Pink Floyd = Overrated ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
OK, for some reason, this has been bugging me lately. It seems that overall, and especially on these boards, The Floyd are often hailed as one of, if not THE greatest thing since the discovery of fire. Now don't get me wrong, I love PF, I'm a big fan. Their stuff is largely great. But I don't quite understand the infatuation. Why are the often regarded as the greatest band in the world...even ONE OF the greatest, when a large chunk of their catalog is fairly forgettable, and the real stand-outs, while technically and artistically impressive, are generally lacking in...for lack of a better word..."spirit"...or maybe "soul". Though the latter makes it sound like I'm damning the band for not being a soul band...but I think you get what I'm trying to say. And if not, please say so.

But, when I see Dark Side of the Moon on so many top 10 albums of all time lists or whatever they are, I can't help but think, "Yeah, Dark Side is a brilliantly produced album, but there is so much more rewarding music out there that also matches its quality." So, I'm not saying the band doesn't have the chops, or that they aren't a technically adept band...they're actually one of the most musically capable bands in history. I just don't think they deserve all the praise. And I'm not going to even begin to get into Waters' monster of an ego, which I feel really brought down Floyd's last two Waters-inclusive (or should I say Waters-consumed) LPs.

Looking at the catalog, the real meat of their career, the most critically acclaimed, and fan-loved section, is obviously Meddle, Dark Side, Wish you Were Here, Animals, and The Wall. Maybe even include The Final Cut, though that's just a generally weak album compared to those others listed. Personally, I'm not a big fan of The Wall. It's too pompous, lacks a respectable repertoire of solid songs, and despite a few highlights comes off over-long and dull. Like I mentioned earlier, Dark Side is an technically breathtaking album, but compare it to something like Blood on the Tracks, and it beigns to feel a little shallow and uninspiring. Same can be said for Animals, though Animals might just be their finest album, and I really don't have any qualms with it. Animals is to an extend, a wholly brilliant album. Wish You Were Here is a bit tedious, though I feel it's the most heart-felt of the "big section" of albums. And Meddle is probably the warmest album, but half of the tracks are pretty weak.

When all is said and done, I really can't blame those who peg Floyd into the "stoner band" catagory, because really, well, they are. And while their best highlights really can be spectacular, I just don't think they have the substance to be put in the same class as "bands" like The Beatles, The Who, Springsteen and the E-Street band, U2, R.E.M., Radiohead, and even solo artists like Dylan and Bowie.

i think you have to be a prog rock lover in order to understand why they are held in so high esteem by some people.

the bands you listed at the end are far from prog rock (except maybe radiohead in some aspects, but they are a weird fish to categorize)

U2Man said:
i think you have to be a prog rock lover in order to understand why they are held in so high esteem by some people.

Fair enough, though I often see their albums and name placed in the company of those I listed when people talk about the best whatevers of all time.

U2Man said:

the bands you listed at the end are far from prog rock (except maybe radiohead in some aspects, but they are a weird fish to categorize)

I'm not a prog rock lover at all, but I dig the Floyd. I would never stick them in my top 5 or hell, even my top 10, but whenever I listen to them I "get it", so to speak. That sort of stuff just trancends, I think.

Lancemc said:

Fair enough, though I often see their albums and name placed in the company of those I listed when people talk about the best whatevers of all time.

i know. and thats why lists are crap. if you dont like prog rock, there's no way you can accept that dark side of the moon is at number 1, 2, 3 or whatevs on any list.

similarly if you have really weird taste like axver and cannot stand the beatles, you probably dont like to see 3-4 beatles albums listed in the first 10 places.

Lancemc, that was very well written, and you were very fair to the band.

here's my take: Pink Floyd are lame

:wink:

okay, I'm sure they have artistic talent and all, and I've tried to get into them, and I do occassionally enjoy some of their songs, but pretty much I think they're boring. So do I think they're overrated? Yes. Very much so. But I also find prog as a whole to be pretentious and dull. The only prog I like is heavier prog like Tool and Porcupine Tree.

different strokes :shrug:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I'm not a prog rock lover at all, but I dig the Floyd. I would never stick them in my top 5 or hell, even my top 10, but whenever I listen to them I "get it", so to speak. That sort of stuff just trancends, I think.

i know people who lived at the time pink floyd were big and they still find them incredibly boring. and i know people that love them.

prog rock is pretty much a love-or-hate thing.

How's this? I think saying "Pink Floyd is lame" is LAME! They were a great unit because they took great care into putting together an album. For them, an album wasn't just a bunch of songs thrown together. For Pink Floyd, an album is one complete thought or concept album. The listener is invited to just put the album on and enjoy it straight through.
Saying that your "sure" that their good and all, shows that you probably haven't really listened to their stuff except on the radio. And when you listen to it on the radio, you kind of take the music out of its element and context. Remember, Pink Floyd didn't give a shit about their music getting played on the radio. They were beyond that. They just wanted people to listen to their albums and appreciate them as a whole.
The Wall overlong? It's a double album that clocks in at about 80 minutes. If you watched a movie for 80 minutes, you wouldn't say it was long.

That's true. But the Wall is a boring album stuffed with Filler. Movies like that suck too. :shrug:

MrPryck2U said:
The Wall is boring only if you have a boring mind.

Different strokes for different folks.

I know I have to be in the mood to listen to that album all the way through.

Most people can't sit through a 17 minute song like Dogs, they just can't.

Dogs is one of my favorite Floyd songs, but I'll admit, parts of it bore me out of my mind. Other parts, the verses for example, and the acoustic guitar riffs absolutely blow me away. But the extended synth sections just irritate. It's not that I can't sit through a 17 minute song (I'm not insinuating you were pointing me out specifically...just commenting), it's just that those 17 minutes had better all be good music, rather than 12 minutes of Gold, and an extra 5 of garbage just thrown in for good measure.

Basically I think I'm just a little put off by the jam-band, prog, whatever you call it aspect of many Floyd compositions.

I'm a pretty big Floyd fan and still agree somewhat with Lancemc's original post that they are overrated. As for the Wall, I absolutely love it! You have to be in the right mood for that album, kinda like UF or ATYCLB.

No.

1. Pink Floyd has made some of the most emotional music in rock history. Many of the themes that run through their music are universal. Mania, greed, war, alienation, drugs, mortality and religion are all things that we wrestle with as human beings. Roger Waters can express the sense of those uncertains and evils better than most. How can songs like Echoes, Us and Them, Gunner's Dream, Shine On You Crazy Diamonds and Hey You not have a sense of 'spirit'?
2. Pink Floyd shrouds these concepts in music that can bring a listener into those worlds. Pink Floyd is one of the most cinematic bands in history because of that. You have to be willing to give yourself to those worlds to appreciate them. Few artists can do this.
3. The idea of filler in Pink Floyd albums is complete bullshit. Pink Floyd albums are like vast paintings with every seemingly meaningless song being an important part of the whole.

In short, if you don't think Pink Floyd has substance then you haven't actually listened to them or don't want to understand them. In either case, you're misguided in your opinion. Roger Waters is a better song writer than any of the artists Lancemc listed.

Wow. That's one of the most pretentious and subtly offensive posts I've read in a long time. I was actually considering seriously responding to that too until I read your last little paragraph there.

MrPryck2U said:
I don't understand how someone can be a big Floyd fan, but still think they're overrated.

Why not? One could be a big Floyd fan and rate them say, 8/10 and still think that people that are rating them 10/10 are overrating the band. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom