Pink Floyd Best Song Survivor: Round One - A Saucerful of Secrets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your LEAST favourite song!

• Let There Be More Light

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remember a Day

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

• Corporal Clegg

• A Saucerful of Secrets

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • See-Saw

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Jugband Blues

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobl04

45:33
Astronomy Domine was adjudged not as good as Lucifer Sam, meaning the song about cats goes through to the finals. Yay! :hyper:

Votes:
Astonomy Domine - 9
Lucifer Sam - 6
Total - 15

Songs eliminated so far:
6. Astronomy Domine
5. Interstellar Overdrive
4. Flaming
3. Matilda Mother
=2. Take up Thy Stethoscope and Walk
=2. The Gnome
=2. Chapter 24
=2. The Scarecrow
=2. Bike
1. Pow R. Toc H.

Finalists:
Piper at the Gates of Dawn -
Lucifer Sam

The first round of a saucerful to come. Polls are open for a day. Enjoy the shit out of it! :D

Dunno about the rest of you, but I really like Set the Controls. when I think of Pink Floyd, that song comes to mind. And just a few discussion points.

I bought Live at Pompeii the other day, if someone would like to explain to me what the thing is, that'd be great. I thought it was a concert.
And when was Barrett's last album?

See-Saw. Dull, dull, dull, dull.

Set The Controls is great. It's Nick Mason's favourite Pink Floyd song, by the way! Live at Pompeii is still essentially a concert in that live music is being played...only there's no people there. It was a film meant to showcase Pink Floyd's live musical prowess, set in the iconic Pompeii ampitheatre. One of the best performance films ever, IMO.

Barrett's last album with Pink Floyd, or his last solo album?

The background imagery for Set the Controls on Roger's last tour was incredible. That song is certainly the best one here.
Just as a suggestion, is it possible to combine the various sections of the Ummagumma songs into one piece? For instance, I don't see too much efficacy in pitting The Grand Vizier's Garden Party part 1 against its parts 2 and 3 complements.

The title track. It's incredibly boring.

Must say, looking over the track listing, I prefer this album to PATGOD. Remember A Day is gorgeous.

cdisantis83 said:
The background imagery for Set the Controls on Roger's last tour was incredible. That song is certainly the best one here.
Just as a suggestion, is it possible to combine the various sections of the Ummagumma songs into one piece? For instance, I don't see too much efficacy in pitting The Grand Vizier's Garden Party part 1 against its parts 2 and 3 complements.

Hell yes!

IMG_0734.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool: Loved the beginning, too, with the rising ring of fire that harkened back to the flaming gong that Roger used to use with the Floyd. Speaking of Roger's more recent versions of Set The Controls, Snowy's solos towards the end are nothing short of incredible. I believe the guitarist for Aussie Floyd gives him a run for his money, though! Check out this solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj-WCfNnaL4 ( :faint: ) Wah heaven.

I agree that the Ummagumma pieces should be combined. It would be pointless voting for each part, particularly when it comes to Rick and Nick's stuff. Personally, I feel Nick's work should be immediately disqualified anyway, on the grounds of being bloody awful. :wink:

I never understood why people find See Saw dull. I like it. It's dreamy and has a nice swing to it. Wright does a good job and the lyrics are kinda odd but not terrible or anything. I love how the music alternates between the left and right channel at the end of the verses.

I guess I'll vote for the title track only cos it's dragging in parts. But once the drums kick in, the song friggin rocks! And the ending is beautiful.

Overall, I hope Remember A Day wins this. But I wouldn't mind if Jugband Blues won. :wink:

and the sea isn't green... :drool:

Has anyone else seen the impending studio box set? The damn thing looks amazing, and apparently will include all the studio albums in their original LP designs, plus a bonus DVD.

GibsonGirl said:

Hell yes!

:drool: :drool: :drool: Loved the beginning, too, with the rising ring of fire that harkened back to the flaming gong that Roger used to use with the Floyd. Speaking of Roger's more recent versions of Set The Controls, Snowy's solos towards the end are nothing short of incredible. I believe the guitarist for Aussie Floyd gives him a run for his money, though! Check out this solo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj-WCfNnaL4 ( :faint: ) Wah heaven.

Unreal. :drool:

cdisantis83 said:
Has anyone else seen the impending studio box set? The damn thing looks amazing, and apparently will include all the studio albums in their original LP designs, plus a bonus DVD.

I read about it, but I haven't seen any pictures of it or anything, if that's what you were implying.

Supposed to be out sometime in November. Just in time for the holidays...

COBL_04 said:
The pieces from Ummagumma will be combined, it just makes it even more pointless and tedious if they aren't.

The Grand Vizier's Garden Party, Part Three > life

Last edited:
Y'all better kick out Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict early. I sure as hell don't wanna keep writing it. :lol:

I hate Ummagumma with a passion, so I'd vote for all of it to be gone immediately except for Grantchester Meadows and The Narrow Way trio.

Of course, the live record is much better.

I did a several-page review of Ummagumma a while back. I said that one of its pros was that pretty much anyone who listened to it could make a superior album. I guess that kind of puts it all into perspective. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:
See-Saw. Dull, dull, dull, dull.

Set The Controls is great. It's Nick Mason's favourite Pink Floyd song, by the way! Live at Pompeii is still essentially a concert in that live music is being played...only there's no people there. It was a film meant to showcase Pink Floyd's live musical prowess, set in the iconic Pompeii ampitheatre. One of the best performance films ever, IMO.

Barrett's last album with Pink Floyd, or his last solo album?

Thanks for the info. I was watching it the other night, and I was captivated, especially by Echoes and the start of A Saucerful.

Barrett's last album with Floyd was what I was after.

I was reading today Rockopedia, and according to that book after the releases of Meddle and Dark Side I think it was they put in many apparently very average live performances for a long while, which was a little disheartening to read.

Dark Side is still my favourite Floyd record so far. :drool:

Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Meddle
The Wall

at this stage. I think The Wall's gonna take a while. :lol:

The Wall is so good :drool: It'll be worth taking the time to vote off every song. I'm betting Stop will be up there at the end. :up:

Right there with Outside the Wall.

The songs I've liked so far: In the Flesh?, Another Brick (1, 2 and 3), Mother, Goodbye Blue Sky, Young Lust, One of My Turns, Hey You, Vera, Comfortably Numb, The Show Must Go On, In the Flesh, Run Like Hell.

There's a lot of songs there where I'm not a fan of the first 80% of them, but the last 20% is awesome.

I thought Roger's vocals on the Wall were awful on first listen. Then it sunk in that it was meant to represent Pink at his most wild, unhinged, and broken (see Don't Leave Me Now).

Mother and Goodbye Blue Sky's lyrics really creeped me out when I first heard them. Probably because I was 12 when I first heard the Wall. It wasn't pleasant, but I'm glad I did it. That one really stuck with me.

You'll warm up to it all eventually. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom