Pigs on the wing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Just got Floyd's Animals to replace my old burned copy that disappeared mysteriously. Anyway, I was listening to the CD and began thinking about Waters' lyrics here.

On Pigs On The Wing 'Part 2' he says...

Now that I've found somewhere safe
To bury my bone
And any fool knows a dog needs a home
A shelter from pigs on the wing

So what does he mean? Dogs, who are the cunning back-stabbing villains at the beginning of the album have now become tame and need shelter?... from pigs? Or does the whole 'pigs on the wing' thing refer to flying pigs/impossibilities?

Or am I just reading too much into it? :shifty: :wink:

Either way... brilliant album!

pinkfloydanimals.jpg

Haven't got any thoughts on the meaning of the lyrics cos my brain is fried in the heat here, but i just saw that Animals cover and i just had to say i love the album to bits&have many memories of lidtening to it back in the 70's :drool: and i love Battersea power station (And people think that's weird yes! :huh: )

When is saw it for the first time when i was on the Eurostar, i just about had an orgasm!!! :ohmy: I'm sad eh! :reject:

susanp6 said:
When i saw it for the first time when i was on the Eurostar, i just about had an orgasm!!! :ohmy:

I don't blame you one bit. :drool:

Come to think of it, it looks like an upside down pig doesn't it?... Well, kinda. ;)

I've been looking at the lyrics for the 5 songs on Animals and checking wikipedia, and it seems to me that the Dogs fear the Pigs from the very beginning, here's "Pigs on the Wings Pt. 1":

If you didn't care what happened to me,
and I didn't care for you,
we would zig zag our way through the boredom and pain,
occasionally glancing up through the rain
wondering which of the buggers to blame
and watching for pigs on the wing.

The Dogs are those meglomaniacal businessmen who are burdened by the very weight they can throw around (money, corporations, etc...). And here are the Pigs, who are the corrupt politicians and moralists that conflict direcetly with the Dogs, until the Pigs convinced the Sheep (general public), that the Dogs were evil and corrupt and rise against them.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want
He makes me down to lie
Through pastures green He leadeth me the silent waters by.
With bright knives He releaseth my soul.
He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places.
He converteth me to lamb cutlets,
For lo, He hath great power, and great hunger.
When cometh the day we lowly ones,
Through quiet reflection, and great dedication
Master the art of karate,
Lo, we shall rise up,
And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water.

Bleating and babbling we fell on his neck with a scream.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers
March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

Have you heard the news?
The dogs are dead!
You better stay home
And do as you're told.
Get out of the road if you want to grow old.

That first verse is spoken almost as a prayer, wanting to rise against the Dogs. The second and third verses are the actions of the Dogs being fought by the Sheep, thinking they'll have independence, only to be ruled by the Pigs.

This all parallels George Orwell's 1984, which of course was an allegory for the rise of Communism in Russia.

(I hope what I just spouted makes sense :huh::wink: )

Last edited:
I don't really have much more to add in terms of the general meaning, as LMP has that covered. :wink: The message of the album, in condensed form, is basically that no-one is safe from the pigs (the political and moral oppressors - Waters used Mary Whitehouse as an example in Pigs 3DO.) Not the dogs, not the sheep, not anyone.

However, there is hope amongst all this cynicism, which you see in the second part of Pigs On The Wing. People often miss the point of that song and unfairly label Animals as being too cynical when it actually isn't - the point is that if you know you've got someone who loves you and you know that you love her/him too, you can get through everything mentioned in Dogs, Pigs 3DO, and Sheep. Notice how in Pigs On The Wing (Part One), Waters says "If you didn't care what happened to me, and I didn't care for you, we would zig zag our way through the boredom and pain." If. Then he proceeds through with the three cynical songs in the centre of the album. With Part 2, the lyrics read "You know that I care what happens to you, and I know that you care for me too, so I don't feel alone or the weight of the stone." That "stone" is mentioned in Dogs, too: "So have a good drown as you go down all alone, dragged down by the stone." The stone is obviously a metaphor for all the things that can destroy you emotionally.

Pigs On The Wing used to be one song until it got split up for the album. Some of the more pro-Gilmour fans claim that this was just done so that Waters could get more money (PF royalties back then were based on the number of songs, not the length of the songs) but I think it's fairly obvious why it was split up - to support the theme of the album. Part one sets the scene for a world where people don't care for one another, which is then further developed by the three songs that follow it. Part two is the counterbalance, I think, the section that provides hope in the face of all the evil mentioned in the previous three songs. Absolutely essential then, that Pigs On The Wing was split up.

Anyway, whatever Animals means, I think there's no doubt that it's an absolutely incredible album. :)

EDIT: Blargh, I hate typing too quickly for my thoughts.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
Just got Floyd's Animals to replace my old burned copy that disappeared mysteriously. Anyway, I was listening to the CD and began thinking about Waters' lyrics here.

On Pigs On The Wing 'Part 2' he says...

Now that I've found somewhere safe
To bury my bone
And any fool knows a dog needs a home
A shelter from pigs on the wing

So what does he mean? Dogs, who are the cunning back-stabbing villains at the beginning of the album have now become tame and need shelter?... from pigs? Or does the whole 'pigs on the wing' thing refer to flying pigs/impossibilities?

Or am I just reading too much into it? :shifty: :wink:

Either way... brilliant album!

pinkfloydanimals.jpg

I think The line about the dog needing a home refers to the fact he thinks of himself as a bit of a dog.

Edit... brilliant album Dogs and sheep being two of the best .

Last edited:
xaviMF22 said:
arent the songs Pings on the Wing Part 1&2 about Roger's wife?

Well, Roger probably wrote it with his wife at the time in mind, but both parts and their meanings are still ambiguous enough that they can apply to people in general. I don't think it's only about her and that's that. Has to relate to the overall theme. It's interesting, though, that Waters might be labelling himself as one of the dogs. Makes sense, in a way. There are even some lines at the end of Dogs itself that could apply to him. For instance: "Who was born in a house full of pain?"

I love analysing lyrics, especially when the lyrics are complex enough to actually analyse. :drool: Part of what makes Pink Floyd circa 1968-1983 so fun to be a fan of.

Either way, it's a killer album. I've never tried to analyze it, but it's definately among my top 5 desert island discs. :up:

now that you mention the words "Desert" and "Island"

make sure you guys place your votes in the Desert Island thread, preferrably for yours truly. :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:
now that you mention the words "Desert" and "Island"

make sure you guys place your votes in the Desert Island thread, preferrably for yours truly. :wink:

I already have. :sexywink:

LMP & Gibby, thanks for your detailed responses! :bow:

Wow. I knew the basic concept of the album as to what the dogs, pigs and sheep represented but had no idea about the sheep revolting against the dogs and such. I haven't read Orwell's 1984 although I would like to. :reject:

Oh, my mistake, I meant Animal Farm.

same author, wrong book. :huh:

Animal Farm is really a great book, and is even better WHILE listening to Animals.

:up:

Zootlesque said:
LMP & Gibby, thanks for your detailed responses! :bow:

Wow. I knew the basic concept of the album as to what the dogs, pigs and sheep represented but had no idea about the sheep revolting against the dogs and such. I haven't read Orwell's 1984 although I would like to. :reject:

:kiss:

I think LMP meant Orwell's Animal Farm, not 1984. Animal Farm is amazing. 1984 is too, so you should read it anyway! Animal Farm is an easy read (I read it around age twelve) but it's brilliant. The Animal Farm/Animals connection only hit me later, but the similarities are definitely there. The pigs represent the leaders in the novel. I don't want to spoil it, but the ending to Animal Farm is one of my favourite fictional endings of all time.

Roger Waters has denied that Animal Farm had any influence on his writing. If he's telling the truth, then it's the greatest coincidence of the 20th century. :wink:

EDIT: I type too slowly. :lol:

I had to read it for school, and it was definitely my favorite book of the year :up:

Silly Roger Waters, false allegations are for kids. :giggle:

GibsonGirl said:

Well, Roger probably wrote it with his wife at the time in mind, but both parts and their meanings are still ambiguous enough that they can apply to people in general. I don't think it's only about her and that's that. Has to relate to the overall theme. It's interesting, though, that Waters might be labelling himself as one of the dogs. Makes sense, in a way. There are even some lines at the end of Dogs itself that could apply to him. For instance: "Who was born in a house full of pain?"

I love analysing lyrics, especially when the lyrics are complex enough to actually analyse. :drool: Part of what makes Pink Floyd circa 1968-1983 so fun to be a fan of.

I too love to look deeper into lyrics and Floyd is so much fun to do this. I'm not sure if anyone is really into the Floyd ablum the Final Cut but it is so full of fantastic imagery and all that I went through high School disecting every word actually thier whole catalogue was fun to do that.

YBORCITYOBL said:
Four Legs GOOD!!!!!

Two Legs BAAAAAAA AAAADDDD!!!

:wink:

My high school history teacher used to scream that out whenever anyone tilted backwards on their chairs. :lol: The other kids in my class didn't get it.

GibsonGirl said:

My high school history teacher used to scream that out whenever anyone tilted backwards on their chairs. :lol: The other kids in my class didn't get it.

:lol:

I had a geometry teacher who would yell "Doodleberries!" or "Doodleberry Bunkers!" and variations of that to replace saying shit or son of a bitch.

It turned out that doodleberries meant testicles, but she didn't know that, so when she said "Oh my sweet doodleberries!" the class erupted in laughter.

YBORCITYOBL said:

I too love to look deeper into lyrics and Floyd is so much fun to do this. I'm not sure if anyone is really into the Floyd ablum the Final Cut but it is so full of fantastic imagery and all that I went through high School disecting every word actually thier whole catalogue was fun to do that.

The Final Cut is my favourite Floyd album behind Animals. I've listened to it obsessively for years now, and I never get tired of it. The lyrics are absolutely stunning from start to finish (excluding Not Now John, which is a little on the ugly side but still sounds cool.)

The title track is so beautiful and so moving...

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear-stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time
And far from flying high in clear blue skies
I'm spiralling down to the hole in the ground where I hide

If you negotiate the mine field in the drive
And beat the dogs and cheat the cold electronic eyes
And if you make it past the shotguns in the hall
Dial the combination, open the priesthole
And if I'm in I'll tell you...

There's a kid who had a big hallucination
Making love to girls in magazines
He wonders if you're sleeping with your new found faith
Could anybody love him?
Or is it just a crazy dream?

And if I show you my dark side
Will you still hold me tonight?
And if I open my heart to you
Show you my weak side
What would you do?

Would you sell your story to Rolling Stone?
Would you take the children away and leave me alone?
And smile in reassurance as you whisper down the phone
Would you send me packing?
Or would you take me home?

[Insert saddest guitar solo ever]

Thought I ought to bare my naked feelings
Thought I ought to tear the curtain down
I held the blade in trembling hands, prepared to make it but...
Just then the phone rang
I never had the nerve to make the final cut.

:(

I challenge any songwriter to come up with anything better than that.

The Gunner's Dream is my favorite off of The Final Cut with The Final Cut in a close second.

such an amazing album :up:

xaviMF22 said:

That's my favourite Corporal Clegg video! It's worth it to watch all five parts. Part two's the best, though. I love it that the dinner is going along innocently enough until David Gilmour pours champagne into Roger Waters' lap...then all hell breaks loose! :lol: The tension was there right from the beginning. :wink:

EDIT: Here they all are.

Part One:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_Bv60hVLs

Part Two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxQlpgJiZVQ

Part Three:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwyvLLvXGpQ
( :lol: @ Roger and David wrestling)

Part Four
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_lyUgcONEQ

Part Five:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJMK4AJfkcM

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

That's my favourite Corporal Clegg video! It's worth it to watch all five parts. Part two's the best, though. I love it that the dinner is going along innocently enough until David Gilmour pours champagne into Roger Waters' lap...then all hell breaks loose! :lol: The tension was there right from the beginning. :wink:

EDIT: Here they all are.

Part One:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8_Bv60hVLs

Part Two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxQlpgJiZVQ

Part Three:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwyvLLvXGpQ
( :lol: @ Roger and David wrestling)

Part Four
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_lyUgcONEQ

Part Five:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJMK4AJfkcM

thanx for the links

its great to see them all having fun......

I wonder what they think of those videos now:wink:

xaviMF22 said:

I wonder what they think of those videos now:wink:

I think Roger would be quite proud of the way he punched Gilmour in the face. :wink:

It's always nice to see the fun side of Pink Floyd. People often label them as overly serious and depressing... There is NOTHING serious or depressing about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bevjr7GxmI

Still the greatest early Floyd video of all time. Nope, that's not a video syncing problem at the beginning, just poor lip syncing!

That stuff is hilarious! :lol: And I thought my family dinners were eventful...WHOA!

It's so sad how Syd went nuts...but also amazing how they resurrected, at the same time. That last clip almost documents that transition, with Roger's incredible lip-syncing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom