Pink Floyd = Overrated ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i know a lot of people in B&C are floyd fans which is fine, of course. but you guys are going to have to find another way to get your opinion across without calling non-fans deranged, boring, or whatever. you're entitled to your opinion but name calling isn't allowed.

this goes for everyone, people who've already posted in this thread and any possible future offenders in this thread.

Screwtape2 said:

3. The idea of filler in Pink Floyd albums is complete bullshit. Pink Floyd albums are like vast paintings with every seemingly meaningless song being an important part of the whole.

I'm as big of a Floyd fan as anyone, but you can't be serious that not one Floyd album has any filler on it.

It is completely possible to like a band but think they're overrated.

I like Led Zeppelin just fine, but I think some of their work is overrated amongst everything else.

It's bound to happen since music is subjective... well it was the last time I checked.

If you like a band, be it Pink Floyd or anything, you're not diseased. If you don't like them, you're not diseased either.

Now if you pretend to like Floyd because it's the "in-thing" to do, then you're diseased, but that's it. :wink:

sorry Lance:wink: but I'll have to disagree

heck Radiohead are even more overrated than pink floyd:drool:

in fact PiNK Floyd>rADIOHEAD

MrPryck2U said:
I suppose with a title like: Pink Floyd=overrated?, it was destined to go down that road.
you're probably right. and i don't want anyone to think you can't express your disagreement with lancemc's post. surely anyone who knows me i'm certainly never shy about voicing my own opinions :wink:

i just don't want anyone to be like "lol you're an dumbass" or anything like that.

Pink Floyd rule

in fact I say we turn this into a pink floyd appreciation thread

careful with that axe eugene is :drool: :drool:

xaviMF22 said:
radiohead are just a poor mans pink floyd:wink:

remember what zoomerang told you recently?

you're not worthy of that avatar, xavi.

it's a scandal.

Screwtape2 said:
No.

1. Pink Floyd has made some of the most emotional music in rock history. Many of the themes that run through their music are universal. Mania, greed, war, alienation, drugs, mortality and religion are all things that we wrestle with as human beings. Roger Waters can express the sense of those uncertains and evils better than most. How can songs like Echoes, Us and Them, Gunner's Dream, Shine On You Crazy Diamonds and Hey You not have a sense of 'spirit'?
2. Pink Floyd shrouds these concepts in music that can bring a listener into those worlds. Pink Floyd is one of the most cinematic bands in history because of that. You have to be willing to give yourself to those worlds to appreciate them. Few artists can do this.
3. The idea of filler in Pink Floyd albums is complete bullshit. Pink Floyd albums are like vast paintings with every seemingly meaningless song being an important part of the whole.

Screwtape2 FTW :up:

U2Man said:

remember what zoomerang told you recently?

you're not worthy of that avatar, xavi.

it's a scandal.

I'm controversial bitch:wink:

and I was joking about radiohead being a poor man's Pink Floyd:wink:

thought I do think Floyd own radiohead

U2Man said:

ed alone pwns pink floyd :drool:

Ed? what does Ed do really? Jonny is the better guitarist, Thom is better vocalist...
Ed is just in the band because he resembles Morrissey and because without him.....
the band will be known as the ugliest band ever....:wink:

ed does all the neat little pop guitar stuff.

2+2=5 :drool:

knives out :drool:

the intro to lucky :drool:

thom is definitely not a better vocalist. ed should be allowed to sing some more.

ed :drool:

U2Man said:
ed does all the neat little pop guitar stuff.

2+2=5 :drool:

knives out :drool:

the intro to lucky :drool:

thom is definitely not a better vocalist. ed should be allowed to sing some more.

ed :drool:

Ed sucks..most useless member ever

----------------------------------------------------
back on topic

Pink Floyd are:drool:

See Emily play :drool:

MrPryck2U said:
How's this? I think saying "Pink Floyd is lame" is LAME! They were a great unit because they took great care into putting together an album. For them, an album wasn't just a bunch of songs thrown together. For Pink Floyd, an album is one complete thought or concept album. The listener is invited to just put the album on and enjoy it straight through.
Saying that your "sure" that their good and all, shows that you probably haven't really listened to their stuff except on the radio. And when you listen to it on the radio, you kind of take the music out of its element and context. Remember, Pink Floyd didn't give a shit about their music getting played on the radio. They were beyond that. They just wanted people to listen to their albums and appreciate them as a whole.

whoa dude, calm down.

first of all, i'm well aware of the whole concept album thing, and I do appreciate it, and I wish more bands would do it, frankly. I like albums where the songs flow together to be one cohesive unit. I've listened to Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall in their entirety, and yes, they feel like one long song - one long boring song with a few interesting bits thrown in every once and awhile.

it comes down to taste. I said Floyd is lame with a :wink:. I'm well aware of their respective musical talent and their impact on music. I also don't particularly like their music. It's not because I think they suck (though I do agree that they're overrated), it's simply because I don't like that kind of music. No arguement can change my personal taste. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom