Pink Floyd fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
Calling out all pink floyd fans out here..Raise your hand. Your best Pink Floyd album and your best Pink floyd song

My fav is "comfortably numb", "wish you were here" and lots and lots of others but my favorite album is THE WALL
smile.gif

Btw does anyone hate Pink Floyd..that would also be interesting to note

AcrobatMan

How do you choose!
Top 3:
The Wall
Dark Side
Wish You Were Here

Im not even gonna attempt the best song though "Shine On" is BEAUTIFUL!!

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

today i say "bike" is my favorite.

tommorow probably us and them.

pink floyd is beautiful.

*claps

------------------
after years of waiting, nothing came.

Dark Side of the Moon

Us and Them

Saw them in 1994 at Giants Stadium in New Jersey. One of my favorite shows of all time.

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

actually their all good...but i like the wall best just because of the concept behind it...

------------------
In the Kamigata area they have a sort of tiered lunch box they use for a single day when flower viewing. Upon returning, they throw them away, trampling them underfoot. As might be expected, this is one of my recollections of the capital [Kyoto]. The end is important in all things.
-from the book Hagakure:The Book of the Samuri by Yamaoto Tsunetomo

Originally posted by AcrobatMan:
Calling out all pink floyd fans out here..Raise your hand. Your best Pink Floyd album and your best Pink floyd song

My fav is "comfortably numb", "wish you were here" and lots and lots of others but my favorite album is THE WALL
smile.gif

Btw does anyone hate Pink Floyd..that would also be interesting to note

AcrobatMan

Who do you think is more popular overall: U2 or Pink Floyd?

The 2 have many similarities in terms of a dedicated fan base, longevity, popularity and ground-breaking concerts.

PF sold over 3 million units of their Greatest Hits a few months back, even though the have been around for 35 years and most people probably owned the songs on the disc anyway. That is impressive!

(BTW, U2, PF and The Stones are widely considered the ONLY bands who could sellout stadiums on both sides of the Atlantic)

lets all sing "bike"

"I have a bike you can ride it if you like it has..."

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

YES YES YES. I Love Pink Floyd. David Gilmour is a foundation member of my "Good David's Club"
So many great songs, so many great albums. I think Dark Side of the Moon has to be my favourite for sentimental reasons.I LOVE Great Gig In the Sky. I found some of the lyrics on Divison Bell to be very moving...."caught up in a cauldron of hate..." ouch! Needs to be said sometimes though.

lol the 'Bike' song- that is actually off my fave PF album, that being 'Relics', I just love that album especially See Emily Play and The Nile Song and then I always have a special place for Wish You were here as that album reminds me so much of my Mum and Dad and being young- they used to play that all the time and apparently it was my Mum's fave album when I was in her womb, maybe that explains why I get a fuzzy feeling whenever I hear the start of Shine on you crazy diamond
smile.gif

Originally posted by jezebel:
Dark Side of the Moon: second best rock n roll album of all time.

Run Like Hell or Shine on You Crazy Diamond, best songs.

And the greatest album of all time would be?

U2 and Pink Floyd are close in concert populatirity, but U2 beats them out overall in popularity because U2 is a much stronger album selling act for new material from 1987 to the present.

While the Greatest Hits for Pink Floyd did well, it has not sold 3 million units in the USA. The Triple platinum award was given to the GH album, because RIAA counts both disc in each album package. So the GH Pink Floyd album actually only sold 1.5 million copies in the USA. Now according to Soundscan, Dark Side Of The Moon is selling more than the GH album.

The Final Cut, Momentary Lapse.. and Division Bell were not big sellers on the grand scale. Those are the only albums of new material that has been put out by Floyd since 1980. So Pink Floyds popularity was in the 1980s and 1990s very similar to the Rolling Stones, HUGE concert fan base with much smaller sales in albums. Pink Floyd is another band like the Stones that often sells more concert tickets than their latest album release.

Pink Floyd has not done anything actively as a band since 1994. After 8 years away, Dave Gilmore has stated that he thinks that the band is over. Its rather difficult to judge Floyds popularity in the current climate because they have not had a new album in 8 years and there is no tour, the band is essentially no more.

In terms of overall popularity, achievment or critical achievement regardless of the bands current status, I would say that U2 has passed Pink Floyd by. Pink Floyd has always been and looks like will continued to be, most known for their work from 1973-1979 on Dark Side... Wish You Were Here, Animals, and the Wall. Material released after that has not had anywhere near the selling power or critical approval that those albums had. In fact there are many Critics including Rolling Stone that have attacked Pink Floyds work without Roger giving albums like Momentary and Division Bell only 2 stars out of 5. U2 on the other hand has maintained a commercial and critical level that has kept them the #1 active band worldwide since 1987. 15 years at the top on a Global scale, longer than any other band in history.

The Wall - the greatest double album of all time..

Another Brick in the wall and hey You

------------------
Smoke me a kipper
Ill be back for breakfast

IMHO, "The Wall" is one of the most over-rated pieces of music ever recorded.

Then again, "Wish You Were Here" is certainly a great album, and I guess "Dark Side Of The Moon" is another fine one too(although the album has the word WANKERS written all over it)
wink.gif

IMHO, "The Wall" is one of the most over-rated pieces of music ever recorded.
Then again, "Wish You Were Here" is certainly a great album, and I guess "Dark Side Of The Moon" is another fine one too(although the album has the word WANKERS written all over it)

Wankers?!?!?! every song is perfect.
The only questiponable stuff is the early early stuff where everything sounds like beatles songs gone all wrong.
Oh arnold layne....

I vote for a deportation of holyjoe
all in favor?

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Originally posted by Basstrap:
Wankers?!?!?! every song is perfect.
The only questiponable stuff is the early early stuff where everything sounds like beatles songs gone all wrong.
Oh arnold layne....

I vote for a deportation of holyjoe
all in favor?

Yeah DEPORT HOLY JOE...THE WALL is the second best rock album after THE JOSHUA
TREE

The Wall

Can't choose one:
Us and Them
Time
Comfortably Numb
Echoes

------------------
MISTY MORNING, CLOUDS IN THE SKY
WITHOUT WARNING, THE WIZARD WALKS BY
CASTING HIS SHADOW, WEAVING HIS SPELL
FUNNY CLOTHES, TINKLING BELL

The Wall contains some great songs, but particularly the first disc is so damn boring, it always puts me asleep...

DSOTM has does also contain great songs, but please, don't tell me "The Great Gig In The Sky" is a great song - it's fucking pretentious, if anything...

BTW, Joshua Tree doesn't hold a candle to Boy, War, Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, Zooropa or even Pop
smile.gif

Originally posted by STING2:
U2 and Pink Floyd are close in concert populatirity, but U2 beats them out overall in popularity because U2 is a much stronger album selling act for new material from 1987 to the present.

While the Greatest Hits for Pink Floyd did well, it has not sold 3 million units in the USA. The Triple platinum award was given to the GH album, because RIAA counts both disc in each album package. So the GH Pink Floyd album actually only sold 1.5 million copies in the USA. Now according to Soundscan, Dark Side Of The Moon is selling more than the GH album.

The Final Cut, Momentary Lapse.. and Division Bell were not big sellers on the grand scale. Those are the only albums of new material that has been put out by Floyd since 1980. So Pink Floyds popularity was in the 1980s and 1990s very similar to the Rolling Stones, HUGE concert fan base with much smaller sales in albums. Pink Floyd is another band like the Stones that often sells more concert tickets than their latest album release.

Pink Floyd has not done anything actively as a band since 1994. After 8 years away, Dave Gilmore has stated that he thinks that the band is over. Its rather difficult to judge Floyds popularity in the current climate because they have not had a new album in 8 years and there is no tour, the band is essentially no more.

In terms of overall popularity, achievment or critical achievement regardless of the bands current status, I would say that U2 has passed Pink Floyd by. Pink Floyd has always been and looks like will continued to be, most known for their work from 1973-1979 on Dark Side... Wish You Were Here, Animals, and the Wall. Material released after that has not had anywhere near the selling power or critical approval that those albums had. In fact there are many Critics including Rolling Stone that have attacked Pink Floyds work without Roger giving albums like Momentary and Division Bell only 2 stars out of 5. U2 on the other hand has maintained a commercial and critical level that has kept them the #1 active band worldwide since 1987. 15 years at the top on a Global scale, longer than any other band in history.

Ahhh, Sting is always there with a fact-based, informative, well-thought and interesting post! Thanks for the insight...although I do sense an obvious U2-biasedness......

BTW, Joshua Tree doesn't hold a candle to Boy, War, Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, Zooropa or even Pop
smile.gif
[/B][/QUOTE]

Please explain what you mean by this....

Album: Wish You Were Here
Song(s): Wish You Were Here, Shine On, Comfortably Numb, Dogs, Run Like Hell. There's too many good ones to choose from.

Originally posted by MBH:

smile.gif

Please explain what you mean by this....[/B][/QUOTE]

JT's first three songs are as great as rock can get, but then we get such duds as Bullet The Blue Sky (which later on the ZOOTV-tour morphed into a great live-song), Mothers of the Disappeared (which, frankly, is the worst album-closer in the band's career).

Generally, the album just doesn't excite me anymore at all.
I see some great song-writing, but IMHO, the album isn't as consistent as the ones mentioned above.

You don't like Mothers?!?!?

I get the feeling your not a fan of slow relaxing mello music. I.e finds the Wall boring and so forth.

I love music that puts me to sleep with nice guitars and melodies and such.
But thats me

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

I absolutely love Pink Floyd.

I remember I went through a period in college (way back when) when a bunch of my friends and myself would end the night by popping in The Wall on VHS. Needless to say there was some wacky tobacky being passed around and we tried to get as far as we could throught the movie.

This pretty much occurred every night for a couple of months and the same thing happened every time. Every single person would pass out strewn all over the room, and we would have to stop the tape (usually about 45 minutes into thte movie.)

As a symbol of our stupidity we would always rewinid the tape and start it over again the next night.

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen the beginning to The Wall. it must be in the hundreds.

Oh - and I just have to say that when I finally got to see the band on the Division Bell tour I thought they were astounding live. Truly a spectacle to see.

Originally posted by holyjoe5:
JT's first three songs are as great as rock can get, but then we get such duds as Bullet The Blue Sky (which later on the ZOOTV-tour morphed into a great live-song), Mothers of the Disappeared (which, frankly, is the worst album-closer in the band's career).

Generally, the album just doesn't excite me anymore at all.
I see some great song-writing, but IMHO, the album isn't as consistent as the ones mentioned above.

Bullet the Blue Sky, a dud?!? You've got to be kidding me, right? BTBS arguably is U2's best pure ROCK song. IT has great guitars, meaningful lyrics, thumping drums, powerful base....and, as you mentioned, is one of if not their best live song....

I agree with you on some of the other points, especially the one about JT being inconsistent. Side A is one of the greatest, most complete sides to an album ever. Side B, although pure and lyrically more profound than Side A, doesn't seem to match the emotional factor to the preceeding side.

Over the years I have become fed up with JT at times b/c it seems that EVERYONE loved it, the first 3 songs are played out on the radio even to this day and JT marked U2's ascend to Worldwide glory. Although the worldwide success is coveted and appreciated, I sometimes miss having that feeling of retaining U2 to a more dedicated, passionate following. I guess you can't have it all.

One more thing, although many mainstream critics and fans alike consider JT one of the greatest and U2's best album, I strongly disagree. Achtung Baby is by far a more challenging, creative, lyrically diverse, ground-breaking, original and experimental album than JT. By creating AB, U2 did what practically every other band(Beatles not withstanding) would love to do but is unable to do: create a new sound and image, yet maintain enormous popularity. Becoming the BBITW is very difficult; maintaining that position is even harder.

With that said, they are both 2 of the greatest ever....

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 05-23-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom