Pink Floyd: Better Than U2 - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 10-15-2004, 05:14 PM   #31
Local Time: 07:48 PM
Floyd had that magic period , 1967-1983 , all in all = best s"&*t done by a rock'n'roll band , however the stuff done after , bitter divorce between Mr Gilmour and Mr waTERs , brrrrrr....

Old 10-15-2004, 10:22 PM   #32
Local Time: 03:48 PM
I love Pink Floyd. When describing Pink Floyd the term that comes to mind is avant gard. I do not think U2 is avant gard I think they are more provacative, complex rock and roll. Personally, I love U2 more, but it is just a matter of taste.

Old 10-16-2004, 02:42 AM   #33
Local Time: 12:48 AM
Re: Pink Floyd: Better Than U2

Originally posted by discothequeLP
U2 is my favorite band of all, and will always be.

But Pink Floyd is better. Their albums are works of art. No other albums can compare to The Wall, Wish You Were Here, and Dark Side of the Moon. Hell, Pink Floyd even made Dark Side of the Moon a soundtrack to the Wizard of Oz!

I've seen this before, but...

Pink Floyd > (insert deity here)

Early Pink Floyd is great, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is kickass clangy psychedelia but their '70s stuff and on is too bloated and pedestrian, not to mention that they took themselves far too seriously.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:45 AM   #34
Originally posted by brettig
Rock will always win out over prog. Pink Floyd had its moments but much of it is self-important rubbish. There's plenty of skill sure, but very little joy or life affirming fun to it.

Perfect example is the Final Cut - Roger we can tell you're a fine musician but enough sour grapes about the war already...

Agreed...prog is horrible and totally un rockand roll..give me inpspiration and energy over guitar skill and tortuous song structures any day!
Old 10-16-2004, 10:57 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 03:48 PM
Love them both but at least the members of U2 still talk to each other
Old 10-16-2004, 02:36 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict
Old 10-16-2004, 03:51 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Thank you, brettig. I've always felt Pink Floyd lacked passion and soul.
It's just how I feel.

I work with a huge Pink Floyd fan, and just this past week, I spent a couple of days listening to their stuff non-stop and it just didn't move me. I didn't feel it really relevant to me today and while some songs are utterly brilliant, I would not say they are "better" than U2, nor that they are the best there ever was.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:44 AM   #38
War Child
Local Time: 09:48 AM
The Wall is better than any album by U2, but U2 have a more impressive full catalouge.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:48 PM   #39
Blue Meth Addict
Local Time: 06:48 PM
I enjoy their stuff, but I have to be in the right mood.

On a side note, I havent been in the right mood for quite a while. (with the exception of being addicted to 'Wish You Were Here' earlier this year)

Regardless, they were certainly a very talented band who made some important music.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:06 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:48 PM
The other night, my friends and I were driving home from Columbus, an hour drive. My friend puts on dark side of the moon. We were all partying with friends at OSU, so it was late and I was worn out. It was also raining.

Given these circumstances, imagine trying to keep awake during all this while listening to Dark Side of the Moon. That album just made me want to fall asleep at the wheel (see Simpsons episode where homer falls asleep at the wheel and dreams that he is driving a big bed.) As soon as my friends passed out/fell asleep, I put on Achtung Baby. That got me back up and got me home.

I dunno, 10 minutes of organized noises doesn't compare to a song like "One" or "Until the end of the world."
Old 01-31-2005, 10:35 PM   #41
Local Time: 04:48 PM
I have to say that I grew up with pink Floyd in grade school. I was never a huge fan but I do love their music. They came out at a very different time in the world. I have never considered their music very spiritual unless I was high off my ass. U2 have always been a band that I enjoy listening to completely sober. The last concert i saw was Elevation in Arizonia and it was my first time stoned at a U2 concert and my last. I pray that I get tickets some how. I want to take in every second of this tour coming up.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:46 PM   #42
Local Time: 11:48 PM
pink floyd was great from drugs, U2 is great from there heart

There both great bands- but U2 takes it all the way
Old 01-31-2005, 11:19 PM   #43
New Yorker
Local Time: 05:48 PM
I have every Pink Floyd album, I have every U2 album, I have every Radiohead album, this discussion is pointless, they all suck compared to the Beatles.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:14 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Originally posted by typhoon
I have every Pink Floyd album, I have every U2 album, I have every Radiohead album, this discussion is pointless, they all suck compared to the Beatles.
Don't do it, lol theres bound to be a Led Zep maniac round here somewhere aswell Pink Floyd are great granted I only have the Wall and Dark Side of The Moon but I prefer The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby as albums, yes as Albums, full cohesive works of Art infact right now it probably works like this I PREFER U2'S GREAT WORK TO THE FLOYD'S BUT SGT PEPPER@S LONELY HEARTS CLUB OWNS ALL, lol jk
Old 02-01-2005, 12:53 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
How did this thread pass me by!!?

Oh well..U2 are my faves, Pink Floyd rank very closely behind tho. Without including Dark Side, Animals, Final Cut and Division Bell would be my top 3 of theirs.

For gods sake! Sort out your differences and get on the road 1 last time!!