disagree completely that High Hopes and Set The Controls are the most boring songs here!

Let's see... ranking of what's left... :hmm:

1. Time / Breathe(reprise)
2. Comfortably Numb
3. Dogs
4. High Hopes
5. Wish You Were Here
6. Set The Controls
7. Echoes

I guess something like that. Echoes would be higher if it didn't have the pointless collage of sounds in the middle.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
Breathtaking music.
What's not to like?

I agree. Only Echoes is superior to this one.

Speaking of which... is there a shortened version of Echoes without the whale sounds in the middle? :uhoh: Was there a shorter version on that compilation Echoes? :shifty:

High Hopes, after hearing Set the Controls live last year it's become one of my favorites

by the way the latin site of msn.com anounced yesterday that Pink Floyd are reuniting for some charity shows later this year

LemonMelon said:

:lol: No. Comfortably Numb and everything on Animals is clearly superior.

Gotta go with Lemel here. Dogs, Pigs and Sheep are three of the best outros I've ever heard.

Dave wouldn't want to play anything from TFC (and Rick certainly wouldn't want to either) and Roger wouldn't want to play anything from the last two.

Would be compltetely ok with me!!

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom