Pilate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinball Wizard

Refugee
Toronto-based mellow u2/travis style band who've seen some radio saturation for their single "Into Your Hideout" (From Caught By The Window).

My thoughts: The single is deserving of a listen. There are moments of decency on the album, but it's too early to tell if its interesting enough for replay. A little watered down, but the potential is there for some good music. Maybe Canada might finally offer a decent rock band for the long term.

Then again, maybe this thread will rise up once everyone boycotts them for sucking... and I will get hosed.

Hoping for the former.

I'm not so sure I like them yet... wondering if anyone else has heard of them, or has any profound insight.

well considering i have soulseek open now

i will look into this!

edit: canada still has neil young, you know. :wink:

i loved our lady peace a couple of years back but their last one wasn't very up to standard.

yertle-the-turtle said:
edit: canada still has neil young, you know. :wink:

i loved our lady peace a couple of years back but their last one wasn't very up to standard.

Oh of course yertle. I agree about Our Lady Peace (they actually started to crap out during Spiritual Machines... then all of their appeal was lost)... that's why I was hesitant to say it. But, I thought I covered my bases by saying "long term".

PS- Neil Young isn't a band. But Crazyhorse could be contenders.

:up:

meegannie said:
Similar thread, a year ago.

No one ever listens to me. :angry: I give up.
hey, i remember. i like them. Unfortunately, then, like most things, it faded from the front of my memory... :|
We were at work even, weren't we? that was ages ago... :scratch:

like pilate i have a dog.

cujo, i've heard of them but i think it was because you asked me if i'd heard of them...and i said no. so i haven't really heard of them then.

No one ever listens to me.

they don't listen to me either. well, yertle does. and mofo sometimes too.

I just got that album.
It's okay....some pretty good songs...and some mediocre...on the whole not a bad album.
But holy shit what a Bono soundalike on alot of the songs. :shocked:
And the same goes for that dude Hawksley Workman from Montreal. Another Bono carbon copy. It's freaky :crack:

meegannie said:
Similar thread, a year ago.

No one ever listens to me. :angry: I give up.

Indeed.

I figured since their first album came out a week or two ago, that they didn't have much of a following... so I didn't check past threads. Sorry 'bout that, I listen more than I post.

They actually just came by, opening for the Dears... I passed that up.

From listening to the album I've found it to be mediocre at best. The point I was trying to make was that they have the potential to do something great. It may take a few albums for it to be realized, but they just might be on track to break the mold of the adult contemporary style sludge that has been the mainstay for radio airplay. I do hear the Bono parallels... "tear your walls down"... come on. With Hawksley, I strangley picked up on that as well... he could have a good voice if he used it.

Anyway, for now, they will remain... alright.

:up:

Am I ever behind the times! I just saw the video today for the first time. The volume on my TV was low, and that combined with the fact the photography was jagged-like, much like 'There There', I immediately thought it was Radiohead. I soon realized, of course, it wasn't. But, damn! Good first impression!

I just found a quote on them which reads, "Radiohead meets Crowded House". Interesting take...and not one I find myself really disagreeing with. They've got a great sound, great vocals, and by the sounds of it, a lot of potential as Cujo pointed out. I think his voice is just as much Pablo Honey era Thom Yorke as it is Bono. The sound is almost Unforgettable Fire meets Mathew Good with an early 90s Thom Yorke as the LV. Good stuff.

I don't like that song.

They sound like some sort of blend of Bends-era Radiohead + Coldplay + U2, and while I like all three of these bands a helluva lot, Pilate kinda gives me the heebie jeebies.

I will see them live next Friday as they are opening for David Usher and I've got tickets.

If you want a good Canadian rock act, please go get the Sam Roberts CD. Now that's great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom