Pilates - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2003, 09:13 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:02 AM
I think I've seen that machine advertised or pictured in Yoga Journal. If you had the money, that would be a sweet addition to your home furnishings!

Old 11-04-2003, 08:52 PM   #17
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 03:02 AM
Thanks for all the glowing reviews. I've been curious about Pilates for quite some time, but you all gave me the push to try it. I ordered the package deal from Winsor Pilates. Here's hoping it will help with my poundage gained in college!!

Old 11-04-2003, 09:22 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
verte> isn't it great to do something you enjoy and then months later realize you've lost weight doing it!
Yes! Also, when I got my arthritis diagnosis I started practicing t'ai chi again. That's a really gentle way to move your joints and relieve stress. Stress contributes *big time* to arthritis so it's important to do something about it.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:47 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:02 AM
I started doing cardio-fitness two months ago because my family has a history of heartdiseases and I was in terrible shape. After 8 weeks I gained 5 pounds while I always used to struggle to keep a healthy weight, my fat perecentage hasn't changed so that's a lot of muscle. My last test said my overall condition has increased by 36% I feel good!
Old 11-05-2003, 05:52 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Yes! Also, when I got my arthritis diagnosis I started practicing t'ai chi again. That's a really gentle way to move your joints and relieve stress. Stress contributes *big time* to arthritis so it's important to do something about it.
I have a little bit of arthritis, too (runs in the family) especially in my wrists, but I have found that so far I am able to control it through diet--for example, avoiding fatty foods and nightshade vegetables. One time I ate a lot of potato soup and the next day my wrist was swollen and sore. I made some fresh carrot juice (in a vegetable juicer) and the swelling went down almost immediately. I guess it depends on what kind of arthritis you have, though.

DrTeeth > yay for you!
Old 11-05-2003, 06:02 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

For anyone who doesn't know what pilates is all about, or have never seen a Reformer, here are some cool pics. I am still a beginner but I have done all of these (albeit not always well! They are not as hard as they look, though, and they feel amazing):

Old 11-09-2003, 06:54 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:02 AM
I thought pilates used those fitness balls. Is all the other equipment needed?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:19 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Meringue
There's a bunch of different kinds of pilates. Some classes use the machines, like in those pictures, the type that's on the Windsor tapes in mat work, which sometimes uses the physio-balls but most of the time uses no equipment at all.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:50 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:02 AM
When I took pilates classes the only equipment we used was a mat. That thing looks pretty cool if you have the $$.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:28 PM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 02:02 AM
I hate doing exercise... I don't know why
Old 11-11-2003, 05:58 PM   #26
Babyface

Local Time: 02:02 AM
I love Pilates too. I have done yoga in the past but I have to say, I prefer Pilates. I also play semi-competative co-ed volleyball...any other volleyball players out there?
Old 11-11-2003, 06:26 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Meringue
As dsmith said, there's a whole bunch of different kinds of pilates classes and equipment. My class is split between mat and machine exercises, using balls, foam logs, 'magic circle,' etc to warm up and then moving on to the Reformer.

I don't want to underestimate the value of the mat exercises because they are really good; I practice them at home and when I travel and have gotten many a kink out of my back doing them on my own. The simplest movement done correctly can make all the difference. But I find that the machines take it all to another level and are just incredible. I credit the Reformer with the fast changes I'm seeing in my body. I did the exercise in that last picture on Friday and Monday--just 5 repetitions of the arm pullies while holding the position--and man it just about killed me in the best way.

I, too, prefer Pilates to yoga. I couldn't stick with yoga even though I was good at it. I think I need machines in a workout and the Pilates machines are IT.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:28 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Rattle
I love Pilates too. I have done yoga in the past but I have to say, I prefer Pilates. I also play semi-competative co-ed volleyball...any other volleyball players out there?
Pilates is the closest thing to athletics that has ever existed in my life. I'm no good at competitive sports.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:45 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I know I should let this thread die but this morning my teacher played Zooropa during class. All by himself with no input from me. Not necessarily thread boostworthy information, but I'm bored waiting for a snowstorm to begin and I think you'll all sleep better tonight with this information. Thank youl.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:15 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I think I could really get motivated to work out if I knew I could listen to Zooropa. Great song! And you didn't even have to suggest it!