Pink Floyd Survivor: The Final Cut - Round 2 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Vote for your LEAST favourite song!
The Post-War Dream 0 0%
Your Possible Pasts 0 0%
One of the Few 0 0%
The Hero's Return 0 0%
The Gunner's Dream 0 0%
Paranoid Eyes 6 50.00%
The Fletcher Memorial Home 1 8.33%
Southampton Dock 1 8.33%
The Final Cut 0 0%
Not Now John 4 33.33%
Two Suns in the Sunset 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:35 AM
"I held the blade in trembling hands..prepared to make it..but...just then the phone rang....I never had the nerve to make the final cut"

Old 01-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:35 PM
Fletcher Memorial Home.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Wow, really? I think it's in the top 3 of the album. An incredible guitar solo...
Old 01-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:35 AM
Paranoid Eyes again. Next to go will be Not Now John. I don't mind the song itself so much, but it breaks up the flow between The Final Cut and Two Suns In The Sunset. Plus, it's cock rock; as Liam has said before, the Floyd don't do cock rock well. Young Lust is the perfect example of this, with NNJ not far behind.

And this is a brilliant album, as far as I'm concerned. In fact, my second favourite Pink Floyd album. If you're not a lyrics person, you'll probably appreciate it less. And if you're looking for catchy riffs, you certainly won't find them here. Dynamics-wise, things are crazy though. The quiet menace of One Of The Few into the desperate rage of The Hero's Return... it gives me chills every time. (Not talking about the 2004 remaster here - go away, Tigers!)

"The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in gives way, and suddenly, it's day again. The sun is in the east, even though the day is done. Two suns in the sunset...could be the human race is run."

Genius.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #20
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:35 PM
I'm a lyrics person. I don't like The Final Cut's lyrics tremendously much. Now I'm not saying they're bad, and it's clear there's thought in them, but there are some forced rhymes that really make me cringe.

Plus the album needs more (or, well, any) David Gilmour. Desperately.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I'm a lyrics person. I don't like The Final Cut's lyrics tremendously much. Now I'm not saying they're bad, and it's clear there's thought in them, but there are some forced rhymes that really make me cringe.

Plus the album needs more (or, well, any) David Gilmour. Desperately.
It's subjective, I suppose. I wouldn't change a single lyric on this album. And Gilmour's influence is all over the show. Some of his best and most-moving solos are featured here. True, I guess he could have sung a bit more. I just don't think his voice would have suited the lyrics all that well. Even when he does sing, he's basically singing in Roger's style anyway.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #22
Vocal parasite

To me, The Final Cut might as well be a Waters solo album. It doesn't feel like a full Pink Floyd album, hence my Gilmour comment.

As for the lyrics, here's an example of a line that I really don't like:

Tell me true, tell me why was Jesus crucified
Was it for this that Daddy died?
Was it you? Was it me?
Did I watch too much T.V.?

... seriously, what?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
To me, The Final Cut might as well be a Waters solo album. It doesn't feel like a full Pink Floyd album, hence my Gilmour comment.

Was it you? Was it me?

... seriously, what?
True, the TV line doesn't make too much sense in context. You could say it's an example of all the absurd reasons one could come up with to explain why war happens in the first place...at a stretch. Even so, that's only one not-so-great-line in an album full of great lines.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Paranoid Eyes again. Next to go will be Not Now John. I don't mind the song itself so much, but it breaks up the flow between The Final Cut and Two Suns In The Sunset. Plus, it's cock rock; as Liam has said before, the Floyd don't do cock rock well. Young Lust is the perfect example of this, with NNJ not far behind.

And this is a brilliant album, as far as I'm concerned. In fact, my second favourite Pink Floyd album. If you're not a lyrics person, you'll probably appreciate it less. And if you're looking for catchy riffs, you certainly won't find them here. Dynamics-wise, things are crazy though. The quiet menace of One Of The Few into the desperate rage of The Hero's Return... it gives me chills every time. (Not talking about the 2004 remaster here - go away, Tigers!)

"The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in gives way, and suddenly, it's day again. The sun is in the east, even though the day is done. Two suns in the sunset...could be the human race is run."

Genius.
paranoid eyes pwns GG
Old 01-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22

paranoid eyes pwns GG
I love the song, don't get me wrong! I love all the songs on this album (yes, even GYFHOMD - it's a funny little song) with the exception of Not Now John. This is just one of those weeks where Paranoid Eyes is not doing very much for me.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by MsMofoGone

Somebody's got some explaining to do !! Exactly what is so-ooo GREAT about this album ??
I like to think of albums as having color. Roger Waters albums, and let's face it this basically a solo album, are in black & white. They are like a documentary into the human pysche. Deep down we aren't beautiful and colorful. We are alone and longing. The human call is one of sorrow and loneliness. It was William James who said we are social animals. The Final Cut is an animal without color trying to get through to someone. That longing and need for human contact is what makes this album have a soul and life. While you listen to the album you can feel that flame slow down to nothing. That is a beautiful and unique experience. That's what makes the album great.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #27
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
True, the TV line doesn't make too much sense in context. You could say it's an example of all the absurd reasons one could come up with to explain why war happens in the first place...at a stretch. Even so, that's only one not-so-great-line in an album full of great lines.
The big problem is that those lyrics open the album. As soon as I heard that yesterday, it made me feel negatively about what was to come.

I got bored and gave up after four songs.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Skip ahead to the title cut and listen to that one again.

My top 3 on this album are The Gunner's Dream, The Fletcher Memorial Home, and The Final Cut. And yes, it's no coincidence that all three feature a prominent Gilmour solo.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:12 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Was it you? Was it me?

... seriously, what?
True. But the final few lines make up for it.

"Should we shooooooooout, should we screeeeeeeam
'What happened to the post war dream?'
Oh Maggie, Maggie what did you do?"

Classic Waters delivery

True. But the final few lines make up for it.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Just on the topic of Not Now John, I realised that i'd never seen any video for it...

Tags
pink floyd survivor, survivor