Pink Floyd: Better Than U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
typhoon said:
Are you people insane? You both thought "Several Species of Animals Gathered In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of...With A Pict" or whatever the fuck was rubbish, Winnie thinks "Sysyphus" and "The Narrow Way" are worse, yet NEITHER OF YOU HAS A PROBLEM WITH THE 10+ MINUTE DRUM SOLO?!

what is so bad about drum solo , larry can't even drum properly , let alone compose or sing
it's not rubbish , it's a concept by Roger Waters
Narrow way is bad musically and gilmour 's " brilliant " lyrics do not help much
Sysyphus , you can compose it while banging the piano with your head 35 times

making good drum solo is much better then selling albums with nostalgic garbage , smoking expensive cigars and talk about global poverty at the same time

WinnieThePoo said:

making good drum solo is much better then selling albums with nostalgic garbage , smoking expensive cigars and talk about global poverty at the same time

No it's not. Drum solos suck.:mad:

Well said Lance, agree with you

"No one has ever come close to being as passionate or inspiring or powerful as U2 is with their music"

Very true

The Beatles may be the most influential

But U2 is the greatest band ever.

And the greatest "live" band ever, a place where a great band should really live.

WinnieThePoo said:

what is so bad about drum solo , larry can't even drum properly , let alone compose or sing
Narrow way is bad musically and gilmour 's " brilliant " lyrics do not help much
Sysyphus , you can compose it while banging the piano with your head 35 times

Nah, I think with Larry it's a matter of the will, not ability. He probably can drum properly, *was in a marching band, also must have learned some "proper" drumming from his drum teachers*, but he just chooses not to, and does his own thing. Think he can read music, like without tablature.

-----------

U2 is definitely a better live band the Beatles, at least U2 seem to enjoy touring more than the Beatles.

Last edited:
WinnieThePoo said:

larry can't even drum properly

you are an idiot.

anyways, pink floyd made one of the greatest albums ever, DSOTM of course.

however, they followed that with the most over rated piece of shit music movie ever: the wall.

yeah, I know the record came out first, but the movie completely ruins the album for me. rubbish.

anyways, u2 are better overall, and for fuck's sake pink floyd doesn't have one uptempo song.

JOFO said:

you are an idiot.

anyways, pink floyd made one of the greatest albums ever, DSOTM of course.

however, they followed that with the most over rated piece of shit music movie ever: the wall.

yeah, I know the record came out first, but the movie completely ruins the album for me. rubbish.

anyways, u2 are better overall, and for fuck's sake pink floyd doesn't have one uptempo song.

They followed up DSOTM with Wish You Were Here, another brilliant album. And Pink Floyd does have some uptempo songs (Run Like Hell, One of These Days, Young Lust, On the Run, Sheep). I prefer U2, but people can easily argue either way.

Someone name me a U2 song greater live than Comfortably Numb, or Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

:crickets:

:tumbleweed:

The only thing that comes remotely close is Streets live. That's it.

I suggest all of you go out and see the Australian Pink Floyd show when they go on tour. Unless the guys get back together it's the absolute closest you'll ever come to seeing PF live.

I shit you not, I had a spiritual moment during the Comfortably Numb solo.

Dark Side - Wish You Were Here - Animals - The Wall
this is it , perfect in everything , lyrics , you got it , songs , you can have them , visuals .....

:ohmy:

Dave gilmore is a real guitar player!!!!!!

edge cant even bend a string let alone play a solo!!!!!

pink floyed all the way!!!!!!!!!!!
but u2 do have some great songs!!!! AB zootv live is great!

shaun vox said:
Dave gilmore is a real guitar player!!!!!!

Indeed. But please spell Gilmour correctly.

edge cant even bend a string let alone play a solo!!!!!

Edge and DG have completely different playing styles though. That's like comparing Slash to Django Reinhardt. It doesn't work.

pink floyed all the way!!!!!!!!!!!
but u2 do have some great songs!!!! AB zootv live is great!

Please don't ever say "floyed" again. :wink:

DaveC said:
Someone name me a U2 song greater live than Comfortably Numb, or Shine On You Crazy Diamond.
Right, so Gilmour plays "Comfortably Numb" with an extra-long, extra-wanky solo live (pretty much the same extended solo every night too), and they play everything else, including "Shine On," pretty much exactly like they did in the studio, and that's supposed to whup ZooTV?

By The Wall, they became a boring live band that had to make up for playing note-for-note duplicates of their studio work with flashy pyrotechnics and light effects. By the Division Bell tour, they had enough extra players on stage to make an extra Pink Floyd or two. Not impressed.

Before that, they actually improvised a bit and were fairly interesting (although most of the pre-Wall bootlegs I've heard have horrible quality, so it's hard to judge), but still never made anything that could compete with U2 on emotional grandeur.

"Streets" live owns anything they could play live. They may as well throw the damn LP on live and just surround it with flashy effects.
First of all, Roger Waters is a pretentious git who should get over his high-and-mighty concepts (which are all ultimately about the war anyway) and just make some damn music. You seem to imply that being a "Roger Waters concept" disqualifies it from being rubbish. Hey, throw on Radio KAOS and say that again with a straight face.

Second, the drum solo was Nick Mason's work. Mason is an average drummer at best (likewise, Wright wasn't an extraordinary keyboard player and Waters was barely competent at bass; the only person in the band with any exceptional musical ability is David Gilmour). Waters may have had the idea to give each member half an LP for Ummagumma (I've never seen this attributed to him personally), but that's it.

And even if it somehow was a brilliant idea, that hardly makes it any fun to listen to. I'm sorry if this music is too brilliant to be enjoyable.

You people seem to mistake "complexity" with "greatness." If that were the case, we'd all be listening to Spock's Beard or some shit.

And the Beatles are still better.

Last edited:
typhoon said:

Right, so Gilmour plays "Comfortably Numb" with an extra-long, extra-wanky solo live (pretty much the same extended solo every night too), and they play everything else, including "Shine On," pretty much exactly like they did in the studio, and that's supposed to whup ZooTV?

Hell, by the Division Bell tour, they had enough extra players on stage to make an extra Pink Floyd or two. By The Wall, they became a boring live band that had to make up for playing note-for-note duplicates of their studio work with flashy pyrotechnics and light effects. Big fucking deal.

Note for note? Have you fucking seen the PULSE concert? I fail to see how a 9-minute version of a song (Comfortably Numb) live can be called a note-for-note rendition when the original is only 4 minutes.

Before that, they actually improvised a bit and were fairly interesting (although most of the pre-Wall bootlegs I've heard have horrible quality, so it's hard to judge), but still never made anything that could compete with U2 on emotional grandeur.

"Streets" live owns anything they could play live. They may as well throw the damn LP on live and just surround it with flashy effects.

You've never heard much in the way of RoIO's from The Division Bell tour have you? Granted, the officially released shows are very close to the original renditions, simply because they were intended for release. It's the same with U2, they'll play a more standardised setlist if they intend to release the show onto DVD. On the non-officially taped shows, they played things like More Blues, which is an entirely improvised Blues jam. Hell, Pink Floyd invented the concept of the jam session.

First of all, Roger Waters is a pretentious git who should get over his high-and-mighty concepts (which are all ultimately about the war anyway) and just make some damn music. You seem to imply that being a "Roger Waters concept" disqualifies it from being rubbish. Hey, throw on Radio KAOS and say that again with a straight face.

Roger Waters' war concepts are about his dad getting killed when he was just born in Anzio. I think you'd have some fucking issues too if that happened to you.

Roger Waters has written consistently good, if not great music over the years. Sure, KAOS wasn't his high point, but there were some good songs on there (see The Tide is Turning). I think artists are allowed to have one album that doesn't stand out as well as prior material. See POP if you want to know more.

Second, the drum solo was Nick Mason's work. Mason is an average drummer at best (likewise, Wright wasn't an extraordinary keyboard player and Waters was barely competent at bass; the only person in the band with any exceptional musical ability is David Gilmour). Waters may have had the idea to give each member half an LP for Ummagumma (I've never seen this attributed to him personally), but that's it.

Waters did come up with the idea.

Mason is a far better drummer than Larry Mullen is. I'd like to see Larry sustain the beat in A Saucerful of Secrets, or do something like Nick did in One of These Days (check the Pompeii DVD). Although I do agree that Roger Waters isn't stellar on the bass.

And even if it somehow was a brilliant idea, that hardly makes it any fun to listen to. I'm sorry if this music is too brilliant to be enjoyable.

I'm sorry if you've got a stick jammed too far up your ass to be able to appreciate good music when you hear it. You sound to me like one of those people who's all uppity that Pink Floyd has been eternally loved since their inception, and that you've had a favorite band who isn't popular anymore.

:wave:

Last edited:
DaveC said:
Note for note? Have you fucking seen the PULSE concert? I fail to see how a 9-minute version of a song (Comfortably Numb) live can be called a note-for-note rendition when the original is only 4 minutes.
Yes, I've seen Pulse and even said "Comfortably Numb" was an exception (even though, as I also said, he plays pretty much the same extended solo every night, but then, U2 doesn't mix it up much over the course of a tour either). And yes, it's quite good, but not really life-changing stuff.
You've never heard much in the way of RoIO's from The Division Bell tour have you? Granted, the officially released shows are very close to the original renditions, simply because they were intended for release. It's the same with U2, they'll play a more standardised setlist if they intend to release the show onto DVD. On the non-officially taped shows, they played things like More Blues, which is an entirely improvised Blues jam. Hell, Pink Floyd invented the concept of the jam session.
Yes, I have several Pink Floyd bootlegs. With regards to the Division Bell, there are some setlist changes across them (the Turino show has "Take It Back" and "Brothers In Ar"--I mean, "On the Turning Away," for instance, neither of which is on Pulse). Nothing that really turns them into the Grateful Dead, but whatever.

An occasional jam is nice too but hardly affects the power and impact of a show, which is the area they lag behind U2. Their shows are far too distant and calculated as a whole. I'd take them more seriously if they could smirk a little and play "Party Girl" every now and again.

And Pink Floyd invented the jam session? How about jazz and the blues, which both existed well before 1967 and which basically created rock and roll? What's your definition of a jam session if not a bunch of musicians getting together and improvising, the heart of both genres?
Roger Waters' war concepts are about his dad getting killed when he was just born in Anzio.
I'm familiar with him.
Roger Waters has written consistently good, if not great music over the years. Sure, KAOS wasn't his high point, but there were some good songs on there (see The Tide is Turning). I think artists are allowed to have one album that doesn't stand out as well as prior material. See POP if you want to know more.
I also thought The Wall and The Final Cut would've been better without the stupid concepts (and with some help from Gilmour; actually, since Wish You Were Here, Waters has had his head too far up his ass to realize he can't do it all by himself, and his music has suffered consistently since then, even if it has had some highlights).
I'm sorry if you've got a stick jammed too far up your ass to be able to appreciate good music when you hear it. You sound to me like one of those people who's all uppity that Pink Floyd has been eternally loved since their inception, and that you've had a favorite band who isn't popular anymore.
What's my favorite band? U2 or the Beatles? Both are still very popular. And I'm a huge Floyd fan, I'm just willing to criticize them.

They weren't a very interesting live band. Their work was too closely tied to their original arrangements, and they took themselves too seriously. The move to giant stadiums didn't help. Gilmour's recent live DVD is much more interesting than Pulse.

They did some great stuff in the studio, but they were always too aloof to create anything personal and affecting. We're talking about a band that never recorded a single cover song. We're talking about a band Roger Waters described more or less like, "We were never good friends, we just worked well together." A simple but moving Dylan rip-off like "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" is always going to mean more to me than a technically awesome but emotionally cold masterpiece like "Echoes."

Last edited:
typhoon said:

Yes, I've seen Pulse and even said "Comfortably Numb" was an exception (even though, as I also said, he plays pretty much the same extended solo every night, but then, U2 doesn't mix it up much over the course of a tour either). And yes, it's quite good, but not really life-changing stuff.

Yes, I have several Pink Floyd bootlegs. With regards to the Division Bell, there are some setlist changes across them (the Turino show has "Take It Back" and "Brothers In Ar"--I mean, "On the Turning Away," for instance, neither of which is on Pulse). Nothing that really turns them into the Grateful Dead, but whatever.

An occasional jam is nice too but hardly affects the power and impact of a show, which is the area they lag behind U2. Their shows are far too distant and calculated as a whole. I'd take them more seriously if they could smirk a little and play "Party Girl" every now and again.

And Pink Floyd invented the jam session? How about jazz and the blues, which both existed well before 1967 and which basically created rock and roll? What's your definition of a jam session if not a bunch of musicians getting together and improvising, the heart of both genres?

I'm familiar with him.

I also thought The Wall and The Final Cut would've been better without the stupid concepts (and with some help from Gilmour; actually, since Wish You Were Here, Waters has had his head too far up his ass to realize he can't do it all by himself, and his music has suffered consistently since then, even if it has had some highlights).

What's my favorite band? U2 or the Beatles? Both are still very popular. And I'm a huge Floyd fan, I'm just willing to criticize them.

They weren't a very interesting live band. Their work was too closely tied to their original arrangements, and they took themselves too seriously. The move to giant stadiums didn't help. Gilmour's recent live DVD is much more interesting than Pulse.

They did some great stuff in the studio, but they were always too aloof to create anything personal and affecting. We're talking about a band that never recorded a single cover song. We're talking about a band Roger Waters described more or less like, "We were never good friends, we just worked well together." A simple but moving Dylan rip-off like "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" is always going to mean more to me than a technically awesome but emotionally cold masterpiece like "Echoes."

personal and affecting ????!!!!
roger Waters opened his soul while recording The Wall & The Final Cut
PF were always personal
how many good songs Glimour wrote ????
Roger managed to write entire albums
what about Wish You Were Here ???
IF ????

WinnieThePoo said:

Originally posted by typhoon

I'm familiar with him.

personal and affecting ????!!!!
roger Waters opened his soul while recording The Wall & The Final Cut
PF were always personal
how many good songs Glimour wrote ????
Roger managed to write entire albums
what about Wish You Were Here ???
IF ????
OMG QUOTE PYRAMID.

as others have said, it's all about opinions. Pink Floyd are in my top 5 and I love them, got every one of their albums....but u2 are my favorite band in the world. Listening to a Floyd album for me is like an experience, but I have to be in a certain mood.

I think u2 are the greatest band ever.
I think Pink Floyd are incredible but I think Led is better.
I think u2 do have songs that are as good or better than "comfortably numb."
I think Bonham is the best drummer I've ever heard.
I think "Dark Side of the Moon" maybe the greatest album I've ever heard.

All opinions. Apples and Oranges. For people who think Floyd is better, more power to them. Trust me, got a lot of friends who have that arguement :up:

Last edited:
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish these bands didnt create music that we all have a fucking fight over....

I love Pink floyd as well....Ive listened to em since i was a youngster...
I dont think they are better than u2...they are paralelled....
i think pink floyd is more psychadelic...and dreamy ...definately music you can escape to...
were bong hits done during recording sessions? I think everyone knows the answer to that one ..amongst other things..but thats allright...
u2's music has more of an awakening sort of feel...
they are always in bloom
a revival if you will

flying fu man chu.....
to listen to dark side of the moon proper...you need to lay on your bed in total darkness......and just listen....
dont tap away at the keyboard...or other things...
sparkin a J wouldnt hurt ...but its not necessary...; )

Last edited:
DaveC said:

Hell, Pink Floyd invented the concept of the jam session.

:lmao:

what are you, like 12?

go learn something about music history before you pronounce bold and inaccurate statements like that. "Jam sessions" have been around a hell of a lot longer than pink floyd.

shaun vox said:
thats how we americans speek!!!!!!!!!:wink:

not all of us, bunghole.

and btw, go watch the solo on BTBS on the zootv concert you're so fond of if you'd like a demonstration of edge "bending" a string.

Back
Top Bottom