Pink Floyd = Overrated ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is wank, as is most anything Syd Barrett recorded.

I'm going to leave now. :reject:

GibsonGirl said:
Sorry Lance, but I'm going to have to imagine that this thread doesn't exist. :wink:

I figured you would Gibby. :wink: That's OK, despite our differences I'll always love you. :heart:

Anyway, back to the topic. A few people seem to be misinterpreting my original post. I agree fully that Floyd are one of the most technically proficient bands ever, and they are TRUE pioneers in album production. I'm not denying their influence on popular music. It's obviously stupendous. I'm just saying their music isn't as good as so many people make it out to be :wink:

Someone mentioned my affinity towards the Arcade Fire. It's a fair observation. I'll readily admit that I easily prefer both Funeral and Neon Bible over anything Floyd's ever done. (Again, don't read this as me saying I don't like Pink Floyd. It's quite the contrary. I can't make that clearer.) While those albums aren't the grand gestures or studio masterpieces that some Floyd albums are, personally, I think the songs are much better, and those two albums are more moving than anything I've heard from Floyd. BUT that doesn't mean I think The Arcade Fire are a better band than Pink Floyd. Get it?

U2Man said:
their echoes best of compilation is quite good. i own it.

It's a pity they slaughtered the track that the compilation is named after. You can't edit Echoes down, you just can't!

As for the topic on hand...I find it hard to think of the Floyd as being over-rated. Really, I do. I fully believe they belong in top ten lists because they HAVE been highly influential. No, of course they haven't been as influential as the Beatles. Pink Floyd were never good at three minute pop songs. See Emily Play and Arnold Layne are good little psychedelic pop songs, but those are the exceptions. What they were very good at was writing about themes that hit home with people. Sure, Maxwell's Silver Hammer is fun to sing along to, but does it have the same emotive power as a song like Time? I think it's senseless to compare them to The Beatles in any way, because people like the two bands for completely different reasons.

I think it says a lot that Pink Floyd are still able to connect with new generations of fans so many years after their best work. Take my father, for instance. He was one of those second generation fans who got on board in the 70s during the latter portion of the Waters era. Then there was a wave of third generation fans with A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell. After that, yet another wave with Live 8. The point is, people are continually discovering Pink Floyd and falling in love with them, and I think that says a lot about their quality as a band.

Anyway, over-rated or not, they'll always be one of my favourites.

GibsonGirl said:

It's a pity they slaughtered the track that the compilation is named after. You can't edit Echoes down, you just can't!

As for the topic on hand...I find it hard to think of the Floyd as being over-rated. Really, I do. I fully believe they belong in top ten lists because they HAVE been highly influential. No, of course they haven't been as influential as the Beatles. Pink Floyd were never good at three minute pop songs. See Emily Play and Arnold Layne are good little psychedelic pop songs, but those are the exceptions. What they were very good at was writing about themes that hit home with people. Sure, Maxwell's Silver Hammer is fun to sing along to, but does it have the same emotive power as a song like Time? I think it's senseless to compare them to The Beatles in any way, because people like the two bands for completely different reasons.

I think it says a lot that Pink Floyd are still able to connect with new generations of fans so many years after their best work. Take my father, for instance. He was one of those second generation fans who got on board in the 70s during the latter portion of the Waters era. Then there was a wave of third generation fans with A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell. After that, yet another wave with Live 8. The point is, people are continually discovering Pink Floyd and falling in love with them, and I think that says a lot about their quality as a band.

Anyway, over-rated or not, they'll always be one of my favourites.

I think comparing Maxwell's Silver Hammer to Time is a unfair. Maybe compared to The Long and Winding Road or While My Guitar Gently Weeps or something. It would be like comparing Bike to Let It Be, you know?

agree with your post though :up:

Lancemc said:

I'm just saying their music isn't as good as so many people make it out to be :wink:

Ah, but Lance, don't forget the bit about subjectivity. :wink: I think Pink Floyd's music trounces over pleeeenty of other highly-acclaimed artists', but that's just my personal taste. I think, for instance, that Pink Floyd's songs stamp all over Bruce Springsteen's songs and give them a kick in the nads. Just because they can. But again, that's only a reflection of my musical taste. I think it's treading into dangerous territory to start dictating what constitutes good music and what doesn't.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I think comparing Maxwell's Silver Hammer to Time is a unfair. Maybe compared to The Long and Winding Road or While My Guitar Gently Weeps or something. It would be like comparing Bike to Let It Be, you know?

Oh, of course, but that's the point. The Beatles never wrote a song quite like Time. Pink Floyd never wrote a song quite like Maxwell's Silver Hammer. That's why I take offence to people comparing the two bands to one another in any shape or form. They were just completely different bands. The only thing they had in common was EMI's sound bank at Abbey Road Studios.

I believe me, I know this is all entirely subjective. Which is why no one should ever get really upset about any of this stuff. Everytime I argue about music with me best friend we always end saying "Well, it's all subjective anyway, so why the fuck are we arguing in the first place?". So yeah, I don't mean to wander into that territory you speak of. I am the first to admit to the power of personal taste. So, let me rephrase what you quoted by adding an "I don't think" in the beginning.

;)

Lancemc said:
I believe me, I know this is all entirely subjective. Which is why no one should ever get really upset about any of this stuff. Everytime I argue about music with me best friend we always end saying "Well, it's all subjective anyway, so why the fuck are we arguing in the first place?". So yeah, I don't mean to wander into that territory you speak of. I am the first to admit to the power of personal taste. So, let me rephrase what you quoted by adding an "I don't think" in the beginning.

;)

I knew you love the floyd and didnt think they were overrated ....

you were trying to be controversial like me:wink:

cdisantis83 said:

San Tropez?:wink:

Too jazzy. :wink:

EDIT: On a different note, I'm listening to "It's Deafinitely" right now by Mr. Gilmour right now for the first time in a long time and it's fucking awesome. I really need to listen to his first solo album more often.

Last edited:
xaviMF22 said:

I was thinking more like "The Gnome"

Well, if we're going to speculate...I think Arnold Layne is actually a bit closer if you look at the lyrics. Maxwell's Silver Hammer is about a strange fellow who hits people with a hammer. Arnold Layne is about a strange fellow who steals clothes off washing lines. Both end up getting caught for their odd behaviour. Completely different music though.

Gibby. I'm going to go completely off topic for a second here just because I don't have PM-ing capabilities. Where exactly do you go to school? You're still in Canada right? The only reason I ask is because a few college buddies and I might be going somewhere up there for Spring Break this year, and if the stars align, we might be able to hang out. :shrug:

Lancemc said:
Gibby. I'm going to go completely off topic for a second here just because I don't have PM-ing capabilities. Where exactly do you go to school? You're still in Canada right? The only reason I ask is because a few college buddies and I might be going somewhere up there for Spring Break this year, and if the stars align, we might be able to hang out. :shrug:

Still in Canada, indeed. I go to Memorial University of Newfoundland. :lol: St. John's would probably bore you guys senseless!

Lancemc said:
Because Grammys don't mean shit.

That's not really my point.
If they had won 10 Grammys or lots of other awards, I can see how they are overrated. But with one Grammy in 1994 (post-Waters), I don't see who is doing the "overrating".

I'm not sure that Floyd has ever been a darling of the critics; in fact, some reviewers and polls seem to take pride in keeping them off of "best-of" lists and the like (i.e., Rolling Stone). There was a recent one that explicitly stated something to the effect of, "that's right, no Pink Floyd on this list!" Most of their support, it seems, has come from a somewhat underground fanbase and select radio stations. I know that in my hometown, the local radio station routinely ranks Dark Side as the greatest album of all time in their annual polls. The classic rock station here in Toledo, on the other hand, hardly ever plays Floyd's music.

GibsonGirl said:

Still in Canada, indeed. I go to Memorial University of Newfoundland. :lol: St. John's would probably bore you guys senseless!

Haha, yeah. I'm pretty sure we're going to Montreal if we go. I'm not that familiar with Canadian Geography, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to make a weekend trip yourself. oh well. Would be cool anyway. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom