Pink Floyd Best Song Survivor: Round 4 - More

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your LEAST favourite song!

• Cirrus Minor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Nile Song

• Crying Song

• Green is the Colur

• Cymbaline

• Main Theme

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Ibiza Bar

• Dramatic Theme

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobl04

45:33
Up the Khyber was sent down the river.

Votes:
Up the Khyber - 5
Green is the Colour - 2
The Nile Song, Main Theme, Dramatic Theme - 1
Total votes: 10

Songs eliminated so far:
21. Up the Khyber
=18. More Blues
=18. A Spanish Piece
=18. Quicksilver
17. Party Sequence
16. Let There Be More Light
15. Jugband Blues
14. Remember a Day
13. A Saucerful of Secrets
12. Corporal Clegg
11. See-Saw
10. Astronomy Domine
9. Interstellar Overdrive
8. Flaming
7. Matilda Mother
=2. Take up Thy Stethoscope and Walk
=2. The Gnome
=2. Chapter 24
=2. The Scarecrow
=2. Bike
1. Pow R. Toc H.

Finalists:
Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Lucifer Sam
A Saucerful of Secrets - Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Round four of More now, polls open for a day. :love:

Shall we just close this after the ten regulars vote? :wink:

:lol: Might as well.

Hopefully we hit mid-20s as we get to Meddle, Dark Side, etc. We should. I mean, even if you're not a Pink Floyd fan, there'll be a lot of people who have at least Dark Side or The Wall.

A bold PF assertion:

Wish You Were Here is PF's best record. The title track is beautiful, SOYCD is mind-blowing, and HAC has a killer riff.

The Wall is PF's second best record.

Dark Side Of The Moon, while a good record, is overrated, and only PF's third best record.

COBL_04 said:
Hopefully we hit mid-20s as we get to Meddle, Dark Side, etc. We should. I mean, even if you're not a Pink Floyd fan, there'll be a lot of people who have at least Dark Side or The Wall.

I'm fairly confident that we'll get at least 30 voters for DSOTM. If you don't know those songs, you've been living under a rock. Probably everything from DSOTM to The Wall will poll strongly.

DaveC said:
Dramatic Theme this time. Main Theme is next.

Maybe we can rig up a double-elimination :hmm:

Sounds good to me and I hope it works out that way. I voted Dramatic Theme last round but went for Main Theme this time as I really can't decide which is more bland.

namkcuR said:
A bold PF assertion:

Wish You Were Here is PF's best record. The title track is beautiful, SOYCD is mind-blowing, and HAC has a killer riff.

Dark Side Of The Moon, while a good record, is overrated, and only PF's third best record.

I'll be even more bold. I agree that WYWH is the best album, with Animals a very, very, very close second (it was my #1 for a long time), Piper in third, and Atom Heart Mother fourth.

DSOTM is good, but way over-rated and only an average PF album. The Wall is utter shit, almost entirely dull, and the only worse PF album is The Final Cut. Before anyone asks "but what about AMLOR?", I have one word for you: Sorrow.

The Wall is not shit.

Comfortably Numb? Another Brick In The Wall Part 2? Hey You? Goodbye Blue Sky? Mother? Is There Anybody Out There?

namkcuR said:
A bold PF assertion:

My assertions (based on the four albums I have really listened to so far)

Wish You Were Here is probably their best album. It's almost flawless. WYWH, Shine On 1 and 2 are all 10/10s, with WTTM and HAC both about 8.5s.

Dark Side is still my favourite PF album however. Can't say why really. I'm just in love with it. Third favourite of all time, behind Achtung and JT.

The Wall is a grower... I can't decide yet which is my third favourite Floyd album out of Wall and Meddle.

Not too sure Axver how you can say The Wall is utter shit and almost enitrely dull. Explain yourself :wink:

namkcuR said:
The Wall is not shit.

Comfortably Numb? Another Brick In The Wall Part 2? Hey You? Goodbye Blue Sky? Mother? Is There Anybody Out There?

My qualifier, "almost entirely dull", was inserted to exclude the first three songs you mentioned there. Otherwise, it's an album whose actual musical quality is entirely overwhelmed by its concept. It is a long, boring, drawn out cure to insomnia. I have never once successfully listened to the entirety of The Wall, and not due to any lack of effort, I assure you. Just one half of it is more than enough. It's one of the worst albums any band I like has ever released. Hell, I'd rather listen to ATYCLB. At least it's only 50 or so minutes long.

Axver said:

My qualifier, "almost entirely dull", was inserted to exclude the first three songs you mentioned there. Otherwise, it's an album whose actual musical quality is entirely overwhelmed by its concept. It is a long, boring, drawn out cure to insomnia. I have never once successfully listened to the entirety of The Wall, and not due to any lack of effort, I assure you. Just one half of it is more than enough. It's one of the worst albums any band I like has ever released. Hell, I'd rather listen to ATYCLB. At least it's only 50 or so minutes long.

Ouch. I can vouch for it being dull in places, and also for the concept taking over the songs, but I can't go that far.

Oh, to be fair, I also think Run Like Hell isn't bad either.

But songs like The Trial are hideously poor.

The Wall is awesome! It just needs patience and you have to be in a certain mood to appreciate it. Despite Dark Side being overrated, it's still my #1 favorite. Stuff like the beginning of Breathe (how it kicks in after Speak To Me), the lyrics of Time, the awesome Breathe Reprise, the orgasmic Great Gig in the Sky, the entirely beautiful Us & Them, grand finale of Eclipse... nothing beats this. Not even WYWH, Animals, Wall etc. Nothing! IMO. :p

namkcuR said:
A bold PF assertion:

Many fans would agree with this assertion. For me, the ranking would be as follows:
1. Dark Side
2. WYWH
3. Animals
However, these three albums are so excellent that it is really more of a three-way tie, and I feel somewhat guilty ranking any of them higher than their counterparts.
Main Theme gets my vote for this round.

cdisantis83 said:
For me, the ranking would be as follows:
1. Dark Side
2. WYWH
3. Animals
However, these three albums are so excellent that it is really more of a three-way tie, and I feel somewhat guilty ranking any of them higher than their counterparts.

Yeah I think mine is similar.

1. Dark Side
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Animals
4. The Wall
5. The Division Bell

Depending on my mood, Div Bell goes up as much as #3. I love that frickin album! See, the thing with Animals is... I understand it's really well respected among fans and I love it too. But it is somewhat one-dimensional. The whole thing is only about that one theme.. the hierarchical structure of dogs, pigs and sheep and how it relates to humans. Whereas Dark Side has so many themes to offer... time, money, death, madness, war etc... I think that's why I prefer DSOTM despite the sheer awesomeness of Dogs and Sheep. As songs, I think I prefer both Dogs and Sheep to say, Money, Brain Damage or even Time depending on my mood. :ohmy:

Dramatic Theme for me. Main Theme is pretty cool actually.

BTW, Axver is full of it. The Wall kicks ass.

Zootlesque said:
The Wall is awesome! It just needs patience and you have to be in a certain mood to appreciate it. Despite Dark Side being overrated, it's still my #1 favorite. Stuff like the beginning of Breathe (how it kicks in after Speak To Me), the lyrics of Time, the awesome Breathe Reprise, the orgasmic Great Gig in the Sky, the entirely beautiful Us & Them, grand finale of Eclipse... nothing beats this. Not even WYWH, Animals, Wall etc. Nothing! IMO. :p

My reasons exactly. :yes:

I'm yet to find a piece of music I love as much as from the final verse & chorus of Brain Damage to "there is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact it's all dark".

And yes Axver - I too think The Trial is hideously poor as well. It's garbage.

:lmao: And now it's closed with no advance on six! Geez, Interference really loves More.

Well, at least Main and Dramatic Themes are both out of here. Nice work, folks. Let's move onto the next round and kick out Crying Song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom