Pink Floyd Best Song Survivor: Round Four - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your LEAST favourite song!

• Astronomy Domine

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Lucifer Sam

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Flaming

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Interstellar Overdrive

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobl04

45:33
Thanks to Lemel's last minute vote we did not have another multi-elimination, instead this time Matilda Mother getting the boot.

Votes:
Matilda Mother - 7
Flaming - 6
Total - 13

Eliminated so far:
3. Matilda Mother
=2. Take up Thy Stethoscope and Walk
=2. The Gnome
=2. Chapter 24
=2. The Scarecrow
=2. Bike
1. Pow R. Toc H.

Round Four now, vote for your least favourite song. Polls are open for one day.

Flaming's about to get its arse kicked, though I was somewhat tempted to vote for Lucifer Sam. Definitely in the next round.

I still can't believe Bike went so early. Besides Astronomy Domine, it's the album's best song.

The Final Cut will be hardest. Why? Because every fucking song sucks!

Flaming's a great tune, but Lucifer Sam is much better.

ETA: Are you planning on doing the Wall as one album or two?? :hmm:

Axver said:

Be kind.:wink:
Fletcher Memorial Home
The Final Cut
Your Possible Pasts
These songs are all beautiful in an elegiac manner.

Axver said:

You mean A Momentary Lapse of Talent right?

Besides Sorrow, okay.

Sorry, I just had to try out my "repulsed" square of smilies. :wink: Terminal Frost isn't the worst on the album (that one's a tie between Learning To Fly and A New Machine) but I don't think it's anything to write home about. The AMLOR survivor is going to be so fun, because I'll be thrilled to see each song (with the sole exception of Sorrow) voted off. :hyper:

LemonMacPhisto said:
You mean A Momentary Lapse of Talent right?

Hell no. That at least has 2 or 3 good songs (Sorrow, Learning To Fly, On The Turning Away). The Final Cut, just like The Wall and Waters' solo work, bores the living daylights out of me. I may not even vote because I can't think of which song's which as they all blur into a mass of dullness and I'm not sure I really feel like listening to the album again.

GibsonGirl said:
Sorry, I just had to try out my "repulsed" square of smilies. :wink: Terminal Frost isn't the worst on the album (that one's a tie between Learning To Fly and A New Machine) but I don't think it's anything to write home about. The AMLOR survivor is going to be so fun, because I'll be thrilled to see each song (with the sole exception of Sorrow) voted off. :hyper:

To be honest, I cannot explain exactly why I enjoy "Terminal Frost." I suppose that it is a guilty pleasure of sorts. I would also say that "A New Machine" is probably the second weakest song in Floyd's catalogue, behind only "If."

cdisantis83 said:
To be honest, I cannot explain exactly why I enjoy "Terminal Frost." I suppose that it is a guilty pleasure of sorts.

Why should it be a guilty pleasure? :scratch: I love Terminal Frost! It creates an awesome mental image of snow and ice caked landscape in winter.

Axver said:

Hell no. That at least has 2 or 3 good songs (Sorrow, Learning To Fly, On The Turning Away). The Final Cut, just like The Wall and Waters' solo work, bores the living daylights out of me. I may not even vote because I can't think of which song's which as they all blur into a mass of dullness and I'm not sure I really feel like listening to the album again.

Well, agree to disagree.

The Gunner's Dream, The Final Cut, Not Now John alone beat any song off of Lapse of Talent any day.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Well, agree to disagree.

The Gunner's Dream, The Final Cut, Not Now John alone beat any song off of Lapse of Talent any day.

:up: :up: :up:

Although I might take Not Now John out of that equation, personally speaking. Maybe I'd substitute Your Possible Pasts in there instead. Or maybe even Two Suns In The Sunset (if only for "the rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in / gives way and suddenly it's day again").

Some days, The Gunner's Dream switches places with Sheep when it comes to my personal rankings of Pink Floyd songs. I think it's probably the most beautiful thing Roger ever wrote.

"And everyone has recourse to the law
And no-one kills the children anymore"

Absolute perfection of a song.

I like 'em both equally, but I've gotta be in the mood for Sorrow. Not Now John I can listen to whenever.

Fuck all that!

LemonMacPhisto said:
I love the scream to instrument fades in Gunner's and Sheep.

:love:

You know, this is very interesting. :hmm: I never thought about that before. My top two Floyd songs both feature vocals that fade into an instrument holding the same note. And - holy shit - my favourite crossfade parts both involve the word dream! :ohmy: "...hold on to the dream" / "...out of obscurity into the dream"

That's. Weird.

GibsonGirl said:

Some days, The Gunner's Dream switches places with Sheep when it comes to my personal rankings of Pink Floyd songs. I think it's probably the most beautiful thing Roger ever wrote.

"And everyone has recourse to the law
And no-one kills the children anymore"

Absolute perfection of a song.

That song is a lyrical masterpiece, as is "The Final Cut."

Thought I ought to bare my naked feelings
Thought I ought to tear the curtain down
I held the blade in trembling hands
And prepared to make it but...
Just then the phone rang
I never had the nerve to make the final cut.

The sheer emotive power of those lines is simply incredible.

cdisantis83 said:

That song is a lyrical masterpiece, as is "The Final Cut."

Thought I ought to bare my naked feelings
Thought I ought to tear the curtain down
I held the blade in trembling hands
And prepared to make it but...
Just then the phone rang
I never had the nerve to make the final cut.

The sheer emotive power of those lines is simply incredible.

Oh god. I simply cannot listen to The Final Cut (the song) on a bad day. Simply cannot. That's another one that's sheer perfection. There's so much pain in that vocal delivery. "Thought I ought to tear the curtain down..." It's even tougher listening to the final demo version (from "The Final Cutting" - highly recommended if you haven't heard it before). Hearing his voice crack at certain parts is just...can't even describe it. I'd actually listen to the demo version more than the one on the album if the LP-to-FLAC conversion had been slightly better.

I love it, this thread has gone from ranking Piper songs to the emotive quality of The Final Cut. :love:

And I really should be finishing my psychology paper. :uhoh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom